BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Traction Control On or Off

08-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
dkmiller3356
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Traction Control On or Off

Sorry if this has been discussed to death - I did a search and read some threads but didn't quite get it...

I just got my first BMW - and X4. There is a button that says traction off and when I push it the "TRACTION" light comes on the dash. The car then sends a message that DSC stabilization and driver assistance is off.

So... do I use traction or not? If so under what conditions?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmiller3356 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed to death - I did a search and read some threads but didn't quite get it...

I just got my first BMW - and X4. There is a button that says traction off and when I push it the "TRACTION" light comes on the dash. The car then sends a message that DSC stabilization and driver assistance is off.

So... do I use traction or not? If so under what conditions?

Thanks
It should be on by default. No reason to turn it off generally. Sometimes in snow or ice when you're stuck, wheel swing fro turning it off can help.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
Fuzzuki
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Porsche Boxster Honda

Even with it on the car is allowed to drift a fair amount.
As soon as the thought enters your head to correct for drift, it takes over and does it for you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:32 AM   #4
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

There are three settings for the DSC (on, partially on, off). By pressing the DSC button once you switch to partially on. By pressing the button for 3-5 seconds, it will turn it off.

It only makes sense to turn it off if you would like use launch control or take off faster at the light. With DSC on the car reduces the torque on the wheels at start, thus you can experience a lag in the acceleration.

This video is in German, but they illustrate the difference in acceleration with/without DSC (skip to circa 5 mins):
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
Teddy_Riley
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimark View Post
There are three settings for the DSC (on, partially on, off). By pressing the DSC button once you switch to partially on. By pressing the button for 3-5 seconds, it will turn it off.

It only makes sense to turn it off if you would like use launch control or take off faster at the light. With DSC on the car reduces the torque on the wheels at start, thus you can experience a lag in the acceleration.

This video is in German, but they illustrate the difference in acceleration with/without DSC (skip to circa 5 mins):
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:40 AM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Dtc button,
Normal driving leave it on, the car says “I got you bro, nothing to worry about”
Push it once, “ car says “ok, you can have a bit of fun but I will keep you generally safe”
Push and hold, car is like “ ok, you are on your own, please don’t kill me!”
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

I have tried the DSC on/off functions at a professional driver training on wet synthetic raisin at low speeds and even with DSC on and in Comfort mode the Xdrive left room for drifting in the corners (at around 20-30 kmh) instead of keeping the car on the ideal curve.

At the skid pad (wet synthetic raisin surface, going 50 kmh) the car was hard to steer back to straight line even with DSC on. Felt like a rear wheel drive car. Regular front wheel drive cars easily passed the test without any drama.

Overall I think the RWD biased Xdrive and the sporty DSC is fun in dry weather, but requires more attention and experience from the driver in rain/snow and very good tires. Not as safe as Audi's mechanical Quattro system.
Appreciate 0