BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New potential BMW owner, but need DIYer opinions

08-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
Djvxxs
Rep
Drives: Car

Smile New potential BMW owner, but need DIYer opinions

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it’s not, my apologies....

2021 540i. Should I buy one or not?

Before you answer, consider this. I’m a car guy; I buy cars, work on em, drive em for a lil while and then sell them. I’m a [[read: shade tree]] mechanic capable of doing .. virtually anything on American cars, provided I have the tools available. I know nothing about foreign cars — so little, that I was dumbfounded when I went parts searching on RockAuto for stuff and saw the oil filter that looked like and old school carburetor fuel filter I instantly began to think I might be getting myself into something I won’t be able to handle.

I absolutely love the new 5 series, beautiful car. I’m contemplating buying one (looks like I might have to order one, since my local dealer has like maybe one 5 series on the lot .. anyways I digress.) ... BUT...

My MAIN ISSUE here is the thought of not being able to work on my own car. That is literally the only hang up. & before the inevitable “BMW doesn’t want you to work on the cars” “just take it to the dealer you paid for the service anyway” “if you can’t afford the dealer you can’t afford a BMW” junk replies, it’s not about the MONEY. It’s about the PRINCIPLE. My house is paid for. I have a little money to play around with, and so I mean, you only live once right !?

It’s just that I just can’t fathom the idea of having a vehicle that I’m unable to do any type of routine maintenance to.

I’m reaching out the BMW community to hear how other DIYers handle maintaining their own newer model cars.

fwiw, I’m putting this post on multiple BMW forums to get a broader range of replies. TIA.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

You'll be fine with routine maintenance and performance mods. You'll have a learning curve (which you're already prepared for), but if you understand American cars, you'll be able to figure it out. There's plenty of DIY videos to learn quickly.

However, if you don't plan to keep the car very long, then BMW includes some maintenance with purchase, but you'll find that the intervals don't always match up with what an enthusiast would do. Good luck with your decision!

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 2
M5Rick59842.00
      08-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

[almost] Welcome!

540i has B58 engine which is one of the better - if not the best - inline 6-cylinder engines BMW produced. The good news: if purchased, your vehicle will have plenty of time remaining on factory warranty.

Suggested items to read:

- https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1292652
- https://bmwtuning.co/the-4-most-comm...gine-problems/

Common DIY maintenance items and tools:

- Buy a quality code scanner, such as Foxwell NT510 to examine stored faults

- Oil filter: you find find https://agatools.com/products/b58-oil-catch-tool very helpful. Please read the BMW service bulletin (you will see the URL once the page has been opened)

- Brakes: nothing out of the ordinary

- Valve cover gasket: may have to be replaced at some point

- Electronics: no more complicated than other modern vehicles

I still suggest to find a good BMW shop in your area and develop a good relationship.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Private message BMW DIY Guy on this forum. He can give you a lot of insight on what you can do.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Most simple maintenance work is real easy if you are handy but other things, mainly engine work, is a real pain in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
With the addition of metric tools, you'll be fine. Prior to picking up my M3 last year, I had done a couple of trailer hitches, a bumper cover, a cold air exhaust, and some stereo installations in my previous 20 years. In the last year, I've done pretty much everything myself with instruction here, decent youtube videos, etc. I hired out rod bearings but otherwise have done work on the brakes, suspension, exhaust, coolant system, stereo, motor work, supercharger install, etc. I occasionally goof something up, but if you're that adept at American cars you'll totally be fine.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      08-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Hmm...timing gear is at the rear so everything is a royal PITA on the B58.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17267.00
      08-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'll give my creds...

Been a BMW owner since 1988. Have DIY'd on all my cars since before I could drive. Have owned American cars from MY 1972 thru 2009. Have 4 BMWs: E37, E46, E86 and E90 from a 1997 Z3 to a 2008 Z4; total chassis miles on BMWs is just over 1M miles/personal driven miles @920K.

BMWs are fairly easy to work on. The complicated elements are now turbo systems, fuel injection systems, and the valvetrain. But that is true with any brand these days especially a 2021 MY vehicle. To work on any modern car requires OBDII and/or the manufacturer's proprietary software scan tool.

All American cars have been metric since the 1980s, so unless you are talking 1960s and 1970's American cars as your only DIY experience, then a lot is different. But if your DIY experience is on a 2012 Chevy Malibu, then a BMW is not going to be outside your wheelhouse. If your tool set includes tools to work on fairly recent American cars, then you have a decent tool set to work on BMWs. BMWs of course are metric and use Torx fasteners and Allen fasteners, just like current American cars do. In-depth DIY procedures on BMWs do call for a lot of special tools, but they are easily found on-line. The best thing about DIY'ing on BMWs is realoem.com, where you can find any part number for your car by VIN look up and schematics for the entire vehicle. And the on-line DIY support for most BMWs is pretty damned good. The 3-Series is the most supported model.

