BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) M suspension or EDC?

05-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
DaveAT
Rep
Drives: Ordered X1

Question M suspension or EDC?

Hello there

3 weeks ago i ordered my X1 25d with M package (including M sport suspension) and 18" wheels.
I worry now a bit about the riding comfort.

I made a testdrive with the 25d M package and M suspension with 19" wheels and it was on the "limit" when it came to the comfort.
The dealer said it will be better with the 18" ones and that it will be still a bit softer then the standard one from my old E84

I have to say i also like to drive a bit faster through corners sometimes but it should be also able to drive relaxed for example into holidays with it (about 500km - 600km)

PS: I am from Austria/Europe so i can choose now between M suspension, Standard suspension or EDC ... i have really no idea...

What do you guys think?

Thanks and greetings from austria
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

I went for EDC ( or DDC ) as in my mind it allows you to choose over the fixed M suspension - I've driven larger M suspension X models and I don't like them, though the RFTs don't help either.

The benefit to my mind is you can choose to have normal suspension in Sport mode, to get the benefit of the improved throttle mapping, gearchanges, but without stiffening the suspension. Or you can have Sport suspension in Sport mode, when the surfaces are good.

I do a heavy mix of motorways broken up with single track, and some of the best/worst that Wales, England and Scotland provide. On top of that come a number of trips across to Europe. So like you, quite the mix.

I did a 250 mile test drive in Wales and throughly enjoyed myself on 18s with normal suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

I currently have a 125i M sport with 18" RFT and I picked the adaptive damping exactly for the same reason as you. I am very happy with my choice.
When I test drove the X1 prior to my order it had standard suspension and I felt it was pitching and rolling far too much. So I ordered the EDC with 19" RFT. On top of that it is super cheap compared to what I had to pay on my F20.
Hope it helps. I will get the car in 2.5 months so I can only confirm if it's a good choice at that time.
I think you can pick the 19" wheels with EDC but not with M suspension and in all cases don't go for the standard suspension if you like a bit of sporty drive from time to time...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAT
Hello there

3 weeks ago i ordered my X1 25d with M package (including M sport suspension) and 18" wheels.
I worry now a bit about the riding comfort.

I made a testdrive with the 25d M package and M suspension with 19" wheels and it was on the "limit" when it came to the comfort.
The dealer said it will be better with the 18" ones and that it will be still a bit softer then the standard one from my old E84

I have to say i also like to drive a bit faster through corners sometimes but it should be also able to drive relaxed for example into holidays with it (about 500km - 600km)

PS: I am from Austria/Europe so i can choose now between M suspension, Standard suspension or EDC ... i have really no idea...

What do you guys think?

Thanks and greetings from austria
Welcome ....from Australia (just like Austria, but with an additional syllable!)

I closely studied this issue before ordering my 25i xDrive. The early reviews all criticized the X1's ride and road noise. My test drives (Sept-Oct last year) were all in diesels but no EDC/DDC/VDC (BMW uses these terms interchangeably, it seems, in different markets). Owners with early build X1s, EDC and 19" wheels with RFTs also expressed some concern about ride and noise.

Based on this, my order was specified with EDC and 18" wheels -- no tyre choice but RFTs in the Australian market. The car arrived at the end of March, and is all I hoped for -- excellent ride, low road noise (it seems the 18" Pirelli P7 RFTs are much quieter than some of the others, but what is fitted at the factory is apparently a lottery, and I was lucky!) More importantly, the Sport setting gives a firm damper setting, which allows you to press on through winding roads. It does also make the ride harder, but you can always revert to Comfort.

I recommend this specification. That said, my recollection is that Austrian roads are billiard tables, compared to Australia's...so you may get away with 19" wheels if you like them cosmetically.

By the way, in researching this issue, I also discovered BMW has made an in-line part change to the X1's EDC equipped suspension. This change came into effect from cars built on/after January this year. Since that time, I've not read much criticism of ride/noise/handling for EDC equipped cars built and delivered after that date.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

This how I believe it's set up, from the softest to the stiffest suspension setting:
  1. EDC in Comfort/Eco Pro
  2. Standard suspension
  3. EDC in Sport mode
  4. M-Sport (as stiff as EDC in Sport, but with 1cm shorter suspension)
Size of the wheel and type of the tyres obviously play a big role, with non-RFT smaller wheels being the softest and quietest.

I may be wrong about EDC Comfort being softer than standard suspension. But that's what most articles seem to imply (most UK reviews recommend EDC to work against potholes). It's also what my sales rep told me when I placed my order that standard suspension has a balanced stiffness somewhere in-between EDC in comfort and sport.

So I guess if you don't care much for that 1cm lower ride height in M-Sport, and if you're happy to pay a little extra, EDC is the best of both worlds. Stiffen it up when you want to have some fun and turn it back down to comfort when you're cruising around town or are driving on crappy roads. Mine is almost always set to comfort, thanks to UK's awful roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I've got DDC with 19" and the ride is fine, can wallow a bit but it's a good set up for family use. I always use sport when driving alone... However I think a large part of the decision is based upon what your coming from. We have always had cars with sports suspension and large wheels, so the F48 is the most comfortable car we've had in quite a few years. I think you should spec DDC, it's a no brainier for the cost...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
DaveAT
Rep
Drives: Ordered X1

well, as told i come from a standard suspesnion 2011 X1...

did someone try the M suspension with 18"? is it acceptable for normal ride?

I really have in my "hidden agenda" that i do sometimes really fast and sporty trips in the mountains here... the M suspension from the testcar with the 19" had really an extreme handling and traction (no squeaking or sliding) when taking tight curves...

Im just afraid that the EDC in sport mode wont reach that performance ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAT View Post

did someone try the M suspension with 18"? is it acceptable for normal ride?

I really have in my "hidden agenda" that i do sometimes really fast and sporty trips in the mountains here... the M suspension from the testcar with the 19" had really an extreme handling and traction (no squeaking or sliding) when taking tight curves...

Im just afraid that the EDC in sport mode wont reach that performance ?
I'm sure it'll be fine, I managed to have plenty of fun in a more softly suspended car last summer in Austria. Body roll really doesn't bother me though, too many years on motorcycles. Though the last bikes had electronically adjustable suspension too.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAT View Post

Sorry I missed that!

I'm just afraid that the EDC in sport mode wont reach that performance ?

An EDC equipped M Sport car is fairy firmly sprung, the difference is the damping rate. In Comfort mode it is more supple and gives a bit of roll, hence why I said it wallows a little. However when selecting Sport this roll/wallow is eliminated and the car stays flat and composed
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I reckon EDC in Sports will be plenty firm for you...it'll handle well, but it's not a hot hatch
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
DJ Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI

I test drove two X1 20ds - one with 18" and the other with 19" both without EDC. The 19" were far too firm for my liking and as I have an 11 month old I wanted a softer ride as I'm currently coming from a Golf GTI with 18". The 18" X1 was softer and I went on to order the EDC for extra comfort for peace and mind. As others have stated, early UK reviews suggested harsh ride and tyre noise so I decided to pluck for EDC and 18" alloys. I really like the 19" cosmetically but decided to go against it and go for my second choice 18" 566 alloys.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
In the US our cars come with 704 M sport suspension. I have the 18s RFT and the ride is fine. I also drove a X1 with 19s and was very impressed. If I could have got 19s with all seasons I would have been down. BMW/supplier does a great job with EDC though.
Appreciate 0