BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) No new X1's or X2's being sold currently due to a fault

01-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #1
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 20i M Sport

No new X1's or X2's being sold currently due to a fault

Hi,

thought you may be interested to know that due to a problem with the rear light cluster (?) BMW have stopped the sale of all new X1's and X2's until the issue has been sorted out. This seems to be a worldwide issue - its definitely US & UK.

Mine has been sitting at the docks in UK for 10 days and the dealer has no idea when it will be cleared for delivery to him
He only found out the reason for the delay in the last couple of days, as BMW does not appear to be releasing much info to the dealers.

My dealer has been brilliant, as I told him that if the car didn't come in the next few days - I would not accept the car until 1st March, due to the change of registration number. The dealer is speaking to BMW to get them to agree to underwrite the cost of my p/ex, as it will devalue during my wait.

Goodness knows what can be wrong with a rear light cluster to stop the car being sold, but I'm assuming it must be serious for BMW to take such a drastic step. Anyone know anything?

Last edited by Jeannie333; 01-30-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      01-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Oh dear. Does that mean a recall for all F48 series cars? Or will the manufacturer hope the fault does not appear until the cars are out of warranty? Rememy BMW had a problem with alloy wheels which they steadfastly refuse to accept responsibility for.
I shall raise this with the dealer (and after in writing) when mine goes in for its 1st service next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

You sure about that? Mine is due for assembly in the middle of February, and if that's true, it will definitely impact my delivery time (expected middle of March).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
You sure about that? Mine is due for assembly in the middle of February, and if that's true, it will definitely impact my delivery time (expected middle of March).
Yes 100% sure.

I read it somewhere on here initially, and then called my dealer and he confirmed the stop on sales. The dealership had only just been told when I contacted them yesterday.

No one seems to know how long it will take to sort out as BMW haven't gone into detail regards the problem. I would like to think it will be sorted out soon, but that is just a guess/hope on my part, as my car is about 60miles away from me in the docks and BMW won't release it to the dealer.

My dealer also said that BMW have put a halt on them selling any of the X1's and X2's they have in the showroom. The dealers are tearing their hair out as they have little or no information other than there is a problem with the light cluster and they cannot supply anymore new cars.

I'm not sure why / if it would effect the assembly of your car? Ive just noticed you are Europe - not sure if you are impacted, but almost certainly as UK and USA are effected.
      01-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

This is affecting a number of BMW models, apparently. Deliveries in Australia of the new M2C are being delayed, too
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Rear LED cluster problems you say?

I'm on my 3rd unit on the inner tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:17 AM   #7
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
Rear LED cluster problems you say?

I'm on my 3rd unit on the inner tailgate.
Wow, wonder if its connected ???
      01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie333 View Post
Wow, wonder if its connected ???
lol. I doubt it, BMW have been unable to design/spec LED rear lights that can survive before the X1 came along.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #9
toddbike
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

I have an X2 on order. My dealer received notice yesterday, February 4, that there is no longer a stop on delivery of the X2s.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbike View Post
I have an X2 on order. My dealer received notice yesterday, February 4, that there is no longer a stop on delivery of the X2s.
ah, interesting...I have told my dealerI won't take delivery before 1st March now, so it will be under the new registration plate. However, Im surprised they haven't contacted me to tell me there is no longer an issue. Thanks for the info

Jean
      02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Spoke with the dealer in Dorchester today when collecting my car from it’s first service. They knew nothing about this. Nor were they aware of any BMW notices of defects requiring rectification.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #12
michael_p
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 sDrive20i xLine

I believe my X1 came on the same ship as the OP, it arrived Southampton 20/01/19. Dealer has had it for 17 days now. They have been very quiet about it; to put it politely.
It is on a delivery stop. I do have an image of the screen, but I'll just quote it:

"....problem with registering your car currently -

"Dear Sir or Madam,
Delivery stop
This vehicle is subject to a delivery stop. As soon as further information becomes available it will be published on the technical information centre.
This delivery stop replaced STOP113627."

They think it is to do with the plastic on the rear light cluster cracking, however we should have a solution in the coming days....."

