BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Connected Drive - which applications you run ?

06-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 (ordered)

Connected Drive - which applications you run ?

Hello there,

I got my car 2 weeks ago and ever since I'm trying to find helpful applications that run on the iDrive ConnectedDrive system.

The only one I managed to download in Apple Store and also to see it in the iDrive was "BMW Connected", it have internet radio , Calendar and some small other applications...
I found some recommendations for nice apps in BMW.com but didn't manage to find the apps in AppleStore.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

I have the system without the Nav and with the smaller screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Napster, Deezer & Spotify should work & iirc, you can use them for free / low cost trial. Does tracking work on the business nav / send to car stuff? I hope so as my new order car had the standard nav coming with it
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.
Napster, Deezer & Spotify should work & iirc, you can use them for free / low cost trial. Does tracking work on the business nav / send to car stuff? I hope so as my new order car had the standard nav coming with it
Thanks a lot for your answer, I will try it,
The application I tried did connect and work, I also sow my calendar on the iDrive screen, not sure what you mean by send to car etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanizh
Quote:
The application I tried did connect and work, I also sow my calendar on the iDrive screen, not sure what you mean by send to car etc..
Meant with BMW remote. Lock / unlock car & send locations to it via the google map search

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._services.html
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Meant with BMW remote. Lock / unlock car & send locations to it via the google map search

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._services.html
Thanks Simon! I sow this application in the website , the problem is that I can't find the application in AppleStore :
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Message from appStore
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange. Just searched BMW Remote & it's still there for me?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

The only app that I actually occasionally use is iOS BMW Remote. I can't do much via Connected Drive's website (stuck on preconditioning, no USB map updates). Send their support two emails over a month ago and haven't received any replies yet.

I have no clue what the point of BMW Connected app is. If I want iPod, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. I would just load it on my phone and connect it to the car via Bluetooth or USB. Contacts sync without the need for an app and I have no need for calendar/messages/anything else in iDrive. Fuel level, consumption, range, mileage, etc. don't sync via Bluetooth and I only plug in my phone when running low on battery. So the data I get on the app is almost always outdated. Even more ridiculous, there are no logs of any kind. The app is pretty much completely useless to me.

BMW Remote app is not available in all countries. If you can't find it in your local appstore, you're not going to be able to use it. I don't think you can download it from a different appstore. You won't be able to link it to the car and activate it. I tried the US one. Didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #9
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Strange. Just searched BMW Remote & it's still there for me?
Seems it based on countries
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 04:41 AM   #10
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
The only app that I actually occasionally use is iOS BMW Remote. I can't do much via Connected Drive's website (stuck on preconditioning, no USB map updates). Send their support two emails over a month ago and haven't received any replies yet.

I have no clue what the point of BMW Connected app is. If I want iPod, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. I would just load it on my phone and connect it to the car via Bluetooth or USB. Contacts sync without the need for an app and I have no need for calendar/messages/anything else in iDrive. Fuel level, consumption, range, mileage, etc. don't sync via Bluetooth and I only plug in my phone when running low on battery. So the data I get on the app is almost always outdated. Even more ridiculous, there are no logs of any kind. The app is pretty much completely useless to me.

BMW Remote app is not available in all countries. If you can't find it in your local appstore, you're not going to be able to use it. I don't think you can download it from a different appstore. You won't be able to link it to the car and activate it. I tried the US one. Didn't work.
Thanks for the feedback, after all seems that the ConnectedDrive is a good beginning but it is certainly not a mature product
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanizh View Post
Thanks for the feedback, after all seems that the ConnectedDrive is a good beginning but it is certainly not a mature product
Just to clarify, because BMW brand names and marketing lingo is ALWAYS confusing...
  • Connected Drive is the connectivity features that you get with your X1 (e.g. find location, lock/unlock/flash headlights, send destination, etc.). You could use these features either via the website or using the Remote app.
  • BMW Remote app is the alternative to the Connected Drive website. It allows you to add a PIN or use TouchID to login more continently. Much easier than logging into the website every time you want to do something.
  • BMW Connect is the totally redundant and useless app that I have no idea what it's for.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Quote:
Just to clarify, because BMW brand names and marketing lingo is ALWAYS confusing...
  • Connected Drive is the connectivity features that you get with your X1 (e.g. find location, lock/unlock/flash headlights, send destination, etc.). You could use these features either via the website or using the Remote app.
  • BMW Remote app is the alternative to the Connected Drive website. It allows you to add a PIN or use TouchID to login more continently. Much easier than logging into the website every time you want to do something.
  • BMW Connect is the totally redundant and useless app that I have no idea what it's for.
What is the exact name of the first application in AppStore ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Quote:
BMW ConnectedDrive

Sucks re location based. I use the send route to car weekly from my iPhone & find it very handy.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Quote:
BMW ConnectedDrive

Sucks re location based. I use the send route to car weekly from my iPhone & find it very handy.
Is it this one ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As if it wasn't confusing enough already, their apps have different names on different AppStores.

Exact names on the UK AppStore are (click on the names to download):
  • My BMW Remote: this is for Connected Drive features that I mentioned previously. Used to be called simply BMW Remote.
  • BMW Connected Classic: this is the useless one. It's the one in your screenshot. I have no idea why they're calling it "Classic".

Off-topic, but I also use BMW Driver's Guide. It's a good companion to your on-board and PDF owner manual.

I've just checked the Israel AppStore and I'm afraid the remote app doesn't seem to be available for you guys.

Simon, I'm afraid that's not correct. BMW ConnectedDrive is just a guide and doesn't provide any remote services. It's a dumb clunky mobile brochure, in other words.

Last edited by KPD; 06-12-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Quote:
As if it wasn't confusing enough already, their apps have different names on different AppStores.

Exact names on the UK AppStore are (click on the names to download):
  • My BMW Remote: this is for Connected Drive features that I mentioned previously. Used to be called simply BMW Remote.
  • BMW Connected Classic: this is the useless one. It's the one in your screenshot. I have no idea why they're calling it "Classic".

Off-topic, but I also use BMW Driver's Guide. It's a good companion to your on-board and PDF owner manual.

I've just checked the Israel AppStore and I'm afraid the remote app doesn't seem to be available for you guys.

Simon, I'm afraid that's not correct. BMW ConnectedDrive is just a guide and doesn't provide any remote services. It's a dumb clunky mobile brochure, in other words.
Correct , the BMW Connected Drive is just a guide

Thanks a lot for your follow up , really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0