BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New 2012 BMW 1-Series hatchback spyshots. The bodysuit comes off!

12-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
New 2012 BMW 1-Series hatchback spyshots. The bodysuit comes off!

BIMMERPOST NEWS
New 2012 BMW 1-Series hatchback spyshots. The bodysuit comes off!
COMMENTS
Name:  NR7N0280.jpg
Views: 20569
Size:  609.3 KB

The time has finally arrived, the BMW body obscuring cladding has come off the next generation 1-Series hatchback (F20). The car has grown in size to parallel the car's growth in popularity and aims to improve upon the original 1-Series. It goes without saying that quality will be improved, but what these pictures confirm is what has so far been speculation regarding styling.

The next generation 1-series will fall in line with the rest of the BMW range. The car has a newly sculpted hood reminiscent of the F10 5-series and F25 X3 with sharp and hyper crisp body sculpting line running from the front fender through the door handles to the rear in an aggressive arc. The front and rear bumpers too follow the current BMW trends of aggressive and angular shapes that were normally reserved for M-Sport variants.

However, do not be fooled by the clever black masking tape around the headlights. This masking pattern is in place to throw you off the mark. Upon close inspection of the pictures, the car actually looks to have a headlight cutout shape that roughly approximates the 5-Series GT, however with some very unique elements, namely the inner high beam lights are offset and elevated from the regular headlamps that should give the car an extremely menacing front end.

With this amount of camouflage removed from the car at once, expect more details about this car to appear in the next coming months in fairly rapid form. It seems for now that BMW will follow the formula used for the original 1-Series and the 3-Series, which is to release the base variant (hatchback) first, and then follow up with the Coupe and Convertible a year later.

The car itself is built on BMWs new modular platform that allows BMW to expand the 1-Series range with more variants then ever while reducing costs, allowing BMW to give us more. Expect heavy use of turbo technology with the typical 4 and 6 cylinder engines. However, the oft-rumored Three cylinder engine may also make its debut with this car.

According to our BMW longterm roadmap (http://www.bimmerpost.com/future-bmw), we expect the next generation F20 1-series to make its public debut at the 2011 Frankfurt IAA motorshow in September 2011.

Keep up to date with the latest 1-series news as we get it by following the F20 on BIMMERPOST: http://www.bimmerpost.com/1-series/f20/

Name:  NR7N0280.jpg
Views: 20569
Size:  609.3 KB

Name:  NR7N0288.jpg
Views: 16864
Size:  621.2 KB

Name:  NR7N0291.jpg
Views: 20691
Size:  631.9 KB

Name:  NR7N0293.jpg
Views: 30121
Size:  441.1 KB

Name:  NR7N0294.jpg
Views: 33275
Size:  446.9 KB

Name:  NR7N0295.jpg
Views: 29025
Size:  461.5 KB

Name:  NR7N0297.jpg
Views: 33774
Size:  466.3 KB

Name:  NR7N0300.jpg
Views: 32803
Size:  418.5 KB

Name:  NR7N0302.jpg
Views: 27977
Size:  400.9 KB

Name:  NR7N0305.jpg
Views: 35822
Size:  356.9 KB
      12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I wonder if it will come to the states...id rock it as a DD

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

My fears have come true. It looks like the Fer 1ers are takeing the shape of a 3er. I don' t like the rounded out hood like the current 3er has. The side/door handel setup is ok. E82 1er was unique with classic edges and suttle curves, now it's taking the shape of a dime a dozen space ship.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I spy a rear diff... so I guess it will still be RWD!

I also guess this will be the new 2er and not a 1er anymore. And damm those headlights are huge - the way they wrap around the fenders. Not a fan of that.

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 12-14-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I spy a rear diff... so I guess it will still be RWD! I also guess this will be the new 2er and not a 1er anymore.

Dackel
I think the FWD car will be the sub 1-series car, so this helps confirm that . Also it sounds like BMW is toying with the idea of a 2-series, but most likely the 2-series would be the coupe/cabrio while this car the rumored GT variant would remain as the 1-series.
      12-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
bmwF10
Dark Knight
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Ask NASA.

Those rear lights are just...confusing?

