BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Rear suspension question

04-19-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
moebiuz
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Rear suspension question

Hello there

So I have some questions regarding the suspension parts and most precisely, what part exactly gives a car its height apart from the spring, or how you can modify the height. I want the car to have its original rear height.

I believe my car, a 130i with M package, from 2008, is too low on the rear, or lower than other cars I have seen (maybe someone did modify it in the past but I don't know how to confirm this), also some people have mentioned to me how low the rear looks, making it look decompensated. Front looks fine. So my question is, what could be the reason for it to be lower? What would be the parts someone touched to make it lower? If anything, the rear springs on my car say "D2" on them.

In the future I would like to put Bilstein B6 instead of OEM or Bilstein B4, but I'm not entirely sure what every part in this diagram do and if I have to replace all of them (other than the Shock absorber of course)

Sorry for asking too much and if not allowed, mods can delete the thread please.

Many thanks.

My car:

Stock rear:

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 04:36 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The height is determined by the spring. BMW rear springs are quite known for breaking - sometimes it's hard to notice. I would get it up on a lift and take a look or have someone else inspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebiuz View Post
Hello there

So I have some questions regarding the suspension parts and most precisely, what part exactly gives a car its height apart from the spring, or how you can modify the height. I want the car to have its original rear height.

I believe my car, a 130i with M package, from 2008, is too low on the rear, or lower than other cars I have seen (maybe someone did modify it in the past but I don't know how to confirm this), also some people have mentioned to me how low the rear looks, making it look decompensated. Front looks fine. So my question is, what could be the reason for it to be lower? What would be the parts someone touched to make it lower? If anything, the rear springs on my car say "D2" on them.
Looks lowered to me, front also looks lower than stock, (unless it is the angle the picture is taken).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 05:51 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

D2 sounds like the correct spring. I'd also check they're not broken.

The rear subframe bushings also affect ride height, and stock ones are pretty soft. It's a solid job to replace them, but I'd recommend upgrading to M3/1M ones if you do.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:59 PM   #5
moebiuz
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Yeah, I have also heard about the rear subframe bushing to replace,

So I'll update the thread whenever I do anything to the suspension to see if I can get it back to its normal height.

Thanks for the replies!
Appreciate 0