I need my adapted car. It seems ridiculous, as surely it's serviceable for now and recall later seems inevitable.
Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_p View Post
I believe my X1 came on the same ship as the OP, it arrived Southampton 20/01/19. Dealer has had it for 17 days now. They have been very quiet about it; to put it politely.
It is on a delivery stop. I do have an image of the screen, but I'll just quote it:

"Dear Sir or Madam,
Delivery stop
This vehicle is subject to a delivery stop. As soon as further information becomes available it will be published on the technical information centre.

They think it is to do with the plastic on the rear light cluster cracking, however we should have a solution in the coming days....."

I need my adapted car. It seems ridiculous, as surely it's serviceable for now and recall later seems inevitable.
Michael
Hi Michael,

I'm located in West Sussex too I used Brighton Chandlers to supply the car as I got the best deal from them.

Yep, that was the ship my car was on too. Spoke to my dealer about this yesterday and he explained some cars (X2, 2 series) have been released for delivery - but not the X1 and 1 series yet.
He thinks it will be released soon - but I am not pushing as I want it registered on 1st March now as that will be the new registration number.
They have been very good and held the value of my p/ex (which was already very good) so whilst I am quite annoyed at BMW for their lack of communication with anyone / the dealers - its no biggy.

It does seem the issue is that the rear light housing isn't secure in some cars, and has fallen out :-o

I will post on here when mine has been released, and please let me know to

Jean :-)
      02-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
michael_p
Rep

Hello Jean,
Yes I will certainly post anything that I hear.
I've just noticed your signature, and guess what date I ordered my X1?.... Yes indeed it was the 24th. November. Initial progress was excellent until it was parked in the paintshop for three weeks over Xmas, and then it sat at Bremerhaven for nine days, I suspect quivering in fear and trepidation of a winter sea voyage, and not boarding several earlier ships.
I've gently mentioned my option of cancellation to dealer today, but usually they don't return my calls or e-mails.
Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hello Jean,
Yes I will certainly post anything that I hear.
I've just noticed your signature, and guess what date I ordered my X1?.... Yes indeed it was the 24th. November. Initial progress was excellent until it was parked in the paintshop for three weeks over Xmas, and then it sat at Bremerhaven for nine days, I suspect quivering in fear and trepidation of a winter sea voyage, and not boarding several earlier ships.
I've gently mentioned my option of cancellation to dealer today, but usually they don't return my calls or e-mails.
Michael

That is quite amazing ordering it on the same day and both in West Sussex! My delivery day was supposed to be 25th January.

Yes I had been watching the progress too and knew which ship it was on by a process of elimination, and knew it arrived in Southampton in the early hours of 20th Jan - I suspect that makes me a saddo

Getting a new car is very exciting and I'm really disappointed that the edge has been taken off by this delay - with lack of communication from BMW. I also needed it for a couple of long journeys before the end of February and now have decided to go by train.

Ah well, hopefully it will be worth the wait

Funnily enough - although no at all funny really - I had a VW Tiguan on order before this order. However, VW UK messed me around so much - with lies and smokes screens (not the dealer I might add) that finally after waiting 3 months to be told a delivery date, with my p/ex car devaluing all the time, I cancelled the order and ordered the X1.
My salesman knew what had happened with VW and said when he read about the delay on delivery with no known release date, he just buried his head in his hands and couldn't believe what he was reading. He said he nearly cried

Ah well, the race is on between you and I ....who will win?? Hope you get yours soon - although are you going to let them register it before 1st March?

Jean
      02-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

"Dear Sir or Madam,
Delivery stop

Michael
Michael, I have just re-read this ... is your car with the dealer or still at the docks? My car is still at the docks and they would not deliver it to the dealer - I'm confused why your dealer has yours, but mine hasn't ??
(He is not fibbing either, as its showing on the BMW system as being at the port waiting for delivery to the dealer)

Jean
      02-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
dbrace
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series (Soon to be X1)

Made an account today just to reply to this post.

I ordered my X1 as a company car when I was also looking around at Golf GTD's and Tiguans, only to find out about their ridiculous lead times and at the time not having been caught up on the new emissions testing.

The car was scheduled to land February 11th and so called up the supplying dealer to ask what the situation was and she was very nice and looked into if for me (Listers in Kings Lynn. Not the closest to me and in fact Barons Cambourne is just around the corner but this happens with company cars some times I guess

She said she thought it would be delivered week commencing the 18th.

