BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Are my problems common?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
No one
Captain
270
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: F21 118i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I doubt that's helping your cause very much. If they see you're not interested, why would they engage? If you want this fixed there's going to be some discussion about what's normal and acceptable, and what's not.
If they admit they can't do anything, what's the purpose of further discussion? Spending time? Or proving they claim wrong as there's still something they can do: soothing.

Another way to find out if the clonking issue is so very common could be test driving.

IMHO, "if you want it fixed" you should look for a(nother) service that is capable of proper diagnostics and fixing. This can be much simpler than proving to these people they underestimate themselves and giving them too many chances to learn by trying.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:20 AM   #24
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
165
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
If they admit they can't do anything, what's the purpose of further discussion? Spending time? Or proving they claim wrong as there's still something they can do: soothing. .
Because they're not admitting there's nothing they can do.....they're choosing to do nothing because its difficult, hard to find and in their opinion, not dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Another way to find out if the clonking issue is so very common could be test driving..
If it happens with 1:100 cars, that's an awful lot of test driving you'd need to do to find even 2 examples of the problem. Some problems only show up once there's thousands of production units in the field and a small proportion exhibit similar problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
IMHO, "if you want it fixed" you should look for a(nother) service that is capable of proper diagnostics and fixing. This can be much simpler than proving to these people they underestimate themselves and giving them too many chances to learn by trying.
Every authorized dealer has the tools and trained technicians to fix this problem. This is simply a negotiation about whether something tricky, difficult to find and probably benign gets fixed under warranty.

Some faults are really only 'cosmetic' or 'annoying' like a squeak or a rattle but can be damned difficult to trace and fix. So dealers tend to filter their customers into those who'll accept the problem as 'normal' and those who won't.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
No one
Captain
270
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: F21 118i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Because they're not admitting there's nothing they can do.....they're choosing to do nothing because its difficult, hard to find and in their opinion, not dangerous
It's your assumption:

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvic View Post
I gave up listening past the "theres nothing we can do".
.

I admit it's a fair one and you can try to prove your point that "can" and "want" aren't synonyms. It's just a hard way, IMHO. I deny violence. Bending people to do something should be avoided if possible. Softer options could be better to explore (if they exist, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
If it happens with 1:100 cars, that's an awful lot of test driving you'd need to do to find even 2 examples of the problem.
My point was: if the single test car shows no sign of the issue you can claim "I want the same!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Every authorized dealer has the tools and trained technicians to fix this problem. This is simply a negotiation about whether something tricky, difficult to find and probably benign gets fixed under warranty.
Yes of course. It's just from practice (I don't have a wealth of experience, fortunately, just pay attention to others' forum reports) they still differ in approach and qualification. Sometimes it takes no dispute. And neither much time and effort. If they just have the experience investigating and solving the issue successfully either from more constructive approach or from being defeated by another tough customer already, for example (letting alone the technicians "quality": "train" isn't always "gain").
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Servotronic steering IS a variable system, the assistance is increased when low speed manouvering and firms up at higher speeds.

If sport is selected the steering feel is set to firmer all the time iirc.
__________________
120d Sport gone and replaced with X1 18d XDrive MSport Auto.
No Xenons but plenty of creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
203
Rep
3,149
Posts

Drives: F20 LCI 118i M-Sport B38
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Servotronic steering IS a variable system, the assistance is increased when low speed manouvering and firms up at higher speeds.

If sport is selected the steering feel is set to firmer all the time iirc.
Yes, the power assist is variable, unlike the basic steering. The so called variable sport steering does however have variable ratio, being faster towards the ends than the center. Or perhaps more variable than the regular steering.

I have the consistent steering!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #28
No one
Captain
270
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: F21 118i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Servotronic steering IS a variable system
Not in that sense, sorry. Please see the The_BMW_1_Series_Sports_Hatch_3-door_and_5-door_Brochure_April_2014.pdf currently available at www.bmw.co.uk to find the following:

"Variable Sport Steering. This optional mechanical system constantly adjusts the steering ratio to suit the driving situation. With the help of Servotronic, it reduces the steering movement required to turn the wheels to make light work of parking and manoeuvring. Furthermore, it increases agility, noticeable in particular when driving dynamically around tight bends and curves (standard with M135i)."

and

"2VL Variable Sport steering includes Servotronic and reduces the necessary steering movement in large steering wheel turns."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #29
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Yes, the power assist is variable, unlike the basic steering. The so called variable sport steering does however have variable ratio, being faster towards the ends than the center. Or perhaps more variable than the regular steering.

I have the consistent steering!
Ah a more concise explanation of what was being referred to as being variable.

I have the standard steering on the X1 and I prefer it (No clonking either).
__________________
120d Sport gone and replaced with X1 18d XDrive MSport Auto.
No Xenons but plenty of creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
oldmancoyote
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, I tried to cause a clonking in my car (M135i, so it should have the variable sports steering) - no avail. Tried from a standstill, moving slowly, even with the engine turned off on a fairly slippery floor; to the left and to the right. The tyres would squeak at times, but no suspension noise whatsoever.

@osvic: does the dealer admit that your steering makes a noise? Or is it something that - like many of these gremlins - only manifests itself when you are driving but disappears as soon as a mechanic is in sight?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #31
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
165
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's your assumption:
Correct. But given that a car is simply a collection of parts, screwed and bolted together, all of which can be replaced, its a pretty safe assumption..
If they've replaced nothing so far, then by definition they can do more.

I'm not trying to be right here....I'm just trying to help

Sometimes you'll buy a car that has a fault that will drive you nuts, that another driver may hardly notice, if at all. A squeak in the dashboard, creaking in the seat, rattle in the centre consul whatever. Both BMW and the dealer know very well to try and avoid repairing these cosmetic 'blemishes' because it costs time and money. However they will repair them if the customer insists.

There's a guy kept taking his Jag back because of a creaking groaning noise from the back pillar. The guy is anal about his cars (sorry 'nuts' if you're reading this). After several visits, Jaguar gave up, took his 6 month old car back and gave him a brand new one. They treated him with respect because he didn't let them off the hook (and because he buys loads of cars)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #32
No one
Captain
270
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: F21 118i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

This discussion obviously needs a conclusion already but I just can't help adding another bit. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
If they've replaced nothing so far, then by definition they can do more.
They have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvic View Post
I have had a new steering rack,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I'm not trying to be right here....I'm just trying to help
Sure. So am I. No offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Both BMW and the dealer know very well to try and avoid repairing these cosmetic 'blemishes' because it costs time and money. However they will repair them if the customer insists.
AFAIK, BMW does work on eliminating "weak points". Some of F20/21's are gone (hopefully): steering squeak, rear rattle in cold weather, cooling system leak - I never experienced these on my 2013 June (well, I'm into my second winter, still worried a bit...). They issue the software and parts upgrades - people say. Of course it's all from customer feedback. I had my boot door warranty repainted (paint doming) - they noticed it when I came in for oil change and fixed "on their own", though people had to argue for that previously.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
because he buys loads of cars
That must be expensive.

A Peugeot cabrio owner once was told by an authorized service they had no means to repair his folding roof. He went to another (same city) and got it fixed no questions asked.

Both approaches we've discussed can work or work not in a particular situation. And the choice certainly depends on one's temper as well. osvic just seems to lack some patience which is no good every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
165
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Nice post

Let's agree to agree
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
osvic
New Member
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: F20 118d M sport,
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Just for clarity on the test drive point I was given a loan car on 6 of the visits back to the dealership.

120d M Sport - no knocking
116I Sport - no knocking
320d touring M Sport - no knocking
2 x 118d sport - no knocking
316d touring sport - no knocking.

I pointed this out to the dealer. I have complained the BMW UK just in general aboutmy disappointment and they inform me it is a characteristic of the car and my dealer had been in contact with technical support at every opportunity!! So nothing more is going to happen!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #35
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
matthewcornish's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cardiff

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvic View Post
they inform me it is a characteristic of the car
That's a shame. I'm worried because I've been told this about what I regard to be a fault on my car and feel that I'm not going to get anywhere with it.
__________________
Current: 2014 F21 M135i Estoril Blue
Previously: 2012 F21 116D M Sport Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #36
oldmancoyote
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvic View Post
Just for clarity on the test drive point I was given a loan car on 6 of the visits back to the dealership.

120d M Sport - no knocking
116I Sport - no knocking
320d touring M Sport - no knocking
2 x 118d sport - no knocking
316d touring sport - no knocking.

I pointed this out to the dealer. I have complained the BMW UK just in general aboutmy disappointment and they inform me it is a characteristic of the car and my dealer had been in contact with technical support at every opportunity!! So nothing more is going to happen!
But I think the point on the test drive is not only whether the other cars clonk; it's more to do with whether the dealer hears (or admits) that yours does AND that the others don't. If the latter is the case, they cannot claim that it is a "characteristic of the car", and you could well have a fair case to reject the car and ask for a replacement.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST