BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Electric seat calibration - a brief guide

04-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Electric seat calibration - a brief guide

I thought I'd post this up as I had searched the forum and couldn't find any detailed instructions on what to do if you have the electric adjustable seats and get the "Seat Calibration" Check Control warning message. I started getting this recently every time I used the car, and it was getting annoying...

I found a couple of different methods on t'Internet and this is what worked for me:

1. With the key inside the car, but you outside the car, press the Start button to turn on the ignition without starting the engine, i.e. don't put your foot on the brake.

2. Press and hold the button to move the driver's seat to as far forward as it can go.

3. When it reaches the end of its forward travel, release the button and then press it briefly forward once again.

4. Press and hold the button to move the driver's seat to as far to the rear as it can go.

5. When it reaches the end of its rearward travel, release the button and then press it briefly rearward once again.

6. Move the driver's seat to your normal driving position; I just pressed and held the stored seat position number 1 button.

7. Press the Start button again to turn off the ignition.

Hopefully the next time you start the ignition/car, the Check Control message should have gone

It should only be necessary to perform this on the driver's side seat to clear the error; the passenger side doesn't have a seat position memory.

I hope that helps someone anyway. The manual didn't have the procedure to re-calibrate, despite the Check Control message suggesting that it might...

Last edited by CliveL; 04-23-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Many thanks for this: copied and pasted into my "BMW info" document
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
jkont
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

There is only one seat module SM2 in F48 (and F39) and this is related to the driver's seat.
That's why passenger's seat position is not stored in memory , only electric moving there.
So , there is no need for calibrating the passenger's seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkont View Post
There is only one seat module SM2 in F48 (and F39) and this is related to the driver's seat.
That's why passenger's seat position is not stored in memory , only electric moving there.
So , there is no need for calibrating the passenger's seat.
That makes a lot of sense, I didn't consider that. I'll edit the post a little to make it clearer that it should only be necessary to go through this process on the driver's seat only. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

I had this come up on my, figured it was because I was using the Easy Entry/Exit setting. When it came up though the iDrive had directions on what to do, did yours not show?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
kevn175
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, BMW X1

can the seats automatically go all the way back on exit?

Hi All,
is there a way for the seat to go all the way back when turned off? So when the next person goes in the car, its fully back and makes it for easy entry...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn175 View Post
Hi All,
is there a way for the seat to go all the way back when turned off? So when the next person goes in the car, its fully back and makes it for easy entry...
This function is actually called "Easy Entry" and can be coded using eSys or Bimmercode I believe. I coded mine with eSys, and there are details of both coding options on this page of the forum.
Appreciate 0