She then called back next day explaining about the corporate stop for the same thing (rear light housing) and that she'd keep me informed.

Only reason I even stumbled upon bimmerpost today was to see if anyone else had been told the same thing so it's good to know I'm not on my own and there are other people in the same boat. (Or rather with ships at the same dock...)

I'll miss my 4 Series Convertible when it goes but needs must for more practicality.

Obviously I'm less happy waiting for March as some of you guys given it's a corporate lease so resale won't mean much to my bank balance later on... but having a newer plate might do wonders for my ego :P

Good luck everyone. Hope BMW get it sorted out soon. The lady I spoke to did say it only took them 2 weeks to get the X2's sorted out recently hence I think she is targeting March now.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
michael_p
Rep

My car got to the dealer near Southampton about the 22nd. January. It was PDI'ed on 28th. January and ready, except the adaptation fitter was slow (I think he forgot to order the parts), otherwise I think I'd have got it. That is all done now, but it consequently got caught up in this delivery stop.
I'll just collect it ASAP. I need it, and I don't care in the least about number plates. My personal circumstances are such that number plates don't even vaguely make it into my priority list nowadays.
I agree that is good to know I'm not on my own, but I'm a tad surprised that there's no information anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #19
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car got to the dealer near Southampton about the 22nd. January. It was PDI'ed on 28th. January and ready, except the adaptation fitter was slow (I think he forgot to order the parts), otherwise I think I'd have got it. That is all done now, but it consequently got caught up in this delivery stop.
I'll just collect it ASAP. I need it, and I don't care in the least about number plates. My personal circumstances are such that number plates don't even vaguely make it into my priority list nowadays.
I agree that is good to know I'm not on my own, but I'm a tad surprised that there's no information anywhere else.
Doh...thats annoying. I would go and break in to the dealers to bust it out

Hope you get it soon :-)
      02-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #20
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrace View Post
Made an account today just to reply to this post.

I ordered my X1 as a company car when I was also looking around at Golf GTD's and Tiguans, only to find out about their ridiculous lead times and at the time not having been caught up on the new emissions testing.

The car was scheduled to land February 11th and so called up the supplying dealer to ask what the situation was and she was very nice and looked into if for me (Listers in Kings Lynn. Not the closest to me and in fact Barons Cambourne is just around the corner but this happens with company cars some times I guess

She said she thought it would be delivered week commencing the 18th.

She then called back next day explaining about the corporate stop for the same thing (rear light housing) and that she'd keep me informed.

Only reason I even stumbled upon bimmerpost today was to see if anyone else had been told the same thing so it's good to know I'm not on my own and there are other people in the same boat. (Or rather with ships at the same dock...)

I'll miss my 4 Series Convertible when it goes but needs must for more practicality.

Obviously I'm less happy waiting for March as some of you guys given it's a corporate lease so resale won't mean much to my bank balance later on... but having a newer plate might do wonders for my ego :P

Good luck everyone. Hope BMW get it sorted out soon. The lady I spoke to did say it only took them 2 weeks to get the X2's sorted out recently hence I think she is targeting March now.
Good luck to you too
      02-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #21
michael_p
Rep

I understand that replacement rear lights are needed. BMW Germany expect these to arrive to them on 14th. February, and then to arrive here within another week thereafter.
Yes I'd certainly like to go and bust it out Jean, but apparently it's impossible to register it with the dvla.
So hopefully I'll get it by the end of next week, but otherwise it may well end up with a 19 plate anyway, as I'm unable to collect it the following week.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #22
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I understand that replacement rear lights are needed. BMW Germany expect these to arrive to them on 14th. February, and then to arrive here within another week thereafter.
Yes I'd certainly like to go and bust it out Jean, but apparently it's impossible to register it with the dvla.
So hopefully I'll get it by the end of next week, but otherwise it may well end up with a 19 plate anyway, as I'm unable to collect it the following week.
Wow, I am hoping they hurry up as I go on holiday for 5 weeks on 8th March and made it clear to the dealership I would not be happy receiving my car the day before I put it to bed in our garage for 5 weeks!
You couldn't make this up

As least you are one step ahead as your garage actually has the car, mine is still stuck in the port.

Hope we are delighted when we eventually get this blinking car !

Jean