BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > M-Flight

Mporium BMW

04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

US Maps upon re-entry to USA

Gents,

Most of you may not have encountered this yet because you are still "expats," but I wanted to bring a problem that I am having to the forum. My vehicle shipped from Germany about two months ago and I just had it registered in CA. Now it is on the truck from CA to Washington D.C. and I have been calling to make appointments to have my German maps deleted and the US maps uploaded. The three dealerships that I have called are all quoting me around 300 dollars to have this done. 266 dollars for labor and then a fee for an "enabling code" which links the maps to the car.

Personally, I think that this is total BS. When I got the car in Germany, it was US spec so it already came loaded with US maps. The BMW AG guys installed the German maps free of charge, and said that BMW NA guys would do exactly the same upon re-entry. I realize now that I was stupid for believing in that, but am I off the mark for thinking that it is ridiculous that BMW is going to make me pay for these maps? I have seen exactly how the maps are uploaded, and it is probably one of the most simple services that BMW can perform. All they have to do is link the CIC to the computer and let it upload the software.

My biggest issue with this is that, in my mind, I am being forced to pay for the same service twice. I already paid for navigation the first time (which came with US maps), and now I am having to pay for the US maps the second time.

I have already taken this up with BMW NA, and they basically told me to go to hell and that it is a "customer pay" situation. I'm not rolling over that easy though...

My questions are: 1) has anybody else dealt with this and 2) am I being a baby and should I just shut-up and pay?

Thanks!
      04-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
1) NO
and 2) NO

Having a Pre-LCI'd Navi, I only needed a DVD with EU Maps. I still have the US DVD (2008.1), however, not sure if a copy of this DVD is a solution for you.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Cheers,
A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Gents,

Most of you may not have encountered this yet because you are still "expats," but I wanted to bring a problem that I am having to the forum. My vehicle shipped from Germany about two months ago and I just had it registered in CA. Now it is on the truck from CA to Washington D.C. and I have been calling to make appointments to have my German maps deleted and the US maps uploaded. The three dealerships that I have called are all quoting me around 300 dollars to have this done. 266 dollars for labor and then a fee for an "enabling code" which links the maps to the car.

Personally, I think that this is total BS. When I got the car in Germany, it was US spec so it already came loaded with US maps. The BMW AG guys installed the German maps free of charge, and said that BMW NA guys would do exactly the same upon re-entry. I realize now that I was stupid for believing in that, but am I off the mark for thinking that it is ridiculous that BMW is going to make me pay for these maps? I have seen exactly how the maps are uploaded, and it is probably one of the most simple services that BMW can perform. All they have to do is link the CIC to the computer and let it upload the software.

My biggest issue with this is that, in my mind, I am being forced to pay for the same service twice. I already paid for navigation the first time (which came with US maps), and now I am having to pay for the US maps the second time.

I have already taken this up with BMW NA, and they basically told me to go to hell and that it is a "customer pay" situation. I'm not rolling over that easy though...

My questions are: 1) has anybody else dealt with this and 2) am I being a baby and should I just shut-up and pay?

Thanks!

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
1) NO
and 2) NO

Having a Pre-LCI'd Navi, I only needed a DVD with EU Maps. I still have the US DVD (2008.1), however, not sure if a copy of this DVD is a solution for you.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Cheers,
A.
DVD is definitely not the answer...unfortunately. The car has to be hooked up to the computer to get the software updated. Totally a pain in the ass. I got a quote for $205 from VOB Bmw, so I am going to see if I can get lower. I have exhausted every option with BMW Customer Relations, and they insist that this is a customer pay situation. I think it is totally bogus. For all of you fellow service members out there in Germany and abroad, make sure to get your US maps put back on before you ship your car. BMW AG will do it for free, BMW NA will charge you!
      09-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Yup, my dealer told me he would unlock the US maps that are already on the hard drive free of charge when I went back. Just gotta set up an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
johnsondg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4 MG/SO and '11 RRS

