BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Post edited photos here
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #89
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Bill ee, did you do anything besides saturation? I really like how the sky pops with the highlighting and rays.

If you like, DxO's Optics Pro 5.3 will automatically correct for that lens disortion of the straight lines near the edges curving. I use DxO for my RAW conversion and automatic correction for geometric lens and body errors and then use PS for more serious adjusting. The DxO allows lots of adjustments to saturation, contrast, dynamic range, straightening horisons, etc., so most of my images don't go into PS. I find that DxO does a much better job than Canon's software and is much easier to use for these type adjustments than PS.

Getting rid of lens distortion used to be no big thing to me, until I processed my first batch through DxO and saw the before and after. Now I notice it on the images of others and have become an apostle for DxO. Sorry, I'm not meaning to take away from a nice image.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #90
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
The blur is nice, but get rid of it on the mountain since that's not realistic. Objects in the distance don't move as fast as objects closer to you.
ah, i was kinda on the fence about the blur when i added it. thanks for the input.
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #91
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
ah, i was kinda on the fence about the blur when i added it. thanks for the input.
I'm from the opposite view, if the road is going to be blurred then so must the mountains. It would be unnatural to blur the road, focus the car AND focus the mountains.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #92
rodi
. . .
109
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

unnatural how? it's realistic - that's what happens.

edit: unless, of course, you're shooting telephoto of something up close. then the mountains would be out of focus, but not with motion blur.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #93
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
unnatural how? it's realistic - that's what happens.

edit: unless, of course, you're shooting telephoto of something up close. then the mountains would be out of focus, but not with motion blur.

If he's trying to get the look of panning, then everything in the foreground and background should be blurred. It looks to me as if that's the effect he's going for, to bring attention to the car and give the feeling of speed. If that's not what he's attempting, then I think that he needs to take more of the blur out, perhaps.

The attention on the accuracy of the mountain will take away the focus on the car. Of course, the objective might be to show the car in a scenic setting. If that's the case, then he needs to bring up detail on the mountain and fog/clouds.

There are several "legitimate" ways to go with with this picture. I just assumed from his first changes that he was trying to focus on the car and give more feeling of speed.

BTW, the color balance, as adjusted, of the car is spot on, IMHO.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #94
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
If he's trying to get the look of panning, then everything in the foreground and background should be blurred. It looks to me as if that's the effect he's going for, to bring attention to the car and give the feeling of speed. If that's not what he's attempting, then I think that he needs to take more of the blur out, perhaps.

The attention on the accuracy of the mountain will take away the focus on the car. Of course, the objective might be to show the car in a scenic setting. If that's the case, then he needs to bring up detail on the mountain and fog/clouds.

There are several "legitimate" ways to go with with this picture. I just assumed from his first changes that he was trying to focus on the car and give more feeling of speed.

BTW, the color balance, as adjusted, of the car is spot on, IMHO.

Dave
thats exactly what i was trying to enhance. the blur may be a bit exaggerated and overdone, but im still a n00b im open to any feedback though. after all, this is a learning process and any input is appreciated
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #95
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Yes, please take all comments in the spirit of learning. I'm still a novice myself at PS (there's so much to learn). I've got a few pictures that I've alterred in several ways and my favorite changes from day-to-day. There's no "one way" that's "right."

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #96
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yes, please take all comments in the spirit of learning. I'm still a novice myself at PS (there's so much to learn). I've got a few pictures that I've alterred in several ways and my favorite changes from day-to-day. There's no "one way" that's "right."

Dave
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #97
rodi
. . .
109
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

right on. i do a lot of compositing at work. mainly video - so trying to emulate accurate depth of field characteristics all of the time causes me to notice things like that. the unrealistic blur (however well done it is, and it is pretty well done there, jh), throws me off.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #98
BillLee
Major General
BillLee's Avatar
United_States
448
Rep
5,395
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HTX

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Bill ee, did you do anything besides saturation? I really like how the sky pops with the highlighting and rays.

If you like, DxO's Optics Pro 5.3 will automatically correct for that lens disortion of the straight lines near the edges curving. I use DxO for my RAW conversion and automatic correction for geometric lens and body errors and then use PS for more serious adjusting. The DxO allows lots of adjustments to saturation, contrast, dynamic range, straightening horisons, etc., so most of my images don't go into PS. I find that DxO does a much better job than Canon's software and is much easier to use for these type adjustments than PS.

Getting rid of lens distortion used to be no big thing to me, until I processed my first batch through DxO and saw the before and after. Now I notice it on the images of others and have become an apostle for DxO. Sorry, I'm not meaning to take away from a nice image.