You can hack the internet and get BMW scan tools and repair procedures or buy repair manuals from Bentley. Brakes, wheel bearings, cooling systems, are all common to the same stuff any other modern car has.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-14-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
BM-Dollar
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I bought used knowing some of the things that my personal mechanical could fix; between my self buying ebay parts and my mechanic and new set of tires, we fixed the issues previous owner neglected to repair and i've been having a lot of fun with the car. recommend good condition + trusted mechanic
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
Djvxxs
Rep

First and foremost, thanks every body for all the constructive replies !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll give my creds...

Been a BMW owner since 1988. Have DIY'd on all my cars since before I could drive. Have owned American cars from MY 1972 thru 2009. Have 4 BMWs: E37, E46, E86 and E90 from a 1997 Z3 to a 2008 Z4; total chassis miles on BMWs is just over 1M miles/personal driven miles @920K.

BMWs are fairly easy to work on. The complicated elements are now turbo systems, fuel injection systems, and the valvetrain. But that is true with any brand these days especially a 2021 MY vehicle. To work on any modern car requires OBDII and/or the manufacturer's proprietary software scan tool.

All American cars have been metric since the 1980s, so unless you are talking 1960s and 1970's American cars as your only DIY experience, then a lot is different. But if your DIY experience is on a 2012 Chevy Malibu, then a BMW is not going to be outside your wheelhouse. If your tool set includes tools to work on fairly recent American cars, then you have a decent tool set to work on BMWs. BMWs of course are metric and use Torx fasteners and Allen fasteners, just like current American cars do. In-depth DIY procedures on BMWs do call for a lot of special tools, but they are easily found on-line. The best thing about DIY'ing on BMWs is realoem.com, where you can find any part number for your car by VIN look up and schematics for the entire vehicle. And the on-line DIY support for most BMWs is pretty damned good. The 3-Series is the most supported model.

You can hack the internet and get BMW scan tools and repair procedures or buy repair manuals from Bentley. Brakes, wheel bearings, cooling systems, are all common to the same stuff any other modern car has.
Very good information. I’ve wrenched on countless vehicles but my main American car “creds” range from mid 80’s GM B-bodies; Ford Panther platform vehicles, and other Fords with the 4.6L V8; Chevrolet pickups 2011 and newer with the 4.8L V8; Chevrolet sedans with the trans-mounted 3.5(?) (can’t remember now) V6’s; and especially good at 90’s-00’s Jeeps with the inline 4.0L 6 cylinder. I can wrench, and most of the vehicles that I’ve done some serious work on aren’t necessarily antiques; yet not necessarily brand new vehicles with tons of complicated electronics either.

Any recommendations on a BMW scan tool for this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
However, if you don't plan to keep the car very long, then BMW includes some maintenance with purchase, but you'll find that the intervals don't always match up with what an enthusiast would do. Good luck with your decision!
This will definitely be a long term purchase. I’ve been reading about BMW’s suggested maintenance intervals... not a fan lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Private message BMW DIY Guy on this forum. He can give you a lot of insight on what you can do.
Thanks for the plug !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Most simple maintenance work is real easy if you are handy but other things, mainly engine work, is a real pain in the rear.
Yikes. When you say engine work, are you referring more to routine plugs, coils, injectors, etc... or more about valve covers, timing chains, etc? (Or both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
With the addition of metric tools, you'll be fine. Prior to picking up my M3 last year, I had done a couple of trailer hitches, a bumper cover, a cold air exhaust, and some stereo installations in my previous 20 years. In the last year, I've done pretty much everything myself with instruction here, decent youtube videos, etc. I hired out rod bearings but otherwise have done work on the brakes, suspension, exhaust, coolant system, stereo, motor work, supercharger install, etc. I occasionally goof something up, but if you're that adept at American cars you'll totally be fine.
Dang man, sounds like buying a BMW made you become a mechanic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Hmm...timing gear is at the rear so everything is a royal PITA on the B58.
Yikes.

At any rate, I’m definitely leaning towards the purchase. Thanks everybody for the replies and feel free to add on any information or recommended sites and products !!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #11
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
You can do it. Buy the 5er.

Open up your search window large enough, be willing to travel to buy a car, and you will find one. Forget the local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #12
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Don’t bother with code scanners, jsut get an old $35 dell or hp laptop, amd get yourself set up with the factory diagnostic tools, eSYS, etc.

working on other German car brands like VAG, Japanese cars, and yes, American cars is such a pain the anus because they don’t have the tools or support online, Plus parts support and aftermarket parts availability that bmws do.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
You can do it. Buy the 5er.

Open up your search window large enough, be willing to travel to buy a car, and you will find one. Forget the local dealer.
This....travel for what you want. Make it a fun road trip. My region sucks for used cars. I do this even for great parts.
Appreciate 1
chassis6527.00
      08-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #14
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
A custom order will generally take 8-weeks and you'll get a 2022. Best way to get what you want, and only what you want. 5-series have been in short supply for over a year as Americans continue to show their love for SUVs. I've had to ship them half-way across the country for people in a hurry, but most are patient enough to wait and order exactly what they want. Be sure to order the Multi-Contour Seat option. You won't regret it and it's very inexpensive. As a DIY guy you may be disappointed with the spark plug interval but it'll likely go 60k to 100k without any need for them. Remember BMW pays for all scheduled maintenance for the first 3-years or 36,000 miles, but that's likely only a couple of oil changes. Warranty to cover any repairs is still 4-years/50,000 miles. I've owned four different generations of 5-series cars and always find the Five is the best of what BMW offers. Quality and parts from a 7-series at a lower price and still built for a model with pricing extending to nearly $150,000. If you've already driven one and liked it, go for it. Where you live I might recommend the rear-wheel-drive version simply because I prefer the ride and handling over the xDrive. Have you driven both?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
Djvxxs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Don’t bother with code scanners, jsut get an old $35 dell or hp laptop, amd get yourself set up with the factory diagnostic tools, eSYS, etc.
Noted, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
A custom order will generally take 8-weeks and you'll get a 2022. Best way to get what you want, and only what you want. 5-series have been in short supply for over a year as Americans continue to show their love for SUVs. I've had to ship them half-way across the country for people in a hurry, but most are patient enough to wait and order exactly what they want. Be sure to order the Multi-Contour Seat option. You won't regret it and it's very inexpensive. As a DIY guy you may be disappointed with the spark plug interval but it'll likely go 60k to 100k without any need for them. Remember BMW pays for all scheduled maintenance for the first 3-years or 36,000 miles, but that's likely only a couple of oil changes. Warranty to cover any repairs is still 4-years/50,000 miles. I've owned four different generations of 5-series cars and always find the Five is the best of what BMW offers. Quality and parts from a 7-series at a lower price and still built for a model with pricing extending to nearly $150,000. If you've already driven one and liked it, go for it. Where you live I might recommend the rear-wheel-drive version simply because I prefer the ride and handling over the xDrive. Have you driven both?
I’m basically the same in that I want what I want, now; but I’m willing to wait to get exactly what I want. I waited about 9 weeks for my F250 to come in and it was well worth the wait.

I agree the 5 series seems to be the best of what’s offered. I like the 7 series but I’ve already got a fleet of large vehicles and don’t want to add a sedan as ginormous. Honestly, I haven’t driven one at all. It’s not uncommon for me to buy vehicles I like off of looks alone in fact the aforementioned F250 was bought without me ever driving a newer gen Ford truck. I’m definitely leaning towards the RWD option. My truck is a 4x4 so for any situation where I might need 4 wheels the BMW would not be my go-to in that case. Plus, it does not snow here so there’s no need for AWD/ xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Look for a msport, it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #17
Djvxxs
Rep

There really isn’t anything to look for around here, to be honest. I want a brand new car, not a used one. There is only one BMW dealer in my area and they have nothing but SUV’s. I have no problem waiting for exactly what I want.

Here are the specs on my custom build that I will hand over to the dealer:

2022 540i
M Sport package
Alpine White
19” M Y-Spoke Jet Black Wheels
Ivory White Napa Leather Seats
Grey Poplar Wood
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Luxury Seating Package
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers (yes yes, poser I know; but they look so cool I need them!)

I’m lusting over the computer generated images, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel with it right in front of me!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      08-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvxxs View Post

2022 540i
M Sport package
Alpine White
Grey Poplar Wood
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Luxury Seating Package
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers (yes yes, poser I know; but they look so cool I need them!)

I’m lusting over the computer generated images, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel with it right in front of me!
Very close to the car I had to ship from Kansas for a customer just three months ago. Just order it! Take Performance Center Delivery and pick up your car in South Carolina and enjoy the on-track experience plus motel and food for two at no cost to you other than getting to SC. Then enjoy the ride home. That also makes it easy to use any dealership you want since you're picking it up from BMW, not the dealership. It will make it that much more special for you. My friends at the Performance Center make it an experience you'll not soon forget!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      08-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
First and foremost, thanks every body for all the constructive replies !

Very good information. I’ve wrenched on countless vehicles but my main American car “creds” range from mid 80’s GM B-bodies; Ford Panther platform vehicles, and other Fords with the 4.6L V8; Chevrolet pickups 2011 and newer with the 4.8L V8; Chevrolet sedans with the trans-mounted 3.5(?) (can’t remember now) V6’s; and especially good at 90’s-00’s Jeeps with the inline 4.0L 6 cylinder. I can wrench, and most of the vehicles that I’ve done some serious work on aren’t necessarily antiques; yet not necessarily brand new vehicles with tons of complicated electronics either.

Any recommendations on a BMW scan tool for this car?
I have a 2009 Hummer H3T with the 5.3L small block. It's no difference working on that vs. the same era BMW.

Check the subforum on scan tools. There is far better info on there than I can provide you here. I use two systems, Foxwell and Bavarian Tech.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
There really isn’t anything to look for around here, to be honest. I want a brand new car, not a used one. There is only one BMW dealer in my area and they have nothing but SUV’s. I have no problem waiting for exactly what I want.

2022 540i
M Sport package
Alpine White
Grey Poplar Wood
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Luxury Seating Package

Sounds like a very nice spec in white on white. I just built one to see the options and it seems leather is no longer standard on the 5er, base interior is sensatec. Napa is nice leather.

I always thought the 5er was an awkward inbetween and felt that I'd rather have a 3 or a 7. Until I bought one 6 years ago and now I've had 4 more since.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0