BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Is the competition worth the $9,000 over ?

08-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #23
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn-BMW View Post
The law says the dealer has to prove that a modification caused the failure. Obviously, at some point, if there’s too many modifications BMW isn’t going to be responsible. Small things like a tune, exhaust, and intake aren’t going to add so much horsepower to cause a problem.
How is tuning a "small" mod? You are creating excessive heat at high RPM and exponentially increasing wear and tear. And why on earth should someone spend $80k on a M3 when they can produce similar power with a $60k M340 +$2k mods, AND hang on to their manufacturer warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #24
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, it covers all warranties, not just for cars. It might take a while to get through it all.
Actually, the Act is quite short. 12 sections. 15 USC Sections 2301-12. I just read it. It says nothing of the sort. I'd have been surprised if it did. Federal statues seldom get into those sorts of details. While is it is possible the underlying regulations say that, the principle sounds more like something that would arise in case law interpreting the regulations or statue. But since you were the one telling everybody what the law says, and that we should know the law, and that you had even provided a copy to a dealer, I figured I'd ask for the cite, suspecting you could not provide it. You couldn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #25
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
How is tuning a "small" mod? You are creating excessive heat at high RPM and exponentially increasing wear and tear.
Exactly and BMW has for some time flagged cars and voided the powertrain warranty when tunes (or past evidence) of tunes were detected. With the current versions of ISTA, when they plug your car in to scan for faults, it will auto detect tunes and flag your car even if you flashed back to stock.

Totally legal, MMWR has nothing to do with that. Good luck calling your lawyers and spending more money than the car is worth, you will lose.

Aftermarket parts in the MMWR means you can go down to the local auto parts store and use a non-BMW oil filter, etc. Not fundamentally change the firmware of the engine management system.

BMW NA has violated the MMWR in other circumstances, specifically telling MINI owners they had to use MINI parts and MINI service centers:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...-north-america
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Magnuson-Moss is not some secret cheat code phrase that automatically get’s BMW to warranty whatever you want. If you have a tune it’s not like your suspension warranty goes out the window, but you should fully expect your power train warranty will.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #27
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
How is tuning a "small" mod? You are creating excessive heat at high RPM and exponentially increasing wear and tear. And why on earth should someone spend $80k on a M3 when they can produce similar power with a $60k M340 +$2k mods, AND hang on to their manufacturer warranty?
Go argue with someone else. I’m just telling you what I’ve experienced and how I’ve got past that problem. Go do your own research.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #28
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
Quote:
Go argue with someone else. I’m just telling you what I’ve experienced and how I’ve got past that problem. Go do your own research.
Got past that problem? Pretty sure people like you are the problem. What makes you entitled? It's BMW's right to void your warranty. If you don't agree with their policies then don't buy into BMW. You have a unrealistic immature attitude.

Juice up your ride, blow it up, then lawyer up and threaten BMW. Cool
Appreciate 1
Steelguin651.00
      08-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
brah why do you get offended? You are here giving people "advice", telling them BMW will honor their warranty even if they tune it ...! Really?!

Why are even here if you don't want to hear counter arguments? This is a messageboard not a personal blog.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #30
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
brah why do you get offended? You are here giving people "advice", telling them BMW will honor their warranty even if they tune it ...! Really?!

Why are even here if you don't want to hear counter arguments? This is a messageboard not a personal blog.
Where did I say I was offended? And yes, I’ve personally done it myself. And yes, I am giving people advice. Too many people get screwed by dealerships because the dealerships won’t follow the laws.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #31
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Where did I say I was offended? And yes, I’ve personally done it myself. And yes, I am giving people advice. Too many people get screwed by dealerships because the dealerships won’t follow the laws.
The law you're sighting is vague and if YOU want to "lawyer up" that's on you to pay the price. People have thrown the Magnuson-Moss Act around in car forums for years. It's all relevant to what you've done to the vehicle but in today's cars if you modify the heart (ECU) BMW or any other manufacturer is in the right to deny your warranty.

Last edited by BMWBear; 08-13-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #32
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

I just wanted those sweet M seatbelts lol
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #33
jab23
First Lieutenant