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwF10 View Post
Those rear lights are just...confusing?
they look to be the same as the 1M
      12-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
they look to be the same as the 1M
Which is the same as BMWs new taillight design. Its just branding...like the kidney grills and angel eyes. Every BMW made for a while will have those swoopy things.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
CLOCK M3
Rep
Drives: slowly w/ baby onbaord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I wonder if it will come to the states...id rock it as a DD
They really need to bring the 1 wagon to the states, with a diesel engine.

Gone and missed: 1992 325i, 2002 BMW 330ci, 2003 BMW M3, 1961 Porsche 356
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
My fears have come true. It looks like the Fer 1ers are takeing the shape of a 3er. I don' t like the rounded out hood like the current 3er has. The side/door handel setup is ok. E82 1er was unique with classic edges and suttle curves, now it's taking the shape of a dime a dozen space ship.
+1, E82 is the last generation of well-proportioned, unique 1 series
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
They really need to bring the 1 wagon to the states, with a diesel engine.
It would not sell.

The headlights are actually much smaller, than indicated by the tape trying to suggest something else.
The rear brings a new idenity to the 1er which is an evolutionary re-imagining of the current E87. The new Coupe and Cabrio get similar lights with sharpened edges , ditching the current car's L-Shaped design. Except F22 and F33 are more longer to suit the proportions of the Coupe and Cabrio decklid.
      12-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It would not sell.
And yet BMW thought the 5erGT would? Thats an idiotic reason.

Bring the 1er hatch over...hell brand it as a Mini for all I care and keep the price around the GTi and you will have a hit on your hands.

Dont let slow sales of the A3 deter you (BTW Ive seen more Refreshed A3s on the road than 5GTs) Audi has aweful lease programs and the want 45K for what is essentially an Audi badged R32.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Bring the 1er hatch over...hell brand it as a Mini for all I care and keep the price around the GTi and you will have a hit on your hands.

Dont let slow sales of the A3 deter you (BTW Ive seen more Refreshed A3s on the road than 5GTs) Audi has aweful lease programs and the want 45K for what is essentially an Audi badged R32.
Agree. A BMW RWD based I4 Turbo gas or diesel priced between a GTI and 128i would sell like hotcakes.

Make RWD based AWD drive I4 turbo gas or diesel and I'll be the first one to buy it. WRC anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

5er Gran Turismo has actually performed quite well with Worldwide sales of over 20,000 units.

In the US Market the car has a combined unit sales of the same amount of E61 5er Tourings for 3 years and that is just with the Gran Turismo just landing in the later part of 2009.

That is easy to say on paper but when it comes to real life and actual sales the X5 diesel is a success the 335d is not.

When asked why , they dont associate a diesel with BMW , a Premium brand.
BMW have only one diesel converted to accomodate US fuel and will produce a four cylinder diesel in the near future but expect these only on the X3 (six) and X1(four).
BMW are not VW , BMW customers in the US see BMW as a more select premium brand that delivers on the worlds best driving sedans. And are unaware of the vast choice of models available in Europe.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 12-14-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

idk... It looks smart, more dynamic... not a fan of those headlights, for now.
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
I would say the last well proportioned BMW. Hopefully the Z2M will get it right.

Scott, Any new Z2 info you can share? Please don't use the front end of the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
Considering the e82 is the only 1 series BMW has ever made so far, thats not exactly saying much, especially if you consider the fact that you pretty much cannot see anything on this car.

Quote:

Sales in the U.S. for premium hatchbacks have been... lets be kind, and say disappointing. The Ford Fiesta, which was praised by nearly everybody in Europe came to U.S. to really high expectations. It handled beautifully; looked fantastic; came with a really great, quality interior, and was attractively priced, but is currently being outsold by most of its competitors, including the Chevy Aveo.

The 1-series hatch makes no sense in a country where most people would look at the car and say BMW has gone to shit, because they equate hatchbacks with cheapness.

To be honest, I like where this car is headed. It seems more in line with the rest of BMW's lineup, instead of being the slightly awkward looking cousin that was shepherded in.

I wonder if this increase in size is supposed to signal that the 3-Series might be moving slightly more upscale?

Last edited by Coni; 12-14-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

=(

It looks boxish now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
5er Gran Turismo has actually performed quite well with Worldwide sales of over 20,000 units.

