BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > general competence and knowledge among dealers

05-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

general competence and knowledge among dealers

Just curious how you guys would rate your dealers and/or bmw in general when it comes to competence and ability to provide answers to whatever questions you have about your car and functions?

Reading some of the threads here and also taking personal experience into account I can't help but to wonder why the knowledge among dealers sometimse seems so low?

seems like alot of times we have to seek knowledge here rather than at the dealer, especially when it comes to details about optional equipment and what they do, not to mention retrofits (alpine stereo, M-performance parts) where "uhh, that's not available" or "uhh what partnr is it?" seems common. That puts me off from doing any upgrade.

I bet alot of us enthusiasts on this forum for example could put a suit on and a bmw-hat and go into any dealer and be there for a day doing a brilliant job answering pretty much any question that would come up during the day. Why is it that the actual ppl working there can't do it? doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, sales-people are sales-people, usually clueless no matter what type of business they are in?!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

One of the most frustrating things ever is to research something you are going to buy, then go speak to the salesman, and find that you know more about the product then they do. It doesn’t matter what it is, a car, a computer, a TV, a house.

I love my BMWs and I’m pretty sure as far as knowledge goes, I could walk into most dealerships and tell a salesman something he didn't know about the car he's selling.
The salesman is trained and has specific knowledge that they think sells the cars to 90% of punters. We enthusiasts probably make up that last 10%, and we're probably going to buy the cars anyway.

On the other hand, the part of the job I wouldn't be good as is the pressure sales, and frankly dishonest psychological tactics that are played.

If there was a job for just talking and being enthusiastic and knowledgable about BMWs, i'd be great at it, just ask my friends who i bore down the pub on a Friday talking about my carl lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

I´m convinced that all of us here in the forum (and in the german versions) are the real experts!

At least I feel like one in contacts with my dealer and garage........

Last edited by fullkoll; 05-15-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Sales people are indeed sales people- and a good one could sell a written off car as a 'winner' for a track day.

Generally, deep knowledge about a subject isnt what gets you sales- its knowing how to sell something. And sometimes making white lies- like 'it'll be here in 6 weeks' and 'yea, i'm sure it does that'

My dealer couldn't answer half the questions i had about the car-he didnt really know anything about the iDrive system, and admitted that he hadn't even figured out how to turn on his voice sat nav in his new F30. He also told me it would be here in 6 weeks, which was wrong.

At the end of the day, BMWs sell themselves- all they need to do is convince those of us who aren't sure about buying, to buy.

Retrofits / aftersales doesnt make them that much money- because during the MW, you'll probably more than likely take it to that dealer to get it services.

It's business i'm afraid. And while i will say that my sale rep isn't fantastic on the knowledge, he was great with the figures, and very knowledgable when it came to getting the personal plate off my part-ex and onto the new car in optimal time; and he does at least email me back, most of the time.

Things could have been better- and i havent even taken delivery yet
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
i agree with the above. I had an interesting experience a while back when I wanted to buy a new 6 series. the dealer in Guildford had the car I wanted. the salesman asked which bank I worked with, then said they didn't have an agreement with that bank, and practically threw me out! So I went to my local dealer, gave them the exact spec, and when they got the vehicle from Guildford, I bought it off them. Despite working for a particular bank, I wasn't buying it under any car scheme...that was just such a wrong assumption!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
hillbillybear
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue M sport.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick BMW View Post
i agree with the above. I had an interesting experience a while back when I wanted to buy a new 6 series. the dealer in Guildford had the car I wanted. the salesman asked which bank I worked with, then said they didn't have an agreement with that bank, and practically threw me out! So I went to my local dealer, gave them the exact spec, and when they got the vehicle from Guildford, I bought it off them. Despite working for a particular bank, I wasn't buying it under any car scheme...that was just such a wrong assumption!
Hope you let Guildford dealer know you got their car from a different dealer and why.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Mark189
Member of Parliament
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport

Sales people are just that, they could sell yoghurt or noodles, aswell as cars, aeroplanes, or boats. Too much knowledge gets in the way... :-) Same in every business I've worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
AlexP
Rep
Drives: not yet... F20 116iA M Sport

I can agree with everybody on this topic!

