BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Anyone moved from E90 M3 to M135i?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Anyone moved from E90 M3 to M135i?

I'm looking at changing our E89 Z4 30i, and shortlisting replacements. We have a 335d tourer, so doesn't need to be especially practical, we're just thinking that back seats in the second car would be better. I still want a car suitable for a track day occasionally (couple of days a year), back road blasts, but still everyday usable for commuting.

Obvious contenders are M135i, and E90 M3. I could go E90 335i, but have had 3xE90's already so would feel like going backwards a little.

I know the M3 will be a better car on the track, and no doubt will cost a lot more to run... just wondering the views of people who have had both?

Interested in hearing about it from all angles - the performance (track or real-world), everyday living with the car, the real cost of ownership etc.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
sootyvrs's Avatar
28
Rep
485
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE UK

iTrader: (1)

On track at the ring together



This time M135i following
__________________
2018 BMW E87 M2

Last edited by sootyvrs; 02-02-2014 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Thanks, have seen this - just proves that these two cars are right for my short list. I guess!

I'm keen to hear more about these two cars from someone who has had both to live with for a while.

Trying to work out whether the extra running costs of the M3 are worth it, if the car is also an every day car too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
sootyvrs's Avatar
28
Rep
485
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE UK

iTrader: (1)

There are a few on babybmw forum who have moved from E9x M3 to M135i and seem happy enough, especially on the running cost front.

I would get an extended test drive of both and decide yourself... both are great all round cars that can do everything in one package although cost to run one is considerably more expensive!

I've have a M135i and have test driven 3 E9x M3's now and would say that the M car perhaps feels a little more special with that engine but you do have to work it! The M135i can be a more lazy drive with good linear torque delivery. The suspension has more roll in the M135i too so doesn't feel as sporty one could argue..

Do get a test drive though... only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost
__________________
2018 BMW E87 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I've had a couple of E92 M3's and also an M135i.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. The M135i is literally half the running cost of the M3. It also offer 95% of the performance on the road of the M3. I never took mine on a track, so can't comment. I'd actually go as far to say the M135 was better suited to road driving as I wasn't so intent of dodging every single pot hole. like in the M3.

Some might argue the hatchback is more practical. But as I never had anyone sit in the back of either car. it did really matter to me.

As brilliant as the M135i is. it just fails to feel special to me.It's something to me driven and not admired from a distance. But I couldn't get enough of driving it and because it didn't brake the bank I could.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
PeterPure
Major
PeterPure's Avatar
Belgium
659
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
I have previously owned an E90 M3 and moved to a M135i.

Besides the fact that the M3 looks nicer and is more spacious it is offcourse more expensive to run. Also due to the engine being NA its more tiresome to drive fast everyday. Under 5.5k rpm its not that fast so you really need to rev it to get some excitement while the low down torque of the M135i makes it feel stronger from 1.5k rpm upwards. I prefer the turbo car for day to day driving.

If your main use of the car would be day to day i would buy the 1'er and spend some money on some mods to give it a more special feeling. Eg JB4, exhaust system, stiffer springs. Perhaps an LSD if you want to take it to the track 10 times a year.

I have started to like the looks of the little baby m and as a daily it never lets me down.

Now the f80 m3 with turbo charged engine might seduce me in a few years. For now the baby m stays
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Cheers creepy coupe and @Darkhold, both your comments are really helpful and the kind of insight I'm after.

In reality, I would use this car during the week to commute in M25 traffic, and then once a month maybe go for a blast in the morning. I do may 2 or 3 track days per year. So in reality it's to be an everyday car first and foremost.

By this reckoning, it seems like the M135i is the more rounded proposition here. I do like doing some mods to my car, and there seems to be plenty reasonable ones to do to the M135i too. I suppose having a cheaper car to run the makes those more affordable!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
165
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Preference

I bought an M135i in preference to an E9x M3. I really like the 8 speed auto and prefer the 1's turbo engine over the similar output NA Z4M due to the low down torque.

Also I really liking having a choice between touring and hoon-mode

The new F80 M3 is a different kettle of fish. Massive torque from low down, low weight and the choice of comfort or sport mode make for a VERY compelling package. The E9X M3 was a thrilling car, but the missing low down torque and sports oriented ride made it a wonderful Sunday morning ride but a tiring choice for long hauls. The new M3's Jekyll and Hyde personality may well be the first perfect 7 days a week car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #9
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
The new M3's Jekyll and Hyde personality may well be the first perfect 7 days a week car.
Got your name down for one Steve?
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
165
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

F80 M3

No yet, but thinking about getting a quote, which is always a danger signal
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
No yet, but thinking about getting a quote, which is always a danger signal
Slippery slope mate
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #12
westphone
Lieutenant
westphone's Avatar
Taiwan
43
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: M135i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

All these cars are really nice, but nothing lower than x35 obviously because of the torque.

E90 335i at least in my region is the car to avoid because reliability problems. I really like the way it looks, however.

M135i is real nice but then you can find everything right/wrong with it online. My own experiments is that, to carry an equal sized adult front and back, the maximum height is 1.73m. So the driver is 1.73m, the person sitting directly behind the drive at max is 1.73 m. This is my current car, but I stared at it for a very long time to like its exterior

I tried out my friend's M3 in a rainy day, and it is more predictable and the back end slides out easily. M135i and M3 will make you very happy in the mountains that's for sure, and both destroy tyres easily, har har.

I vote for M135i + LSD. How about a new/used Cayman S, does everything you want, but no back seat
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
203
Rep
3,150
Posts

Drives: F20 LCI 118i M-Sport B38
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
M135i is real nice but then you can find everything right/wrong with it online. My own experiments is that, to carry an equal sized adult front and back, the maximum height is 1.73m. So the driver is 1.73m, the person sitting directly behind the drive at max is 1.73 m. This is my current car, but I stared at it for a very long time to like its exterior
My height is 1.89m. When I adjust the driver seat to me in the F20, I fit comfortably behind it in the back seat. Four people of my size could easily go on a long trip in this car, but it would have been a bit uncomfortable with 3 people in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Cheers creepy coupe and @Darkhold, both your comments are really helpful and the kind of insight I'm after.

In reality, I would use this car during the week to commute in M25 traffic, and then once a month maybe go for a blast in the morning. I do may 2 or 3 track days per year. So in reality it's to be an everyday car first and foremost.

By this reckoning, it seems like the M135i is the more rounded proposition here. I do like doing some mods to my car, and there seems to be plenty reasonable ones to do to the M135i too. I suppose having a cheaper car to run the makes those more affordable!
Yes the M3 is kind of wasted on the M25. It really needs to be on a nice B Road with some swooping curves.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
All these cars are really nice, but nothing lower than x35 obviously because of the torque.

E90 335i at least in my region is the car to avoid because reliability problems. I really like the way it looks, however.

M135i is real nice but then you can find everything right/wrong with it online. My own experiments is that, to carry an equal sized adult front and back, the maximum height is 1.73m. So the driver is 1.73m, the person sitting directly behind the drive at max is 1.73 m. This is my current car, but I stared at it for a very long time to like its exterior

I tried out my friend's M3 in a rainy day, and it is more predictable and the back end slides out easily. M135i and M3 will make you very happy in the mountains that's for sure, and both destroy tyres easily, har har.

I vote for M135i + LSD. How about a new/used Cayman S, does everything you want, but no back seat
It doesn't need to be big in the back, just have seats there if we need them. We have a new 335d tourer for proper family stuff. The M135i is totally fine for practicality.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Yes the M3 is kind of wasted on the M25. It really needs to be on a nice B Road with some swooping curves.
Yes that's my thought. Seems stupid to burn all that extra petrol to get through the same traffic jam every day.

I agree that the new M3/M4 could be a better everyday car, but having just bought the 335d I won't be spending that kind of money for a few years. No matter how good the deals are, they won't be M135i kind of money!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
PeterPure
Major
PeterPure's Avatar
Belgium
659
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Yes the M3 is kind of wasted on the M25. It really needs to be on a nice B Road with some swooping curves.
Yes that's my thought. Seems stupid to burn all that extra petrol to get through the same traffic jam every day.

I agree that the new M3/M4 could be a better everyday car, but having just bought the 335d I won't be spending that kind of money for a few years. No matter how good the deals are, they won't be M135i kind of money!
Go for it. You wont regret it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #18
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
Go for it. You wont regret it
Well, I may hold on the the Z4 for another year, and then see where we're at... kids, jobs, moving house... all go to complicate the decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #19
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Well, I may hold on the the Z4 for another year, and then see where we're at... kids, jobs, moving house... all go to complicate the decision!
Just tyre kicking then
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #20
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
4966
Rep
17,226
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Just tyre kicking then
Not necessarily. If there were spectacular deals on new a M135i, then would change immediately, but if not then maybe enjoy the Z4 for another summer. If I saw an E90 with just the right spec, condition, age, price then may just jump at it. If the baby comes sooner then will force my hand!

So basically I am open to a change right now if it makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #21
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
creepy coupe's Avatar
1786
Rep
13,034
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Not necessarily. If there were spectacular deals on new a M135i, then would change immediately, but if not then maybe enjoy the Z4 for another summer. If I saw an E90 with just the right spec, condition, age, price then may just jump at it. If the baby comes sooner then will force my hand!

So basically I am open to a change right now if it makes sense...
There are some pretty good deals to be had on the M135i... Coopers of Tunbridge Wells has a very nice used 3 door.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current car.M240i.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST