BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 LCI upgrade to ID5/6
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
Finn2k1
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW 116d
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Greece

iTrader: (0)

F20 LCI upgrade to ID5/6

I have an f20 LCI 116d production date 02.2017 so I think it was the last production month with the old equipment and then they switch to newer (LCI2?).

It came with bmw professional radio and no navigation, however I cannot confirm part number at the moment as I am still waiting for the ENET cable to arrive. I would like to upgrade to an 8.8" screen and to head unit that supports navigation and carplay. After consulting with realoem.com I found out that the unit called HEAD UNIT, BASIC WITH GPS2 supports wifi and preparation for apple carplay.

1. Can I install this part? Or only the HIGH2 (harman evo units?) offer that option?


2. I remember that when I bought the car in 2017 an option to connect and obtain information thru mobile network was available but not anymore. Does this mean that I have an ATM unit? Does this complicate things? Can I simply forget about it and just plug a fakra gps antenna and leave inside the HU area?

3. Does the iDrive controller need to be upgraded as well for the nav mapping or is this retrofit optional?

4. Providing that I will use repair fsc codes bought online, do I care if the replacement HU is newer or older than mine?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
debonas3
New Member
debonas3's Avatar
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 M135i LCI
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Interested as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #3
kubax86
Lieutenant Colonel
kubax86's Avatar
No_Country
918
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: World

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
I have an f20 LCI 116d production date 02.2017 so I think it was the last production month with the old equipment and then they switch to newer (LCI2?).

It came with bmw professional radio and no navigation, however I cannot confirm part number at the moment as I am still waiting for the ENET cable to arrive. I would like to upgrade to an 8.8" screen and to head unit that supports navigation and carplay. After consulting with realoem.com I found out that the unit called HEAD UNIT, BASIC WITH GPS2 supports wifi and preparation for apple carplay.

1. Can I install this part? Or only the HIGH2 (harman evo units?) offer that option?


2. I remember that when I bought the car in 2017 an option to connect and obtain information thru mobile network was available but not anymore. Does this mean that I have an ATM unit? Does this complicate things? Can I simply forget about it and just plug a fakra gps antenna and leave inside the HU area?

3. Does the iDrive controller need to be upgraded as well for the nav mapping or is this retrofit optional?

4. Providing that I will use repair fsc codes bought online, do I care if the replacement HU is newer or older than mine?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time!
1. You can install the basic headunit but you will not get GPS. There are no solutions for fake FSC to Basic headunit. Best idea is to retrofit NBT EVO (Headunit High 2).

2. Probably it has TCB unit so you would need to replace it or just leave with the fact that Connected Drive will not work (get an EVO with Blue GPS plug)

3. If you upgrade to headunit high, yes, replace it to proper one

4. You will not be using repair fsc codes. Repair codes are factory ones. You will be using patched FSC. It doesn't matter if it's newer or older. Make sure it is EVO (Headunit High 2).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
Finn2k1
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW 116d
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Greece

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
1. You can install the basic headunit but you will not get GPS. There are no solutions for fake FSC to Basic headunit. Best idea is to retrofit NBT EVO (Headunit High 2).

2. Probably it has TCB unit so you would need to replace it or just leave with the fact that Connected Drive will not work (get an EVO with Blue GPS plug)

3. If you upgrade to headunit high, yes, replace it to proper one

4. You will not be using repair fsc codes. Repair codes are factory ones. You will be using patched FSC. It doesn't matter if it's newer or older. Make sure it is EVO (Headunit High 2).
Thanks a lot for the reply. I don't care much about connected drive but will GPS signal work through TCB with Evo units ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
kubax86
Lieutenant Colonel
kubax86's Avatar
No_Country
918
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: World

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply. I don't care much about connected drive but will GPS signal work through TCB with Evo units ?
GPS will work only through blue plug or ATM
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 04:26 AM   #6
Finn2k1
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW 116d
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Greece

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
GPS will work only through blue plug or ATM
You are right. Yesterday I successfully retrofited idrive 6 on my 02.2017 f20 lci
and gps is not working (nothing connected to OABR port).

Just for future reference what I did is the following:

1. Removed all the old parts. My car even though it didn't have navigation by default it came with a magneti marelli unit 6840415 that has blue fakra on the back.

2. Installed an extension cable on the HU end of the monitor cable so I could use my old cable with the new HU

3. Did the same with the usb cable but I had to cut a plastic piece that wouldn't let the cable pl plug into the beige fakra.

4. Used the old BT antenna cable

5. Connected the WiFi antenna

6. Connected the main harness.

7. Connected the fm1 and fm2 cables

8. Left the DAB ports untouched since I don't have a DAB antenna installed. Is it hassle free to connect one?

9. Removed the old idrive controller, installed touch ECU and the new idrive controller with the huge circular button which looks great.



The result is that idrive6 works great, carplay works, Android screen mirroring works with Samsung and other phones that support Miracast protocol. I have read here on the f30 section that someone did the same and gps works when you are using a harness extension that has the OABR cable attached to it. Only thing that doesn't work is connected drive services. I ll look into it, otherwise I may go for an ATM emulator with blue fakra and an aftermarket gps antenna since OEM ATM is impossible (?).
Attached Images
    

Last edited by Finn2k1; 10-01-2021 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
piotres
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: E91 LCI 318d + E92 LCI 335is
Join Date: May 2019
Location: POLAND

iTrader: (0)

Hello.

Great work !

Does it need any coding or not ?

I want to do same thing, I have 06.2015 production 118d with exactly same idrive knob as You had with small display, no nav.

Can You write part numbers or all parts which You had used ?

Thanks a lot, that will help me and many other users .

Regards
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
Finn2k1
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW 116d
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Greece

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotres View Post
Hello.

Great work !

Does it need any coding or not ?

I want to do same thing, I have 06.2015 production 118d with exactly same idrive knob as You had with small display, no nav.

Can You write part numbers or all parts which You had used ?

Thanks a lot, that will help me and many other users .

Regards
Retrofitting an NBT EVO pack will require either original FSC codes (costs a lot if you go through the official way), custom FSC codes (varies from 70 to 170 USD) or an emulator (around 30-40 USD). If you dont use any of the above, the HU will go into protection mode and you wont be able to use its features.

Screen
Size:8.8 screen from 3 series
Part nr: 65506822626 (non touch version)

Idrive controller
Controller: 682908203
Touch ECU: 65829347469

Head unit
Just look for Head unit HIGH2, it has a label on top that says NBT EVO HU and ask the seller if it is compatible with f20. Most of them are.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST