BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 replacing summer RFT's with non RFT's

05-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
go.ran
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive18d M Sport

Exclamation X1 replacing summer RFT's with non RFT's

Hi guys,

Just purchased my first BMW: X1 xDrive18d M Sport A/T in Black Sapphire Metallic.

Car is fitted with 19" 572M wheels and Bridgestone Potenza S001 225/45 R19 92W summer RFT's and I've noticed that the ride is kind of hard and loud at higher speeds.

My previous experience with BMW was when I rented a BMW 120d M Sport A/T for a week which was equipped with 18" non-RFT's (Dunlop SportMaxx RT's) and that car and the ride simply fitted me perfectly! I could't believe that a sports car can be so comfortable and sporty at the same time!

I want to keep the same size of wheels and tires but I want to move to non RFT's and switch to Dunlop SportMaxx RT's.

Questions:

1. Any of you moved from summer RFT's to non-RFT's at the same 19" size and what brand/model of the tires did you purchase? What is your experience?

2. Did you opt (or buy) a spare wheel and if yes, in what size 17" or 18"? Was it OEM? Do you know the BMW part number for the spare wheel?

3. Does any of you have the BMW mobility set instead of spare tire? Would it be a good idea to have both in case of non-RFT's?

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

I have M Sport 18''s with non run flats, do a lot of mile's and have the pump and sealant, I have run flat winter wheels and tyres and they are truly shocking, so these will go to normal tyres, once winter comes around again.

As for noise, its a criticism of the X1, so not sure tyre choice will make much difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
go.ran
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy007 View Post
I have M Sport 18''s with non run flats, do a lot of mile's and have the pump and sealant, I have run flat winter wheels and tyres and they are truly shocking, so these will go to normal tyres, once winter comes around again.

As for noise, its a criticism of the X1, so not sure tyre choice will make much difference.

Thanks for your feedback Mushy007!

Do you use OEM pump and sealant, and if yes, do you know the product code maybe?

I read that Continental's ContiMobilityKit is a good kit to use.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by go.ran View Post
Hi guys,
1. Any of you moved from summer RFT's to non-RFT's at the same 19" size and what brand/model of the tires did you purchase? What is your experience?

2. Did you opt (or buy) a spare wheel and if yes, in what size 17" or 18"? Was it OEM? Do you know the BMW part number for the spare wheel?

3. Does any of you have the BMW mobility set instead of spare tire? Would it be a good idea to have both in case of non-RFT's?

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G.
1. Continental Extreme Contact DWS - this is a great tire, comfortable and quiet.

2. http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F48-KIT.html
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
go.ran
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
1. Continental Extreme Contact DWS - this is a great tire, comfortable and quiet.

Thanks Proper!

I just wish someone can recommend the same here in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by go.ran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post

Thanks Proper!

I just wish someone can recommend the same here in Europe.
Just find same spare on eBay. You have all the specs needed. There's a ton of used/new on eBay you'll be able to find. I used a X3 spare jack kit used and that spare tire I posted. Tire and jack fits perfectly under the rear trunk tray.
Appreciate 0