BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Adaptive LED coding LHD to RHD

08-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
JLX
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Adaptive LED coding LHD to RHD

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've had a look through the forums and couldn't find anything definitive.

I live in a RHD country, bought an extra set of adaptive LED headlights. Supplier sent me a set of headlights which I'm 99% sure are LHD:

1)"LL" stickers (as opposed to "RL")

2) the Beam Shape looks like __/--- rather than --\__

3) I transferred my stock headlight control modules to the new set and the beams are pointing the wrong direction.

Supplier insists that that internally, there are no mechanical differences between RHD and LHD lights. In response to me pointing out that there are and that BMW assigns different part #s to RHD and LHD, their response is that "there isn't any difference hardware difference between the two sets of part numbers, they must be different because they are pre-coded differently out of factory).

RHD part numbers - 63117414147 and 63117414148
LHD part numbers - 63117414145 and 63117414146

So, here I am on a wild goose chase trying to exhaust every coding possibility so that I can pin the supplier for them messing up my order. I would appreciate any assistance in helping me get compensated. I've asked them for some guidance, and the only two things they've said are:

1) That I go into the dealership for a headlight 'recalibration' which I think is bullshit. As far as I know, dealers just use ITSA to software update your car (which effectively is reapplying the VO your car already came with).

2) They copy and pasted extracts from this forum post, I'm not sure if it's relevant: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24763316 (OP has xenons and is concerned with high beam assist)

The way I see it, there are two distinct issues (in relation to low beam, not overly concerned with high beam assist atm)

1) Beam Projection Angle

As the headlights are LHD rather than RHD, the beams are pointing the wrong direction, pointing at the 2'oclock position (towards oncoming traffic) rather than the 10o'clock position which would the sidewalk in my country.

Unless the LHD and RHD headlights have different default low beam motor starting positions, this should be should be solvable via coding? Please let me know if incorrect.

2) Beam Shape

I think this is where the mechanical difference is. The Beam shape is currently:

___/----- and it should be ------\____ in RHD countries.

I think the Beam Shape is a lost cause. Please let me know if I'm correct/wrong.

I have both ESYS and ITSA+ available and some very patient friends who know how to work these two platforms. Any points to what lines of code to look out for would be great. I don't think that'll fix anything.

Thanks in advance all!
      09-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Any updates in this one?

The fact that they stated there is no mechanical difference between LL and RL are ambiguous..

Since i think it's more hardware related issue rather than software or calibration or precoded thingy
      09-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

What does the manual say about "Left-hand/right-hand traffic" adjustment? There must be something like in the posted manual (page 87). Yes, the LHD/RHD part numbers are different. This should be why it only says "Push the lever upwards." for Xenon headlights adjustment. (Halogen headlights require light benders, different part numbers for LHD/RHD, obviously.) Addressing a BMW Service is still a very valid advice after all, I suppose.
Appreciate 0