I did the same thing. Ordered my BMW in Germany and had it shipped directly to South Carolina where I picked it up. It arrived with Euro maps and the GPS was stuck off the coast of Portugal where they did a battery check on the ship. The '09 M3 requires a hard drive update that is covered under warranty and takes a few hours. Just make sure you ask your SA if their update equipment has the software to convert from Euro to US maps. My dealer had to order a DVD from Germany and update their own equipment since it is rare they perform this type of update.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
When I returned in September '09 from Germany with my 135 - it was a total pain in the - -

After 5 phone calls to BMW NA - 2 dealers - (1st dealer wanted to throw a DVD at me to update my maps and charge 300 bucks; that was in Charleston.)

So The BMW Store in Cincinnati - worked their butt off to get this up and running for me. Took 4 days in the shop and multiple calls to the tech team. But, basically, they had to wipe out the old software and install new (not just the nav section) - an overnight update from what they said.

Just this past month they updated my software again as the system was getting a little 'buggy' with screen acting funny and not showing maps correct etc. Both times fully covered under warranty.

Everything is working fine now

Best news so far is - have appt on May 3rd for the upgrade to Dinan stage 2 - I'm ready for my 384 hp and 421 torque (:

I really think they need a military rep at BMW NA - the phone calls were a pain to begin with as well as a blind goose chase on getting answers. At one point they had me talking to the BMW FS - hello ??
      04-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
MkLV_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

My car was delivered in Germany while I was stationed there and when I ordered they asked which maps I wanted, US or Euro. Since I still had about 4 months in Germany I had it preloaded with the euro maps. They said i would have to pay for the US maps once i got back to the states. I had no problem with that, they told me ahead of time I would get one set of maps on the hard drive for free.

The problem was getting the maps updated. It was March 09 when I was trying to get them updated and no one seemed to know how to do it since no one had needed it done so soon after the new iDrive came out. The SA tried to sell my the DVDs and I had to argue with him that it is a new idrive and uses a hard drive, he didnt believe me until he called BMW NA. But like "135iUSN" said it is a long update, it took 9 hours on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Odd, I was never offered a choice of maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
rwchrist
CMPULSV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine White

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I took delivery of my 09 in June of last year at Munich. I was still stationed over there and it had Euro maps on it. I drove it for a couple of weeks and then put it on the ship. I got it here and took it to the dealer, and yes it was a pain, but they did load them for free. Not really sure why they didn't charge me after reading your post cuz them and I do not see eye to eye on anything. Maybe I will cut them a bit of slack now.

Bottom line...it took an over night update, but it was done for free.

Good luck!

2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
tampabayboy
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Free of charge

When I came back to the US in November, I made an appointment with the local BMW service department and they loaded the US maps for free. It took about 4 hours because they had to load 3 DVDs, but they said it was covered under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Herknav
Won't drink the koolaid
United_States
Rep
Drives: blown and all natural

To add to the knowledge base, I just had the US maps uploaded here (K-town) for free. All I did was ask my sales advisor the right questions. Tommorrow I drive her to Frankfurt to be shipped... of course, I need a second GPS to find the place....
      05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

In Ansbach all I had to do was setup an appt, after that I got them loaded and drove to frankfurt for drop off and that was it.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Raustin
Cmd Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

My 09 M3 is in Baltimore waiting for me to pick her up on 3 June. Pentagon told me that BMW would no longer load the US maps. I asked twice but got the same answer???? Sort of confused why a few of you guys got the maps loaded and I was told it was impossible?

Peace.
Bob
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #14
Herknav
Won't drink the koolaid
United_States
Rep
Drives: blown and all natural

That sounds like a question for BMW. Who did you talk to about loading the maps?
      09-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
remsM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

I pay for mine to get the US Maps around $225 I think, I could have install prior to shipping back to CONUS for 50euros but my timing is off. So just pay and get done with it.
Appreciate 0