BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Standard steering wheel "leather"

04-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Standard steering wheel "leather"

I was wondering if the standard steering wheel on the X1 is actually covered in leather as BMW's Monroney sticker would suggest. It certainly does not feel like leather to me. Even though it says "leather wrapped steering wheel -- included"

The M sport steering wheel feels like leather by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I have S248A - Steering Wheel Heater and S255A - Sports Leather Steering Wheel. It looks and feels like real leather, which is different from my Sensatec leatherette seats.

Even so, I don't expect they use top-quality leather on the steering wheel any more than the Dakota leather on seats are not top-quality for $$.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

The Dakota leather on the seat may be real leather, but the quality is really quite poor, because although it's leather, it appears to be a veneer attached to a backing fabric. If I get in my car and have a rear trouser pocket button fastened and showing, I have to be extremely careful because it's so easy to scuff the surface if I catch the leather side bolster of the driver's seat (right hand drive) with the button. I've done that a couple of times, but fortunately found a UK supplier on eBay who sells small bottles of a 'repair' product that is an excellent colour match to the BMW catalogue (a light beige) and covers the scuffs so well that you'd not notice they were there.
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50