BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any indepedent contractors here? w9 and 1099 tax help

04-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

any indepedent contractors here? w9 and 1099 tax help

might take a second job...courier company wants hires independent contractors...they gave me a w9 form to fill out...

considering the amount of work and length of employment is not gaurenteed , should i bother calling up the IRS to get an EIN number? i know for tax purposes an EIN and social are the same thing, im just basically reluctant to give out my social...is that a valid concern lo when applyin for a jobl?!

im wondering if by applying for an EIN number im considered a sole proprietorship...and as a sole proprietorship my personal assets (not much) are not protected?? even though i would be an indy contractor through the courier business, and the courier business is fully licensed and insured up to 1million, should i be worried about my personal belongings?!?! am i thinking too much haha...

any help would be great...thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If you're worried, get an LLC/EIN LLC basically protects your personal assets from your business screw-ups.
Appreciate 0