In the US Market the car has a combined unit sales of the same amount of E61 5er Tourings for 3 years and that is just with the Gran Turismo just landing in the later part of 2009.
I remember BMW specifically talking about low sales on the GT not too long ago and they attributed it to the lack of nonV8 engines...really Scott? I get that you are a marketing guy but everybody can see that it is a pointlessly ugly vehicle.

BMW is very into creating niches that are no there, aka the Luxury crossover/SAV in the X3 and X5. Whatever niche the X6 was supposed to fill.

The small near luxury sports car in the states with the 1 series.

The performance sedan in the 1600 and lets not forget the 2002tii.
They took the iconic sporty FWD hatch away from the GTi with the Mini.

BMW has a nack of finding niches that should not be there but the moment that an untapped market in the US comes about, The small RWD hatch, it is ignored by them.

BMW is missing out on a very anxious market share and a niche that they can fill with a car that already exists. Has anybody at BMW thought that maybe small nice hatches have a bad rap in the states because the only one here currently the A3, which is a bad car that is overpriced.

With some slick marketing and a good car BMW could easily take that market share for themselves. But they are too blinded in the 90s notion that Americans are simpletons who equate money with size and who only want big cars with 22"s and a snarling V8. Those times are over. and the sooner automakers like BMW realize that the sooner we can start having legitimately good and small cars sold here.

The 1 series is a car capable of changing american's idea of the small car, just get your head out of the ground and realize that.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

I wonder what the coupe will look like.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
I remember BMW specifically talking about low sales on the GT not too long ago and they attributed it to the lack of nonV8 engines...really Scott? I get that you are a marketing guy but everybody can see that it is a pointlessly ugly vehicle.

BMW is very into creating niches that are no there, aka the Luxury crossover/SAV in the X3 and X5. Whatever niche the X6 was supposed to fill.

The small near luxury sports car in the states with the 1 series.

The performance sedan in the 1600 and lets not forget the 2002tii.
They took the iconic sporty FWD hatch away from the GTi with the Mini.

BMW has a nack of finding niches that should not be there but the moment that an untapped market in the US comes about, The small RWD hatch, it is ignored by them.

BMW is missing out on a very anxious market share and a niche that they can fill with a car that already exists. Has anybody at BMW thought that maybe small nice hatches have a bad rap in the states because the only one here currently the A3, which is a bad car that is overpriced.

With some slick marketing and a good car BMW could easily take that market share for themselves. But they are too blinded in the 90s notion that Americans are simpletons who equate money with size and who only want big cars with 22"s and a snarling V8. Those times are over. and the sooner automakers like BMW realize that the sooner we can start having legitimately good and small cars sold here.

The 1 series is a car capable of changing american's idea of the small car, just get your head out of the ground and realize that.
While I disagree with most everything you said, the bolded part stands out to me the most. What you said is entirely true, truck and suv sales are increasing! People in America equate bigger with better. In America, people would rather get a less optioned base-spec 5 series then a fully optioned 335i, while it is the reverse in Europe. So that equates to people in America would rather have a small SUV than a small hatchback.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:

That is easy to say on paper but when it comes to real life and actual sales the X5 diesel is a success the 335d is not.

When asked why , they dont associate a diesel with BMW , a Premium brand.
BMW have only one diesel converted to accomodate US fuel and will produce a four cylinder diesel in the near future but expect these only on the X3 (six) and X1(four).
BMW are not VW , BMW customers in the US see BMW as a more select premium brand that delivers on the worlds best driving sedans. And are unaware of the vast choice of models available in Europe.
I know exactly what you mean on the diesel and the proliferation of various BMW models in other markets. I just returned from a trip to Argentina and it was amazing to see a huge proportion of the BMW models as diesels, not to mention the VWs; for example, a brand new VW pick up truck (Amarok, I think) built by VW Commercial Vehicles, all as TDis. One of the premium manufacturers needs to aggressively lead the charge on selling the virtues of diesel to the market though. BMW is nicely placed to take the plunge as it has very strong performers in its diesel line, the prime example being that 35d with 265hp and 425lb ft torque. Hard to beat. I suspect the motivation in other markets is how prohibitively expensive fuel is. It is still comparably cheap in the US.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0