BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 116i M Sport Estoril Blue

01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Jameson
Rep
Drives: 116i

Well,, is a very difficult decision... Now I have an A3 TDI, and I want a new engine, a new brand, i think I prefer petrol rigth now...but I´m not sure. The only thing I know for sure is the colour of my future car jajaja
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #46
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
iBeech, I have some questions maybe you would like to reply (or anybody):
- I want a 116i, but I´m wondering if is enough engine...¿?
- I´m not sure between the estoril blau o white...
- How is the sound quality? I´m thinking about the HK option...

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone !!!
116i packs a reasonable punch considering its a 1.6- you are able to massively tell the differnce between the different modes- stick it into sport and its really quite something.

Estoril blue is beautiful. I dont have to wash it nearly as many times as a white car!

The sound quality sucks- get HK. I wish i had.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #47
Jameson
Rep

And, ¿what about the sound? Someone said that 'The sound could also have been more inspiring'; is the same sound in the 116i and in the 118i? How could you describe it?
One of my main reasons to change my TDI for a petrol engine is the sound (I´m tired of the sound of truck of my actual car)...
And other question: what about the option related with an extra information of the display? is important?
Sorry about my english, and thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #48
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
And, what about the sound? Someone said that 'The sound could also have been more inspiring'; is the same sound in the 116i and in the 118i? How could you describe it?
One of my main reasons to change my TDI for a petrol engine is the sound (Im tired of the sound of truck of my actual car)...
And other question: what about the option related with an extra information of the display? is important?
Sounds beautiful. In comfort mode it sounds great, but stick it into sport mode and the dump valve kicks in when u push on the gas.

No difference between 116 and 118- they are the same engine, except tuned differently.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #49
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
And, ¿what about the sound? Someone said that 'The sound could also have been more inspiring'; is the same sound in the 116i and in the 118i? How could you describe it?
One of my main reasons to change my TDI for a petrol engine is the sound (I´m tired of the sound of truck of my actual car)...
The 118i has the same engine, and very similar sound. It does not sound like a truck, but I would describe the sound as a little bit boring. I miss some more intake noise when I hit the throttle. As in most modern cars, the engine sound is not very intrusive, so you don't hear it much at all. When driving hard, they say you can hear some turbo sounds from the outside, but hardly from inside the car.

Most people like the black panel display, but not because of extra information. It is more about how the instrument panel looks. Personally I don't think it is worth the money, but I think most forum members disagree with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #50
Jameson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post

So, I think there are three options in this sense:

1) default speakers system.
2) HIFI system.
3) HK system.

The second one is about 400 euros, and HK about 900. Do you think the difference between option 1) and 2) is really small? both sucks?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #51
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post

So, I think there are three options in this sense:

1) default speakers system.
2) HIFI system.
3) HK system.

The second one is about 400 euros, and HK about 900. Do you think the difference between option 1) and 2) is really small? both sucks?
There is a lower option- where you don't get subs- that's on the ED build though.

I have standard speakers- crap IMHO
Hifi supposed to sound a lot better
If you love audio, you need HK- like me
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #52
Jameson
Rep

I´m thinking a lot about the consumption because all my life I´ve been used diesel engines. Now I want a petrol engine because of the smooth, and sound... But I worry because I wonder if a I have to be all day in a petrol station...So, my question is: how far can yo get with a tank in models like 116i or 118i ??
Thanks in advance,,
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #53
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

You can go quite long, but not as long as in a 116d! After 6000kms, our onboard computer says a mixed consumption of 8.2 ltr/100km.
Urban - around 9 ltr/100km, but on long distance driving with speeds of around 80km/h, I've got it down to around 6 ltr/100km without putting any effort into saving fuel, just normal driving. It is to be said we mostly use the Sport setting, which encourage us to use the gas pedal a bit more! It should be possibl to lower the urban consumption to around 7 ltr/100km if you really want it!

