BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2012 F20 Engine oil pressure low warning appears randomly.

01-02-2022, 05:08 AM   #1
jps18
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i

2012 F20 Engine oil pressure low warning appears randomly.

Greetings everyone,
My 2012 F20 118i Urban series with 105000kms on the clock is emitting out lot of white smoke and also there is an "Engine oil pressure low" warning message. It goes off after switching off the ignition and comes up randomly(after driving 100-200kms).

Car has been serviced recently and i have driven only around 1000kms after that. Liqui moly 5W30 is the engine oil used.
Engine oil and coolant level seems to be fine and also i cannot hear any abnormal sounds from the engine.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Head gasket or just the Oil pressure switch?

Last edited by jps18; 01-10-2022 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
jps18
Rep

Anybody faced similar issues? Car seems to be running fine apart from the white smoke and random "Engine oil pressure low" warning message.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Well, here are a couple of findings.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:49 AM   #4
jps18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Well, here are a couple of findings.
Thanks for replying. Engine oil and coolant seems to be fine for now.Will update once i get a solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
jps18
Rep

I got a call from mechanic that they could not find any issue with the oil pressure sensor and also they could not see the "engine oil pressure low" error again even after multiple tests.

Their suggestion is, either i drive it as it is and come back again if i get theerror message again or alternatively check if there is any engine damage/change oil pump.
Do you think i should go ahead and ask them to go ahead with whatever they suggested or wait to see if the error appears again?
Car seems to be running fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps18 View Post
I got a call from mechanic that they could not find any issue with the oil pressure sensor and also they could not see the "engine oil pressure low" error again even after multiple tests.

Their suggestion is, either i drive it as it is and come back again if i get theerror message again or alternatively check if there is any engine damage/change oil pump.
Do you think i should go ahead and ask them to go ahead with whatever they suggested or wait to see if the error appears again?
Car seems to be running fine.
It actually depends on your trust in the sensor. If you believe it doesn't fail you can proceed killing the pump, apparently. If the engine (repair) cost is your concern, it may be the time to change the whole set involved (much cheaper, I presume). And by the way, I wouldn't (and I don't) save on the oil: use the "official" one.
Appreciate 1
jps181.00
      01-11-2022, 05:29 AM   #7
jps18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It actually depends on your trust in the sensor. If you believe it doesn't fail you can proceed killing the pump, apparently. If the engine (repair) cost is your concern, it may be the time to .
Thank you. I was informed by the mechanic that its better to change the timing chain along with the oil pump change. I have taken an insurance that covers repairs. Hopefully they will be approve to cover this even though timing chain or oil pump is not specifically mentioned in the policy. Fingers crossed.

Approximate cost for changing Oil pump(including chain,labor,etc) =1000 EUR
For timing chain change, its almost around the same price.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:54 AM   #8
jps18
Rep

Update: Insurance did not want to pay unless we prove something is damaged. mechanic says he dismounted everything and checked the condition of oil pump and timing chain and found no problem but just normal wear and tear. so still no clue on why the problem occurs

Meanwhile, i am hearing strange clicking noise in the engine bay. I got the car today only and mechanic says its normal.

Last edited by jps18; 01-26-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Update: Insurance did not want to pay unless we prove something is damaged. mechanic says he dismounted everything and checked the condition of oil pump and timing chain and found no problem but just normal wear and tear. so still no clue on why the problem occurs
Of course they don't want to pay for preventive repairs. Nor they will for expensive ones. So, if it's not the pressure valve, either, then it must be the pressure sensor, I guess.

Quote:
Meanwhile, i am hearing strange clicking noise in the engine bay. I got the car today only and mechanic says its normal.
I don't hear anything similar (I didn't bother to open the bonnet though, just stood next to it). Should I worry? I guess not. You didn't overlook a neighbour thread, I hope. It might be a pulley.
Appreciate 1
jps181.00