E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B6 Rear Install

05-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Bilstein B6 Rear Install

Anyone else install these Bilstein B6s in their cars? I'm kind of just wondering why use the included Bilstein bump stop vs the OE style one. Seems like the OE style one would dampen vibrations transferred to the chassis quite a bit better though the Bilstein included ones might mount be a bit more solid.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bilstein B6 Rear Instructions.pdf (600.4 KB, 371 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Guido S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ix

I just did these and made a mistake on the rears just like it looks like you might. Follow the Bilstein install guide.
1.get rid of silver cup piece
2.use large provided washer instead
3.slide on rubber compression fitting with tube inside
4.use saved rubber gasket from old shocks to cover #3
5.lift into place making sure rubber seal fits properly
6inside trunk add top compression fitting with nut and torque to spec.

These come with bump stops don't use the old ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay so it's agreed I should be using the Bilstein dust boot and bump stop that is already installed on the shock. The silver cup piece is still needed though no? It is clearly shown in the install diagram that comes with the shock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pics of New vs Old.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Guido S
Private
Rep

The only reason the gray metal cap existed was to cover the top of the old exterior bump stop. Bilstein has a built in stop under the dust cover. If you did use the cap then used the included washer you would have a metal on metal situation that you don't want. On top of the dust cover I placed the large washer, next the rubber fitting with tube. This provides the rubber with a solid surface to push on. Next the thin rubber cover that you reuse from old shock. When you push this into shock well make sure it plugs the hole correctly to keep water out of trunk. Torque top and bottom to spec and take a test ride. You will enjoy the firm rear end.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FCPEuro also answered saying the silver bump stop support piece isn't necessary, but since it is in the Bilstein install diagram I put it in anyway - no issues. It probably provides a flatter surface for the shock mount sitting on top of it.

There is going to be metal to metal contact anyway, under the cover is a metal washer support piece for the dust boot and then the rim of the Bilstein dust boot itself is metal + the shock mount itself has a metal collar insert.

Definitely a nice firmer ride even with just the rear done. I don't know if I'm going to do the fronts myself - probably going to lazy out and just get a shop to do it along with an alignment afterward.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
FCPEuro also answered saying the silver bump stop support piece isn't necessary, but since it is in the Bilstein install diagram I put it in anyway - no issues. It probably provides a flatter surface for the shock mount sitting on top of it.

There is going to be metal to metal contact anyway, under the cover is a metal washer support piece for the dust boot and then the rim of the Bilstein dust boot itself is metal + the shock mount itself has a metal collar insert.

Definitely a nice firmer ride even with just the rear done. I don't know if I'm going to do the fronts myself - probably going to lazy out and just get a shop to do it along with an alignment afterward.
Hey guys,

I wanted to throw my "experience" in for what it's worth and I certainly don't want my note to appear argumentative. I view posts here as a community all trying to help one another learn, so I am offering my comments in that regard.

The link here includes some pictures from when I did my install. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236767

I solicited comments from others and reviewed Bilstein's instructions. I am convinced I have NO PROBLEMS with my install. I used the big washer on top of the Bilstein bump stop, but underneath the boot. The stock metal cup was on top of the Bilstein boot and a rubber cover was on top of that. I used Dinan upper mounts as per their instructions. Again, NO PROBLEMS, NOISES, NOTHiNG, NADA...

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Guido S
Private
Rep

So good. We're all happy and the shocks are doing their job. It's always good to share our experiences, learn from one another. That's why I'm on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any of you guys mess around with polyurethane shock mounts at all or did you all just use stock like I did?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Monroe offers an inexpensive alternative to polyurethane and the Dinan rubber top shock mount. Check out the thread below. Monroe also offers a replacement lower shock mount as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145344
      05-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer
Monroe offers an inexpensive alternative to polyurethane and the Dinan rubber top shock mount. Check out the thread below. Monroe also offers a replacement lower shock mount as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145344
I don't recall one bad review on the monroes. Makes me wonder if I pissed away some cash on my dinan rear upper mounts. They work well, but perhaps at too high a price by comparison!!

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
I don't recall one bad review on the monroes. Makes me wonder if I pissed away some cash on my dinan rear upper mounts. They work well, but perhaps at too high a price by comparison!!
Yeah the Monroe's look the exact same as the stock parts but why don't they show as fitting in the fitment guide? Also what's the black rubber washer thing for? I don't see anything like that in the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
Yeah the Monroe's look the exact same as the stock parts but why don't they show as fitting in the fitment guide? Also what's the black rubber washer thing for? I don't see anything like that in the stock setup.
Looks like you got the answer already in the thread about Monroe upper mount. For those that didn't chase that discussion, the black metal disk is to replace the OEM supporting cup (item 4). I didn't use the Monroe provided piece since the supporting cups were still in good condition.