BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Steering wheel shimmers

06-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
woodT
Rep
Drives: x1

Steering wheel shimmers

I am hoping I can get some help.

I just purchased a used 2018 BMW X1 with about 10,000 miles on it. When I test drove the vehicle, I noticed in stop and go traffic that the steering wheel would "shimmy" to the left upon slight acceleration. The car went in for a four wheel alignment to a BMW dealer, and it seemed to fix the problem; however, occasionally, and one that is hard to reproduce every time, the shimmy still occurs. It mainly happens if I am at a slow roll [1 mph] and I accelerate gently, or if I am going about 20-30 mph and will feel an occasional twitch in the steering wheel. It does not seem to happen at higher speeds, and the car, when left to drive, rides straight with no pull. The front right passenger-side tire does have more wear to it than the other three tires, but the wear seems even.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what it could be? Has anyone experienced this before?

thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I think it's in the electric steering system. My 2018 X1 iDrive28 does the same thing and I only have 5000 miles on mine. It feels like your steering wheel hits a blank spot and you loose front wheel control for a fraction of a second at low speed. It's as if the electric power assist can't decide whether to make the steering feel light or heavy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
woodT
Rep
Drives: x1

that is exactly the feeling I get. the steering wheel jitters or twitches to the left on mine.
Have you had any luck in getting the dealer to take care of it?
Appreciate 0