BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW remote app + preconditioning

04-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

BMW remote app + preconditioning

Hi all

Wondering if anyone else uses the preconditioning feature on the BMW remote app

I tried it this morning, and as I expected it just basically blows air into the cabin at whatever temperature it is outside... not too useful

However - according to the BMW ConnectedDrive website (where you can also start the precondition process) it says you must have fuel in the tank.. which to me suggests that it can start the engine remotely for heat or AC.

Anyone have any idea what the score is with preconditioning?
      04-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Tried it once or twice. It only starts the fan and that's for a limited time. So you can't really rely on it if you have a pet in the car, etc. Cooler/heater will consume a lot of battery power and will inevitably need the engine to kick in. Otherwise, the battery will drain quickly.

Remote start is a tricky topic. There are legal issues. Here in the UK for example, you're not allowed to keep the engine running if the car is unattended. A lot of other European countries have similar laws. I may be wrong on the exact details, but in Germany, I think you're not allowed to keep the engine running for long even if you're behind the wheel in a parked car (with no intention to drive off and or get out). There are obvious safety and environmental reasons behind this.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

I think the pre conditioning heater is for markets where they have an auxiliary heater fitted independent of the engine. At least this is what I've been told. I asked a similar question. On some of the BMW Remote applications I understand you can honk the horn and flash the lights. On mine you can only flash the lights which is a pity because if you are in the middle of a huge car park I'm thinking honking the horn is more helpful than being able to flash the lights?
Appreciate 0