Early of March, I went to BMW Brussels (as I am currently living in Brussels...), Saturday afternoon. I didn't had specific questions, but salesman was quite ok. A few days later I called him to arrange a test drive for a 116i (I wanted it to be automatic, but here in Belgium they have only Diesel...) He found me a 116i, ok manual speed. I had to go to another dealer, suburbs of Brussels. Salesman was quite ok also.

About one month later, mid April, I am in holidays, in Cyprus. As I will export the car in Cyprus at the end, and as in Cyprus they don't like to have the prices on their website... I had to go to the dealer
First BMW dealer: salesman who thinks he knows everything, that BMW are the best cars in the world, and that if you enter you will buy, necessarily
I was still hesitating between 116i and 118i, and as everybody knows, that's the same 1,6L engine. I said him "I am also interested by the 118i as it is a 1,6L", salesman "no 118i isn't 1,6L, only 116i" (and in Cyprus there is a tax about 5 to 6000€ for 1650 to 2250cm3, instead of maximum 600€ for less thant 1650cm3... so there is a big difference!
Xenons: "when the lamp will burn, you will have to change complete headlight, and cost is about 1700€". M Sport? doesn't exist yet, the sooner early 2013 (price for M Sport was in the pricelist by the way...)
There were also quite a lot of other "mistakes" And pushing me to take a in-stock car despite the fact that they had pretty not any extras I wanted...
And as I had only a few days, and he had to call me for a test drive (116i automatic but they only have this model in Cyprus ) and he didn't, another day when I had free time I went to the bigger BMW in Cyprus. Here salesman was very good, and not trying to sell me at any cost an in-stock car.

I went also to Peugeot, for the RCZ. First in Cyprus: "xenons?? useless, halogens are very good, everybody take halogens because they are satisfied with" (they don't even test drive the car at night )
1 week ago, Peugeot here in Brussels, salesman in his 50s: Petrol or Diesel, saying I prefer Petrol engine: "it's better to take Diesel, and look, we only have Diesel, so that's the proof that Diesel is better" ... even on RCZ! Equipment: he didn't even said me what is the equipment of the car, or said me what are the available extras, and asked me which extras I wanted to add
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP
I can agree with everybody on this topic!

Early of March, I went to BMW Brussels (as I am currently living in Brussels...), Saturday afternoon. I didn't had specific questions, but salesman was quite ok. A few days later I called him to arrange a test drive for a 116i (I wanted it to be automatic, but here in Belgium they have only Diesel...) He found me a 116i, ok manual speed. I had to go to another dealer, suburbs of Brussels. Salesman was quite ok also.

About one month later, mid April, I am in holidays, in Cyprus. As I will export the car in Cyprus at the end, and as in Cyprus they don't like to have the prices on their website... I had to go to the dealer
First BMW dealer: salesman who thinks he knows everything, that BMW are the best cars in the world, and that if you enter you will buy, necessarily
I was still hesitating between 116i and 118i, and as everybody knows, that's the same 1,6L engine. I said him "I am also interested by the 118i as it is a 1,6L", salesman "no 118i isn't 1,6L, only 116i" (and in Cyprus there is a tax about 5 to 6000€ for 1650 to 2250cm3, instead of maximum 600€ for less thant 1650cm3... so there is a big difference!
Xenons: "when the lamp will burn, you will have to change complete headlight, and cost is about 1700€". M Sport? doesn't exist yet, the sooner early 2013 (price for M Sport was in the pricelist by the way...)
There were also quite a lot of other "mistakes" And pushing me to take a in-stock car despite the fact that they had pretty not any extras I wanted...
And as I had only a few days, and he had to call me for a test drive (116i automatic but they only have this model in Cyprus ) and he didn't, another day when I had free time I went to the bigger BMW in Cyprus. Here salesman was very good, and not trying to sell me at any cost an in-stock car.