Then again, the petrol is SO much fun to drive compared to the diesel!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertiger View Post
You can go quite long, but not as long as in a 116d! After 6000kms, our onboard computer says a mixed consumption of 8.2 ltr/100km.
Urban - around 9 ltr/100km, but on long distance driving with speeds of around 80km/h, I've got it down to around 6 ltr/100km without putting any effort into saving fuel, just normal driving. It is to be said we mostly use the Sport setting, which encourage us to use the gas pedal a bit more! It should be possibl to lower the urban consumption to around 7 ltr/100km if you really want it!

Then again, the petrol is SO much fun to drive compared to the diesel!
After 11000 km, our 116i has an average of 6.8 L/100km, and that includes all the track driving. My record so far is 4.9 L/100 km. On longer trips, it usually ends up a 5.5-6.0 L/100 km. I do most of the driving in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #55
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
After 11000 km, our 116i has an average of 6.8 L/100km, and that includes all the track driving. My record so far is 4.9 L/100 km. On longer trips, it usually ends up a 5.5-6.0 L/100 km. I do most of the driving in Comfort mode.
Sounds like you have a very economic driving pattern! I am sure that driving in comfort mode will lower the consumption compared to sport mode. Both me and my girlfriend is kind of triggerhappy when it comes to use of the gas pedal, but if I really went for it, and if only I was to drive the car, I see no problem in lowering the fuel consumption significant! Here in Stavanger where we live, the car is exclusively used for city driving, only a little bit on the motorway from Stavanger to Forus area every day. That may explain the high consumption, but what type of driving is your car used for?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #56
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

My wife drives mostly between Bryne and Sandnes, which is a country road with consumption friendly speed limits. Also some urban driving. She prefers lower gears than I do, so she typically has one liter higher consumption than I do. We have also had some long trips with the car, mostly in Norway. Those trips help a lot on the average consumption.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I guess that kind of driving (country road and long trips) helps the avg. consumption. After they opened the Solasplitten road, the traffic just jams from Stavanger to Forus, so you can imagine the consumption driving that distance in rush hour two times a day.

Not so OT:

I have tested out the cruise control lately.
My experience is that it lowers the consumption a bit, especially between 60 and 100km/h, when I'm able to use the cruise control for some time without getting interrupted by other cars or something. But I'm not very happy with the "brake function". When going sligtly downhill, the brakes is activated. What I really want, is just to release the pressure on the throttle, and "go with the flow" with zero consumption, as I prefer to use the engine brake if I want to hold a certain speed down a hill. But then again, I just have to deactivate the cruise control when going downhill, and then press Resume when wanting to accelerate again (as long as I'm in the same gear - if I have pressed Resume and want to change gear, the cruise control is disabled).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertiger View Post
I have tested out the cruise control lately.
My experience is that it lowers the consumption a bit, especially between 60 and 100km/h, when I'm able to use the cruise control for some time without getting interrupted by other cars or something. But I'm not very happy with the "brake function". When going sligtly downhill, the brakes is activated. What I really want, is just to release the pressure on the throttle, and "go with the flow" with zero consumption, as I prefer to use the engine brake if I want to hold a certain speed down a hill. But then again, I just have to deactivate the cruise control when going downhill, and then press Resume when wanting to accelerate again (as long as I'm in the same gear - if I have pressed Resume and want to change gear, the cruise control is disabled).
I find myself doing the same thing, but the engine braking capacity of the engine is not impressive. I have to use very low gears and high RPM to avoid braking. It is not all that difficult to drive with lower consumption than the cruise control. On hilly roads, it uses too much throttle over the tops, and brakes too much in the dips.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #59
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I find myself doing the same thing, but the engine braking capacity of the engine is not impressive. I have to use very low gears and high RPM to avoid braking. It is not all that difficult to drive with lower consumption than the cruise control. On hilly roads, it uses too much throttle over the tops, and brakes too much in the dips.
Yes, I have also noticed that. The cruise control is most exclusively used on flat, straight roads because of this. From Stavanger to Sauda (3 hour drive in mixed conditions) I was able to get a consumption of 6 ltr/100km when the car was still at break-in (had driven around 500km before this trip). Was impressed with that though!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Nice! I would buy one as a DD if it was in the states.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0