BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > ***Official Bimmerpost Photo Contest #11: Depth of Field***
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1610
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

I would agree with Udub. The thing about DOF is that it's broad like "shutter speed." Basically picture would qualify for DOF (and yes I mean ANY). If it was broken down to something specific like "shallow DOF" then it's a more specific theme. It is a little bit strange that some pix in this contest are of other "theme" (e.g. macro, etc.). With that said, I think the pix that have been submitted are pretty wicked so I don't really have a problem with any of them (or the theme/contest). Hence my other post about me liking the theme.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #46
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
497
Rep
24,713
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I would agree with Udub. The thing about DOF is that it's broad like "shutter speed." Basically picture would qualify for DOF (and yes I mean ANY). If it was broken down to something specific like "shallow DOF" then it's a more specific theme. It is a little bit strange that some pix in this contest are of other "theme" (e.g. macro, etc.). With that said, I think the pix that have been submitted are pretty wicked so I don't really have a problem with any of them (or the theme/contest). Hence my other post about me liking the theme.
well put... I really like it too but I just feel like some of the pics don't showcase a strong DOF like others do. However I will say again, AWESOME submissions none the less.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #47
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
2698
Rep
6,632
Posts

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.l.e.x. View Post
"park with caution"

I like it.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1173
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Let's talk a little about "macro". My entry, "M-Stitch" is technically a "macro" because I used an extension tube to shorten the DOF and change the focus point of a normal lens. Like I said when I posted the entry, it's really part of a pair of images , one focuses on the stitches and the other focuses on the "M" from the same perspective, with only the focus changing. Still, it's a macro. I think that excluding it would be similar to excluding as shot taken with an f2.8 200 mm lens wide open just because it'd be hard to take such a shot w/o DOP showing. We all use our "tools".

There's another super-macro entry with DOF of a few mm. Just because it's almost impossible to do super macro and get everything in the frame in focus (a flat piece of paper might do it) I don't think that super macros, or 1-to1 macros for that matter, should be excluded.

In the end, it comes down to the combination of DOP AND subject AND execution. I think when the voting starts the contest will take care of itself.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #49
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
497
Rep
24,713
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Let's talk a little about "macro". My entry, "M-Stitch" is technically a "macro" because I used an extension tube to shorten the DOF and change the focus point of a normal lens. Like I said when I posted the entry, it's really part of a pair of images , one focuses on the stitches and the other focuses on the "M" from the same perspective, with only the focus changing. Still, it's a macro. I think that excluding it would be similar to excluding as shot taken with an f2.8 200 mm lens wide open just because it'd be hard to take such a shot w/o DOP showing. We all use our "tools".

There's another super-macro entry with DOF of a few mm. Just because it's almost impossible to do super macro and get everything in the frame in focus (a flat piece of paper might do it) I don't think that super macros, or 1-to1 macros for that matter, should be excluded.

In the end, it comes down to the combination of DOP AND subject AND execution. I think when the voting starts the contest will take care of itself.

Dave
It rarely does but oh well...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #50
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1173
Rep
7,401
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
It rarely does but oh well...
Well, I don't know that I've ever voted for the winner, BUT...

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #51
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5846
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

"Deadwood"

__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #52
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1008
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

^ that is one remarkable shot
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #53
mistry
Captain
mistry's Avatar
31
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: F11 530D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South West

iTrader: (1)

I'll join in, and hopefully this will fit the rules

British Coast

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #54
john0213
The Allergy Season
john0213's Avatar
Canada
35
Rep
1,009
Posts

Drives: E92 Blk Saph. 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistry View Post
I'll join in, and hopefully this will fit the rules

British Coast

Woot Tilt & Shift lens!!
__________________
2008 - E92 Blk Sapphire / Coral Red 335xi (Delivered)
Nav / Premium + Sound / Sport / CA / 6AT + Shift Pad
2003 - Silverstone / Burnt Orange Fairlady 350Z (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #55
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1008
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

theres so much win ITT. i honestly cant see a single image just dominating, theyre all well done
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #56
Bowzyr
Private
United_States
5
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs***** View Post
"I'm Golden!"
Whoa weird.. Bangkok?

I think we were standing in the same exact place!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #57
BillLee
Major General
BillLee's Avatar
United_States
448
Rep
5,395
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HTX

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [4.50]
i think every person that visited Bangkok has that picture ^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #58
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
117
Rep
1,601
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowzyr View Post
Whoa weird.. Bangkok?

I think we were standing in the same exact place!

Oh damn! Nice... grand palace is pretty crazy! Looks like someone got a bedazzler and went buck wild!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #59
rodi
. . .
109
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)



"solace" for your titling purposes.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #60
inabis
Captain
inabis's Avatar
149
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach->Denver->Seattle->The Bay

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
well put... I really like it too but I just feel like some of the pics don't showcase a strong DOF like others do. However I will say again, AWESOME submissions none the less.
So, are you looking for pics with strong bokeh? I have quite a bit of those and would like to change my submission if that's true. Maybe it could be the next contest?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #61
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
497
Rep
24,713
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
So, are you looking for pics with strong bokeh? I have quite a bit of those and would like to change my submission if that's true. Maybe it could be the next contest?
i think that it would be assumed that those have the best depth of field... so yes
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #62
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1008
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistry View Post
I'll join in, and hopefully this will fit the rules

British Coast

it looks like a toy town
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #63
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
497
Rep
24,713
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
I thought the same thing too when I saw it
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #64
forza1976
Major General
forza1976's Avatar
United_States
333
Rep
5,043
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550 & M240
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver

iTrader: (13)

Popcorn



105mm
f/3.5
exp: 1/50 (ap)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #65
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1610
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Took this at Davis today. It was some big ass tree with flowers on it. I'll just call it "Dragon Spines".
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #66
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
United_States
1008
Rep
17,311
Posts

Drives: 330e
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

omg there are so many great shots
__________________
Client Advisor @ Center BMW Sherman Oaks, CA

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST