BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Keep calm and protect your knees!

08-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
bimmermasterpieces
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

Keep calm and protect your knees!

Does your knee bother you in your 1 series? We have a solution. Also for 2 and M2 series.

On the side of the centre console, in the M2 of BMW, a knee rest (lateral knee side) was installed (see photo), in order to support the knee during long journeys and while taking sharp turns. However, given the positioning and the short length, this knee rest offers support exclusively to very short people driving! Therefore, we have significantly increased the length, making the knee rest functional for other drivers as well. For more comfort we put 50% extra foam rubber into our Knee-rest.

http://www.bimmermasterpieces.com/sc...b-917574843c37

Last edited by bimmermasterpieces; 08-30-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

All M Sport cars have a knee support as well. I am not all that short (189 cm, and mostly legs), but the stock knee pad fits me perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
bimmermasterpieces
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Dear Mr. Ovekam

A dutch boy ( normal length ) of 12 years and a dutch girl ( normal length )of 13 years were touching with the lateral side of their Knees exactly THE ORIGINAL knee-rest...........

We are very,very interested in a picture with you behind the steeringwheel and with your knee touching the ORIGINAL KNEE-REST
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I am not all that short (189 cm, and mostly legs).
Wow. Really? Anything like this (below)? (I mean it seems quite unusual for a man to have really long legs, or may be I just never notice. )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermasterpieces View Post
A dutch boy ( normal length ) of 12 years and a dutch girl ( normal length )of 13 years were touching with the lateral side of their Knees exactly THE ORIGINAL knee-rest...........

We are very,very interested in a picture with you behind the steeringwheel and with your knee touching the ORIGINAL KNEE-REST
Not a usual legal age for a driver. (Adult examples would suit the subject better.)

Not to ruin your business, really, but I never seem to touch my knee pad at all - I might be too short compared to a "normal" Dutch teenager or it could be because I reasonably mind spreading my (and others' when sitting next to in an airplane ) knees wide... Anyway resting the shin instead of the knee exactly could be sufficiently safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I probably have longer legs than that woman, but you wouldn't notice, because I don't dress like that! :-)

My knee is of course not in contact with the knee rest, as it is more in line with the gear lever. My leg is resting against the knee rest, thus supporting the knee, and allowing the gear lever to go into first gear without hitting my knee. If I don't spread my legs, my knees would interfere with the steering wheel.

(I drove a Lotus Elise where I got the knee jammed between the steering wheel and the gear lever in first gear. Had to select second gear to steer.)

Name:  Knepute_s.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  275.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
bimmermasterpieces
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I probably have longer legs than that woman, but you wouldn't notice, because I don't dress like that! :-)

My knee is of course not in contact with the knee rest, as it is more in line with the gear lever. My leg is resting against the knee rest, thus supporting the knee, and allowing the gear lever to go into first gear without hitting my knee. If I don't spread my legs, my knees would interfere with the steering wheel.

(I drove a Lotus Elise where I got the knee jammed between the steering wheel and the gear lever in first gear. Had to select second gear to steer.)

Attachment 1683642
Dear Mr.Overkam

Thank you very much for sending this picture!

This make the following clear:

- Your knee is almost at an angle of 90 degrees !!!! This is very unusual for
young and middle-age drivers of sporty cars like the BMW 1&2 Serie. This
what people call - the Van and Truckdriver-position-

- You are using the knee-rest as a SHINBONE-REST.

- The distance between hip and knee is much shorter than the distance
between hip and the half-shinebone and because of this is the effect
of the original knee-rest in curves and on long journeys very slight!

Kind regards

Jan Wiebenga
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

My driving position is probably somewhat affected by 20+ years of track driving, so you could say I always use the track driving position. The seat is lowered as far as possible, and the back of the seat is rather steep. With the shoulders firmly pressed against the seat, you should be able to fold your wrists over the top of the steering wheel.

This is how most racing and rally drivers sit in their cars to have maximum control. Maybe the sporty BMWs are more suited to this kind of driving position than the laidback position often seen among rookie drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Exclamation On driving position.

From my experience: sitting too far from the controls is extremely unhealthy! "Comfortably" straight legs make you overreach for the steering wheel (unless you are of monkey build, perhaps ) as the steering column length adjustment (even if present) comes just not enough (in my F21 in particular). That implies upper body/back strain and is EXTREMELY bad for the posture!

I have very much improved my driving comfort and overall well-being by (gradually ) moving MUCH closer to the controls in my current BMW F21 car than I sat initially bringing in my old terrible mistakes.

Besides dumb (roofless racing car drivers have to lie down flat for aerodynamics reasons inexistent in regular cars, I believe) and faulty "sporty" ambitions there are reasonable recommendations from the car/seat manufacturers how to use their products correctly. You don't have to ruin your health and life to learn from experience only - there are handy alternative sources.

For those minding car/truck sitting difference or just looking for proper seat adjustment tips: https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/videos.html
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Any chance of doing one for the f30. I've been looking for one in my rhd 340i. The plastic bumping against my left knee is actually quite annoying.

I've looked at the retrofit but seems like the trim needs to be removed etc.

Just want a simple but elegant solution.
Appreciate 0