BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Driver Side Door - Plastic Trim

02-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Driver Side Door - Plastic Trim

I some how manged to put a nice little scratch on my driver side plastic door trim. I wouldn't be too upset about it but it's pretty noticeable. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the scratch removed?

Last edited by Jmhockey1920; 02-27-2019 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
I some how manged to put a nice little scratch on my driver side plastic door trim. I wouldn't be too upset about it but it's pretty noticeable. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the scratch removed?

With so many different materials and textures on door, it might help if you post a pic showing exactly where and what the damage is.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
With so many different materials and textures on door, it might help if you post a pic showing exactly where and what the damage is.
I sssume he’s talking about the obvious scratch that crosses the reflection of his bottom finger in the photo.

Looks pretty deep so I’m not sure any of the scratch polishes will work. Probably SOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

Quote:

My wife’s mini has the same black material, I used my DA polisher drill tool with autoglymm high res polish and it got rid of them. Depends how deep it is though
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

I still don't know what even caused that. But yes, it looks pretty deep. Does anyone know if any websites online sell that OEM part? I looked on a few websites and had no luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I still don't know what even caused that. But yes, it looks pretty deep. Does anyone know if any websites online sell that OEM part? I looked on a few websites and had no luck.
Ouch, my wife did same thing with diamond ring.

To replace part - Looking at the picture I guess you have piano black finish. Part number for ”decor strip” 51417399605 with light strip (just clear plastic allows light to shine along). These are for left hand side front door (US driver door) . [Please check the part numbers yourself] Dealer prices over here in Europe about $120.

To try and repair, I suggest (first) trying “Polywatch” it is what watch repairers use to take out deep scratches in plastic/acrylic watch crystals (glass), it slightly melts top surface and allows material to be moved back into the groove and then polishes the surface. I use it regularly restoring vintage watches. “Polywatch”, is available to buy on eBay. To use- only work a small area at a time, so max 1/2 inch. Put a small blob of “Polywatch” onto plastic and using a lint free cloth spread along section of scratch and 1/4 either side. Leave for 30 seconds then rub with circular motion. Polish off and repeat several times if necessary.

Polywatch will either work or not, the alternative is trying an abrasive to polish out (toothpaste works) scratch, all depends on underlying colour, type of material etc.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-28-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Ouch, my wife did same thing with diamond ring.

To replace part - Looking at the picture I guess you have piano black finish. Part number for ”decor strip” 51417399605 with light strip (just clear plastic allows light to shine along). These are for left hand side front door (US driver door) . [Please check the part numbers yourself] Dealer prices over here in Europe about $120.

To try and repair, I suggest (first) trying “Polywatch” it is what watch repairers use to take out deep scratches in plastic/acrylic watch crystals (glass), it slightly melts top surface and allows material to be moved back into the groove and then polishes the surface. I use it regularly restoring vintage watches. “Polywatch”, is available to buy on eBay. To use- only work a small area at a time, so max 1/2 inch. Put a small blob of “Polywatch” onto plastic and using a lint free cloth spread along section of scratch and 1/4 either side. Leave for 30 seconds then rub with circular motion. Polish off and repeat several times if necessary.

Polywatch will either work or not, the alternative is trying an abrasive to polish out (toothpaste works) scratch, all depends on underlying colour, type of material etc.
Thank you my friend! I will probably just end of buying the part and replacing it.
Appreciate 0