Dave
lol it's okay.
i really don't remember what i did, i believe i used the burn tool, adjusted the color balance, and contrast a little bit. i re-did the pic though cause you can see a line at the very top from my bad burning skills.
these are the 2 new ones i just fixed, i like the 2nd one. it seems to pop out more, but it does look like i fixed it up a bit too much.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #99
brandon @ eas
brandon @ eas's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
3,620
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (10)

Send a message via AIM to brandon @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
lol it's okay.
i really don't remember what i did, i believe i used the burn tool, adjusted the color balance, and contrast a little bit. i re-did the pic though cause you can see a line at the very top from my bad burning skills.
these are the 2 new ones i just fixed, i like the 2nd one. it seems to pop out more, but it does look like i fixed it up a bit too much.


wow, wow and wow!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #100
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

before
Name:  1239001361758.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  146.8 KB

after
Name:  12390013617582.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  149.2 KB
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #101
951's 330i
Lieutenant Colonel
951's 330i's Avatar
Mexico
58
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, 95 RB-S14
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 951 Corona SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to 951's 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruz View Post
some of my recent work






How did you make the orange from the sky come out, or like in the second pic, make the clouds look like that. I love this kinda stuff. Wish i would of saw all of this earlier for my PS class, would of helped out a lot.
__________________

2006 E90-Running like brand new again. Take that insurance company
95 S14-Sold
95 S14 Rb25det-Vrom Shhh
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #102
Saigon
Brigadier General
Saigon's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
3,526
Posts

Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (47)

Send a message via AIM to Saigon Send a message via MSN to Saigon










is it possible to edit these?
__________________
07' Alpine White E93 335i

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #103
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
is it possible to edit these?
Is the Pope Catholic???

What do you want to do and what software do you have?

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #104
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

before
Name:  Mfest 119.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  249.5 KB

after
Name:  poooop.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  130.2 KB
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #105
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

you can see the spots on the paint where i messed up a bit. i did that edit while in bed, with my laptop on my stomach
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #106
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Yeah, I see that bright highlight. With orange cars you really need to be careful with color balance. I think the "Before" was too warm, but I think your adjusted balance is a bit too green. You probably needed to mask the car and get its color balance where you wanted it (I like where you have it) and do a separate balance on the background. You might consider taking the background to sepia or B&W and keep the car orange. It would really pop then.

Speaking of background, realize that I'm old fashioned and behind the times, the angle doesn't bother me too much, but that building in the background annoys me. You could Clone out that building, if you agree.

I'd try to bring up the details in the wheels a little, if the pixels are there.

About the angle on the horizon, I like angles, but when the horizon gets close to horizontal, but not all the way, then you risk people thinking that you simply didn't pay attention to the horizon. Personally, I'd straighten the horizon OR increase the angle. Still, I see all you guys doing lots and lots of angles, so I'm open to your interpretations and discussion of when and why to use angles. The crop is so close to the rear of the car, you may not have many options with the angle now.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #107
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1014
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yeah, I see that bright highlight. With orange cars you really need to be careful with color balance. I think the "Before" was too warm, but I think your adjusted balance is a bit too green. You probably needed to mask the car and get its color balance where you wanted it (I like where you have it) and do a separate balance on the background. You might consider taking the background to sepia or B&W and keep the car orange. It would really pop then.

Speaking of background, realize that I'm old fashioned and behind the times, the angle doesn't bother me too much, but that building in the background annoys me. You could Clone out that building, if you agree.

I'd try to bring up the details in the wheels a little, if the pixels are there.

About the angle on the horizon, I like angles, but when the horizon gets close to horizontal, but not all the way, then you risk people thinking that you simply didn't pay attention to the horizon. Personally, I'd straighten the horizon OR increase the angle. Still, I see all you guys doing lots and lots of angles, so I'm open to your interpretations and discussion of when and why to use angles. The crop is so close to the rear of the car, you may not have many options with the angle now.

Dave
i agree with a lot of what you said. to be honest, the only reason i decided to crop the car was to get rid of the distracting structure in the bg. i probably wouldve taken the time to clone it out like you said, but i was in such an uncomfortable and awkward position; my accuracy with the trackpad was shot.

its also funny that you mention the lack of detail in the wheel. i posted this before and after on my 'wall photo's on facebook where i mentioned 'i dont like how dark the wheels are'

thanks for the input though, its the whole reason i post these edits
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #108
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1176
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
its also funny that you mention the lack of detail in the wheel. i posted this before and after on my 'wall photo's on facebook where i mentioned 'i dont like how dark the wheels are'

thanks for the input though, its the whole reason i post these edits

Yeah, LOL, we all have our ideas about how things should look. I backtrack all the time in PS, thinking somethings a good idea until I see it and go back to where I started.

Give and take is what this forum is all about.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #109
Saigon
Brigadier General
Saigon's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
3,526
Posts

Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (47)

Send a message via AIM to Saigon Send a message via MSN to Saigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Is the Pope Catholic???

What do you want to do and what software do you have?

Dave
iono make them look brighter and more crisp? I have photoshop but i suck with it
__________________
07' Alpine White E93 335i

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #110
Cyruz
Captain
45
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951's 330i View Post
How did you make the orange from the sky come out, or like in the second pic, make the clouds look like that. I love this kinda stuff. Wish i would of saw all of this earlier for my PS class, would of helped out a lot.
in lightroom i added a GND (graduated neutral density) filter to the sky. basically turned the birhgtness or exposure down in the area the filter was in with out hitting the foreground of the pic.
__________________
Living on the fringe of lunacy

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST