E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Is the dealership playing with me?

04-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
jkwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 750LI

Is the dealership playing with me?

Ok so I'll be honest up front. I don't know much about buying cars and I went to a used dealership to buy 335 vert/cabrio '08. Found the one I wanted and he told me the price was 49,950 (9,500 miles). But today as I was looking through autotrader I found the one I test drove online being sold by the same dealership for 2 grand less.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I guess my question is...Is the dealership purposely giving me a high price so I negotiate and think I win when I bring the price down 2k (a price he was already fine with?). Also what is the price I should try negotiating for?

And also, is this 335 '08 vert a good deal? He told me it has all the options but are there any other cars I am overlooking around the same price range (I considered the '09 audi tt-s but decided the sport classification would hurt my insurance.

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

if you can buy it for $44,000 , then it might be a good deal. Although this car doesn't have the sports package. Since it is not a CPO, I would definitely look over it carefully.Get a CARFAX, a must !!!! I don't like this dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Buy NEW or CPO only ........ especially with these cars.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Stay away from a non BMW dealer since they can't certify the car......Yes,they were telling you a higher price so they can let you think you got a great deal.Shop the market,check cars.com,ebay,then your area BMW dealers to get knowledgeable about what you're looking for.This is a large purchase,do your homework.If you find the car you really want,make a fair offer !
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Most dealers that advertise online will post a better price online.
It's not fully loaded. Looks like it has premium package and cold weather package. No sport package. Sport Package is a must IMO.

Before you buy have the VIN number run at the dealer to see what it's been in for service for. That way you'll know if it's been in for service a lot. If it has don't buy it. Have it inspected to see if it's been in a collision. You always gotta wonder why such a new car would be up for sale. Could just be a trade in for something nicer or a repo but you never know.

Good luck with the search!

Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
jkwhat
Private
Rep

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...#DetailSection

Is the carfax report. Was auctioned (dunno exactly what that means for the car though). I called the dealership and the dealer told me that the car can only be CPO'd if it's older than two years so I think I am still part of the initial warrenty? Also isn't the design being redone for the 2010 edition? What does sports package include and is it something I can do myself if I find it is THAT necessary? Also I can't seem to find any other manual tranny 335 cabrios that are either black or white...
Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Sport package is a necessity for the sport seats alone imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Sport package is a necessity for the sport seats alone imo.
+1. I can't imagine buying one without the Sport package. This dealership definitely seems shady, I wouldn't rush into anything. From my past experiences with dealers, they're only going to tell you as much as they have to so take your time with your research.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
325/528
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

Strange "certification" - they certify that it has not had any body panels replaced (but says nothing about fixed and painted) or any frame damage.

Seems goofy to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
boostin4fun
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i CP

horrible deal. you can do much better. i bought my coupe from steve at desert bmw of las vegas. give him a call, he will hook you up!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
boostin4fun
Banned
Rep

but you should know all of this you have that you drive a 750 in your profile so what gives?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
jkwhat
Private
Rep

Update! So the dealer kept telling me "all the options, all the options!" until I pointed out that there wasn't a sports package and told me that you really only need that with the ///m cars (eh? I have the special seats with my 7 and there helpful but not to the point where I would look for another car). But He told me 50k until I pointed out that I found the car online for 48k and he said "oh, well we have a sale this weekend" not even admitting that until he finds the site that maintains that price. Anyways he told me 48k firm and a long explanation of why this car is a better investment than a new car. He was told that I would buy the car today if it was 44k. He declined and I walked out saying I would think about it. As I was driving away he flags us down and tells us his manager will take 1k off if we buy today (47k). I say I will think about it and drive.

I will be going to a BMW dealership and seeing what the price will be for a brand new 335i cabrio would be. Does anyone know a ballpark price I should be hoping for in a new one? Also what is the difference at this point for a coupe with the same features (I want all options esssentially). If the difference between a coupe and a vert is somewhere around 6-8k (new) then I can't really justify the purpose. But If I can get a good deal (I am skeptical because it may be a buyer's market but I assume verts aren't really the average type of car to sell) I'll definitely grab one. I'm leaning towards new right now as I feel more comfortable with it and I could probably find the sports seats. Was the 44k that someone suggested above too low a suggestion for him? Regardless I'll probably end up taking my business elsewhere but the place IMO isn't too shady as they had maseratis to carreras in their arsenal. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll be in a 3 soon. =)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
boostin4fun
Banned
Rep

do yourself a favor and price it all out at kbb.com

44K does sound good to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Price it out. If it's not CPO, then it should be 2-3k cheaper than one at a BMW dealer anyway.

I think the internet prices are for the "savvy consumer", who they know will check KBB and edmunds and autotrader etc. to find out what they paid for the car. For people who will come in with printouts of figures etc. It's kind of like walking into XYZ store without a coupon, they're not going to offer you the coupon. If you have it and use it, good for you, but they're not going to say, "Oh, hey, we have this coupon for $100 off this product, here use it!" Arm yourself with knowledge!

That being said, before it turned out I was going to buy my mom's car, I still talked them down more off of the "bottom line, no haggle internet price."

It's funny in some of the online autotrader ads you can see the sticker hanging from the rearview with the "lot" price and then they have another lower price for the "online" price.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

They should be desparate to sell this thing. I walked away from 08 AW loaded to the max except the sports package. I am thinking WTF ? what were they thinking when they ordered the car ? it was a beautiful car . AW with black leather, nav, active steering, CA, Cold weather package, etc. etc. BUT no sports package... I walked out and never looked back. tell them you need it have it certified so all you can offer is $42,500 + tax and tags. go to www.penfed.org if you are going to finance the car. don't go through the dealership. They will cook you there. go there with the check in your hand from pentagon federal or other bank. most are offering 4.0 % for 60 months on used cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
jkwhat
Private
Rep

I was offered 45k today. I was also givent he opportunity to buy a brand new one for 54k... what to do...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Skully
Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

HPFP was replaced at 4776 miles.
      04-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
jkwhat
Private
Rep

What's that? (HPFP)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
jkwhat
Private
Rep

High pressure fuel pump.. Is that being replaced something that should mean DONT BUY or just something that happens and nothing to worry about?
Appreciate 0