E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help figuring out susp. problem, alignment sheet attached

08-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Brought the car to a local indie shop for an alignment, and to check out what's wrong with my suspension. It would exhibit a grinding sensation when turning all the way, and not be completly smooth while driving.

They claim I need to replace just the front right control arm, and they explaned that when i brake the car hard- that the front right would give in more than the left, and it really does that. They said driving the way it is now is going to destory the tires, so I would really like this taken care of asap.
My car is an e90 lci , with just the old bmw performance suspension on it (shocks/ struts). IMO this alignment sheet doesn't look right, any input would be really appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Rear left suspension is way off...camber should be even with the right and the toe as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
infinitigor
Major
Rep

can somebody please recommend a shop in NYC that is VERY familiar with 335i suspensions and would be able to help diagnose this issue quickly,

yes the rear left tire was down to rim, very badly aligned thats why I took it to the shop, seems like they didn't do anything...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Your front caster shouldn't be that different between the left an right. I think something is bent since caster is not adjustable.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Your front caster shouldn't be that different between the left an right. I think something is bent since caster is not adjustable.
Yes, I was told I need to replace my control arms, more so the front right then front left. When i brake hard, the front right side gives in much more than the left side, so it does make some sense.

I just don't want to go on and buy these parts and still be dealing with these issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Rear is way off target, did they weight the car and check/set with correctly measured ride/body height? Car will never track straight at those settings, if they truely represent the physical geometry.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Midnight Magic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i - Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
can somebody please recommend a shop in NYC that is VERY familiar with 335i suspensions and would be able to help diagnose this issue quickly,

yes the rear left tire was down to rim, very badly aligned thats why I took it to the shop, seems like they didn't do anything...
PM Matt@CamberToe. Shop is located on Merrick Road Long Island. He'll take care of you. He does a great job for a reasonable price.

When you panic brake, does the steering wheel twitch?
Cosmetic>// Lux H8 Amber Halo // Performance Kidney // MTech Bumper w/Smoked Fogs / Side Skirts //
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Check your struts...possibly bent.
      08-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Magic View Post
PM Matt@CamberToe. Shop is located on Merrick Road Long Island. He'll take care of you. He does a great job for a reasonable price.

When you panic brake, does the steering wheel twitch?
Thanks, I'v been to 3 places already and all something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Rear is way off target, did they weight the car and check/set with correctly measured ride/body height? Car will never track straight at those settings, if they truely represent the physical geometry.

HighlandPete
I never follow the way bmw recommends to do an alignment. Waste of time. I have done all my cars unloaded including my own and they track fine and wear the tires evenly. My rear runflats I got 31k out of them, wore them bald evenly all the way across. Cant get bettdr than that.

To the OP, if the tension rods have not been replaced, then you need to do so before I see whats up with the car. I recommend doing M3 tension rods at least as they have very little flex in them and greatly improve the feel under braking. also you might have a bent strut or worse, a broken strut mount (i have seen them literally fall out of a customers car). Worst case scenario is you wacked the spindle, which is over 1000 bucks just by itself.

As far as the rear goes, I need to see whats up and why they couldnt get it into spec. Is it lowered?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
I never follow the way bmw recommends to do an alignment. Waste of time. I have done all my cars unloaded including my own and they track fine and wear the tires evenly. My rear runflats I got 31k out of them, wore them bald evenly all the way across. Cant get bettdr than that.

To the OP, if the tension rods have not been replaced, then you need to do so before I see whats up with the car. I recommend doing M3 tension rods at least as they have very little flex in them and greatly improve the feel under braking. also you might have a bent strut or worse, a broken strut mount (i have seen them literally fall out of a customers car). Worst case scenario is you wacked the spindle, which is over 1000 bucks just by itself.

As far as the rear goes, I need to see whats up and why they couldnt get it into spec. Is it lowered?
The tension rods have not have been replaced, I have been considering that m3 set you were talking about, might as well get it with m3 arms as well.

The car has the "old" bmw performance suspension on it (shocks/struts), only worry with me is that if one of those parts are bent, that sourcing them would even be possible.

Really hope it is not the spindle given how expensive it is, but it very well may be given how hard it hit a curb a while ago - but all was replaced were the shocks/struts, and a control arm nothing else.

pic of first hit in the past

I guess all I can do in the meantime is order that set...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

If you can get it here before 12 today, Ill throw it up on the rack and have a look. I think we are closing early with all this hurricane mess...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I never follow the way bmw recommends to do an alignment. Waste of time. I have done all my cars unloaded including my own and they track fine and wear the tires evenly. My rear runflats I got 31k out of them, wore them bald evenly all the way across. Cant get better than that.
You know what you are doing... even so, you are not guessing at it, you have points of reference, even unloaded.

It is not unknown to see a readout, all set well within tolerance and the car is a pig. Get it on another rig and have it weighted and height measured to find rear camber/toe is way out, side to side. Obviously not adjusted the first time from any reference data.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you can get it here before 12 today, Ill throw it up on the rack and have a look. I think we are closing early with all this hurricane mess...
Yea.. today's not too good. I'll stop by as soon as the storm clears and its safe to stop by there. In the mean time maybe I should not buy any parts?

And also.. I was checking for used spindles / knuckles, and they are about ~200 from salvage yards with 30day warranty for refund/ exchange. Something I may consider, will be keeping in touch! Glad I found someone who knows what their doing with these cars.
Appreciate 0