BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Cruise control going downhill

01-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Cruise control going downhill

Our F20 has manual transmission and dynamic cruise control. If I go downhill, and select a gear that just keeps the speed constant, the fuel consumption gauge shows zero. Fuel is cut, and the engine is just pumping air to spend the energy from the rear wheels.

If I engage the cruise control at this speed, the car is still going downhill at the same speed, but now the fuel consumption gauge is showing something like 5 L/100 km. That means the car is braking and applying throttle at the same time. Seems like a very stupid algorithm to me.

It also confirms my experience that if you want to keep the fuel consumption low, you need to stay off the cruise control. It also applies to much power going over crests, and brakes too much at the bottom of the hills.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Oh noes, now I have to find a hill and test myself

But I often disable cruise going downhill anyway; why waste energy by braking when I don't mind going 10-20 kph over the limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
tobster57
Rep
Drives: i3

I've never noticed this. I'm off to find a hill to coast down in cruise control
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
GeorgeBMR
Rep
Drives: VW

First world problems
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Our F20 has manual transmission and dynamic cruise control. If I go downhill, and select a gear that just keeps the speed constant, the fuel consumption gauge shows zero. Fuel is cut, and the engine is just pumping air to spend the energy from the rear wheels.

If I engage the cruise control at this speed, the car is still going downhill at the same speed, but now the fuel consumption gauge is showing something like 5 L/100 km. That means the car is braking and applying throttle at the same time. Seems like a very stupid algorithm to me.

It also confirms my experience that if you want to keep the fuel consumption low, you need to stay off the cruise control. It also applies to much power going over crests, and brakes too much at the bottom of the hills.
I noticed that in the first months of driving the car. It is because cruise control has a brake function. It is true that using cruise is not optimum or fuel consumption so I never used it.

In the past cruise ctrl did not have brake function. My old VW was like that.
Appreciate 0