BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Thinking out loud, possible Lemon case

03-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Thinking out loud, possible Lemon case

So got the car back today and they "fixed" the pull right - rigged is more like it, see this thread for context, not going to rehash it all here - and now it seems we're running out of options. I have a call into my NA Rep and my SA said they've done all the can do to fix it, so it's looking like it may be a Lemon case

So my ask is to anyone who has Lemon'd a car. What is the process? How long does it take? What happens to the equity you have in the car?

Is it possible to just swap to a car that's in dealer inventory if priced similarly?

There's this one I looked at, is almost identical to mine, just adds the LED package. Wondering if I could just go step into it if we do end up going down the Lemon path?

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
So got the car back today and they "fixed" the pull right - rigged is more like it, see this thread for context, not going to rehash it all here - and now it seems we're running out of options. I have a call into my NA Rep and my SA said they've done all the can do to fix it, so it's looking like it may be a Lemon case

So my ask is to anyone who has Lemon'd a car. What is the process? How long does it take? What happens to the equity you have in the car?

Is it possible to just swap to a car that's in dealer inventory if priced similarly?

There's this one I looked at, is almost identical to mine, just adds the LED package. Wondering if I could just go step into it if we do end up going down the Lemon path?

pulling to the right when you are holding the steering wheel firmly is a problem. If you mean when you let go off the steering wheel it pulls to the right, that's normal in M4s/M3s and according to the dealership in Dubai a lot of the new BMWs do that.

Like on my old 2005 330Ci, if I let go off the steering wheel in a perfectly straight road, not that you should drive that way by the way, it would go straight......

What the dealership senior tech told me, "ummm sir, you are not supposed to let go off the steering wheel while driving your car " so I felt a bit stupid and just ignored the issue.

The car does go straight though when you hold the steering wheel straight
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
swmrdrn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post

Back in 2013 I lemon lawed my 135i after the Vanos bolts broke 3 times in about 3 months. If you go to my profile and click on past posts I recall documenting it on the forums. Honestly, once the SA gave me the contact at BMW it went smoothly and quickly. They were truly a joy to work with. It couldn't have been easier. Keep in mind that internal engine parts breaking and falling past the timing chain and into the sump is sorta a big deal. And very hard for a manufacturer to say "they all are like that"... actually, a bunch of those N55's were like that but I digress.

One thing that I did learn is that they go looking for you online and read everything that you have ever posted about your car. Fortunately, I way past the age of modifying my car so it wasn't an issue. How do I know this? Why BMW agreed to the buyback, I posted a kind comment on how great they were to work with. The rep at BMWNA then screenshot it and emailed me a thank you for the positive review.

To sum it up... call BMWNA customer service and explain what has been happening. They really will investigate it and talk to your dealer. There are a ton of laws governing how they handle multiple repair for the same problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
When I lemoned a 2013 Range Rover Evoque, it took Land Rover a month to settle with me. I was refunded my cash out and was given an option to buy a Range Rover Sport at factory cost, which I gladly did.
      03-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrdrn View Post
Back in 2013 I lemon lawed my 135i after the Vanos bolts broke 3 times in about 3 months. If you go to my profile and click on past posts I recall documenting it on the forums. Honestly, once the SA gave me the contact at BMW it went smoothly and quickly. They were truly a joy to work with. It couldn't have been easier. Keep in mind that internal engine parts breaking and falling past the timing chain and into the sump is sorta a big deal. And very hard for a manufacturer to say "they all are like that"... actually, a bunch of those N55's were like that but I digress.

One thing that I did learn is that they go looking for you online and read everything that you have ever posted about your car. Fortunately, I way past the age of modifying my car so it wasn't an issue. How do I know this? Why BMW agreed to the buyback, I posted a kind comment on how great they were to work with. The rep at BMWNA then screenshot it and emailed me a thank you for the positive review.

To sum it up... call BMWNA customer service and explain what has been happening. They really will investigate it and talk to your dealer. There are a ton of laws governing how they handle multiple repair for the same problem.
Great data, and fortunately I don't mod my car nor speak poorly of the people I've worked with at NA nor my SA, he's a joy to work with and totally understands my frustration with a brand new car having this issue and no fix seems to work.

Just the fact that the alignment is now totally out of spec - and their own alignment machine warns that this is an issue for tire wear and safety - but seems to be the only way to get it to track straight gives me hope. Honestly wondering if it's like a bent frame that's causing it.

Anyway, thanks again for the deets!
Appreciate 0