BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) New X1 owner. Some questions.

06-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
freinando
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 xDrive

New X1 owner. Some questions.

Wanted to introduce myself, as I will be lurking in this forum from now on. Just bought a used 2016 X1 with 31k miles last night, sales price $22k US dollars. Silver with Dakota leather mocha interior and angel eyes. I'm attaching the original MSRP window sticker.

Got any tips? I usually do some of the maintenance on my own cars. Things like oil changes (using the siphoning method from the top), brake pads replacement, air filters replacement, you know the usual stuff. Haven't looked at the oil filter placement on this car, but I'm hoping I could do an over the top oil change without having to get under.

About the Dakota leather, I noticed that the leather smell is not that great, at least compared to my Audi A6 leather smell. Is that normal?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

22k whoa that is really low (as well as low miles). I'm second guessing getting a 2020 as the depreciation cost dropped a lot for the 3 years. Was was the sticker on the car before you got it for 22k?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
22k whoa that is really low (as well as low miles). I'm second guessing getting a 2020 as the depreciation cost dropped a lot for the 3 years. Was was the sticker on the car before you got it for 22k?
It was one of those "no haggle price" dealers, so that was actually their asking price. They had it initially for $23.5k 2 weeks ago, but dropped it to $22k this week. This is $22k + tax, title, reg, and dealer fee. So final out of the door amount was $24.5k.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Most new cars depreciate from 45% to 50% over 3 years, so the price is about right. This seems to be an off-lease, however, as most BMWs are, I would prefer an one-owner since lease cars usually had a much harder life than an owned one. I know many don't bother to wash or change oil in their leases. I would keep an eye on oil level in case the engine is burning oil. But if you are covered under CPO warranty, you should be Okay.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
Most new cars depreciate from 45% to 50% over 3 years, so the price is about right. This seems to be an off-lease, however, as most BMWs are, I would prefer an one-owner since lease cars usually had a much harder life than an owned one. I know many don't bother to wash or change oil in their leases. I would keep an eye on oil level in case the engine is burning oil. But if you are covered under CPO warranty, you should be Okay.
No CPO warranty here, just the remaining 11 month manufacturer's warranty left. Oil level reading was good. It drives great and all that, but today I noticed a clunk noise coming from the front driver wheel when going over speed bumps. Suspension problem maybe? Shocks, struts? . I scheduled an appointment with BMW to check it out, I assume if it's any of those issues, it should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. I had a similar issue with my A6, and Audi covered the costs. One thing I noticed is the springs in this car are very soft, to the point that it bounces a bit when going over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

A very rough check of the shocks is if you press down hard on the body so the strut compresses and then let go it should only bounce one and a half times ie bounce back then go down halfway
      06-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #7
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
A very rough check of the shocks is if you press down hard on the body so the strut compresses and then let go it should only bounce one and a half times ie bounce back then go down halfway
I will have them checked today and post back the outcome.

Unrelated question. When I look at the 2 exhausts, passenger side tip is nice and polished compared to the other tip. I noticed there’s a flap, but not sure if it should look that much clean and shiny compared to the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by freinando View Post
It was one of those "no haggle price" dealers, so that was actually their asking price. They had it initially for $23.5k 2 weeks ago, but dropped it to $22k this week. This is $22k + tax, title, reg, and dealer fee. So final out of the door amount was $24.5k.

I never understood the "no haggle price" so if a website mentions this, does that mean the price is firm usually? I mean that is great so I don't feel dealer taking more money then I though but then again seems like its higher then I normally thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I never understood the "no haggle price" so if a website mentions this, does that mean the price is firm usually? I mean that is great so I don't feel dealer taking more money then I though but then again seems like its higher then I normally thought.
Correct. It’s take it or leave it, they won’t negotiate. The moment they start negotiating the price then they can’t call themselves a no haggle price dealer anymore. I honestly didn’t buy there because of that, but rather because it was the best price for that car I found in the last 4 weeks of search. I was specifically looking for a 2016 with reasonably low miles and angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freinando View Post
I will have them checked today and post back the outcome.

Unrelated question. When I look at the 2 exhausts, passenger side tip is nice and polished compared to the other tip. I noticed there’s a flap, but not sure if it should look that much clean and shiny compared to the other.
Normal. The flap only opens under certain conditions (spirited driving, sport mode). It's usually closed so most of exhaust soot buildup will be mostly on driver side.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

My BMW RT Bike has a flap in the front pipe and in the earlier ones they seized. The later ones have been modified.
      06-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
RoopD
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine Weiss

Hi,

Is Navigation Plus in a X1 the same as Navigation Professional (on my F30)?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoopD View Post
Hi,

Is Navigation Plus in a X1 the same as Navigation Professional (on my F30)?
No, it is a business navigation package.

The Navigation plus refers to the option bundle, in most markets this covers a touch iDrive controller, larger CID (display screen), OTA update (country not continent) and did also include HUD. The actual Nav software is the same as basic Nav. Unfortunately it is no way near as good as BMW professional Nav.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
RoopD
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
No, it is a business navigation package.

The Navigation plus refers to the option bundle, in most markets this covers a touch iDrive controller, larger CID (display screen), OTA update (country not continent) and did also include HUD. The actual Nav software is the same as basic Nav. Unfortunately it is no way near as good as BMW professional Nav.
Thanks for your explain.
Can i use Bimmercode to code mirror casting on Navigation plus on my X1?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoopD View Post
Thanks for your explain.
Can i use Bimmercode to code mirror casting on Navigation plus on my X1?
Thanks in advance
Don’t mind to be rude, but can you post this on a separate thread?

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #16
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder engine, but I don't think you'll be able to do an oil change by siphoning from above on most modern BMWs.
      06-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Unfortunately, the leather in the X1 is cheap textured leather. It's made from lower grade cowhide that has been processed and stamped with specific leather grain pattern so they're identical. The same way they stamp ostrich and alligator patterns on handbags. This means it's easy to produce and stitched into seat covering. They can replicate it and use it in any configuration repeatedly. Additionally, the sides and back are vinyl and they match perfectly. No need to match grain or color. It's processed into large sheets and laser cut into different shapes to be sewn together.

This type of leather does not use the same tanning chemicals as the high end leather. What you're smelling from leather are formaldehyde, tannic acid, oils, chromium and alum anyway. So it's not a big loss.

But, they make leather conditioner with fragrance mixed in if you want to give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
freinando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder engine, but I don't think you'll be able to do an oil change by siphoning from above on most modern BMWs.
That’s what I’m fearing. My C7 Audi A6 is a breeze to work on for example. For the X1, I don’t see a dipstick tube, or the oil filter easily accessible for that matter.

Last edited by freinando; 06-20-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0