I went also to Peugeot, for the RCZ. First in Cyprus: "xenons?? useless, halogens are very good, everybody take halogens because they are satisfied with" (they don't even test drive the car at night )
1 week ago, Peugeot here in Brussels, salesman in his 50s: Petrol or Diesel, saying I prefer Petrol engine: "it's better to take Diesel, and look, we only have Diesel, so that's the proof that Diesel is better" ... even on RCZ! Equipment: he didn't even said me what is the equipment of the car, or said me what are the available extras, and asked me which extras I wanted to add
I have to add- I tried to buy the m sport estoril my dealer had in stockc and he told me not to buy it because buying new would be a better finance deal for me- so kudos to BMW Knights north for that!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
bit pissed with my dealer- i emailed this morning:

Me:
Quote:
Hey,

Is the car still in transit? I have no idea how long this part takes- but it feels like it should have hit the UK by now.

Cheers,
Tom
Dealer:
Quote:
Will know more when car is consigned which will confirm it is in the country.
Me:
Quote:
Does this usually take a particular amount of time, or is it varied?
Dealer:
Quote:
Very varied will just have to wait!!!!!
I think, considering how much money i'm spending, there wouldn't be a problem with me asking for this kind of information :|
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol, reading between the lines "Very varied will just have to wait!!!!!" translates as "FFS mate, i dont f'kin know, it gets here when it gets here ok?"
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982 View Post
Lol, reading between the lines "Very varied will just have to wait!!!!!" translates as "FFS mate, i dont f'kin know, it gets here when it gets here ok?"
lol yea- i dont trust that he will provide me with updates, and that I have to poke him every now and then to check. He has to send off the forms for plate transfer as soon as its consigned.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
ReadingFC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post

Me:

Dealer:

Me:

Dealer:

I think, considering how much money i'm spending, there wouldn't be a problem with me asking for this kind of information :|

Dealer is talking crap, he can check the exact status and location of the vehicle by using the IVS ''Comm" number which will be a seven digit number. From production line to your front drive should be about three weeks tops.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingFC
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post

Me:

Dealer:

Me:

Dealer:

Dealer is talking crap, he can check the exact status and location of the vehicle by using the IVS ''Comm" number which will be a seven digit number. From production line to your front drive should be about three weeks tops.
I think he cannot track whiles it's
On the ship... Once it's In the country he can.

Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's on the ship.... In the hands of pirates...... Arrrrr jim lad, got me an estoril blue m sport, an that dealer can ne track is here.... Arrrrr. Or so I imagine. Ahem
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982
It's on the ship.... In the hands of pirates...... Arrrrr jim lad, got me an estoril blue m sport, an that dealer can ne track is here.... Arrrrr. Or so I imagine. Ahem
L.O.L.!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
Johnnyr
England
Rep
Drives: F20 116D Sport (on it's way)

Sorry chaps,don't buy in to beating the salesman up chat. Having been one myself, not everything is black and white, yes there are some very poor ones but they get beaten up by us coming in with quotes from 500 miles away asking to better them and much more
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

My experience...

My experince: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678768
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #19
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
Sorry chaps,don't buy in to beating the salesman up chat. Having been one myself, not everything is black and white, yes there are some very poor ones but they get beaten up by us coming in with quotes from 500 miles away asking to better them and much more
I agree with you on its not always black and white- however my dealer specifically didnt have enough knowledge of the car he was selling- i say this because if he knew his beans, i would have added some extras- not out of spite, but because he didnt know what the features did- and upon finding out from here, i would have picked them.

that translates as lost monies for the dealer.

also, the dealer should always be respectful and willing to help when the customer communicates- as i trust you were.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Johnnyr
England
Rep
Drives: F20 116D Sport (on it's way)

My view was look after one person properly and they would recommend you to their friends and family but it's a different business now and I was selling Datsun and we sold out for the year in August. Oh happy days!!
Appreciate 0