BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Coolant Leak

03-21-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
gigzzzzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Auris

Coolant Leak

Hi all,

had the car over a year now. Water pump replaced by BMW a few months ago under warranty (now out of warranty).

Coolant sign came up yesterday, bottle completely empty. Put approx. 1L in and started the car - at this point the sign got thrown up again and the liquid had disappeared. Put another 500ml (ish) in to the max level and the same thing!

Took it to a local garage today and they say the leak is from the tank at the top. Took a short video (apologies for the low quality images attached, they are screenshots). They are saying its been leaking from there and a tank replacement should sort it. the small black screw thing.

Just wondering if I could get your thoughts out there to see if it makes sense/holds true for anyone else? Or if its a red herring and the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by gigzzzzz; 03-21-2023 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Thanks and more detail
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 12:27 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi,

If it's at the top of the tank, so easily accessible, can't you check it yourself to make sure? "The small black screw thing", aka "vent screw", is replaceable and has a replaceable sealing ring: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0636. Do they mean the screw-thread is damaged, or why the tank itself?

There can be other leaks, but if the one in question really exists it should be fixed, of course. If you mean to ask whether the leak can be from excessive pressure actually, whatever reason can be for that it should cause overheating, I would guess. Does the car overheat (before the level drops below the minimum)?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
gigzzzzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Auris

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hi,

If it's at the top of the tank, so easily accessible, can't you check it yourself to make sure? "The small black screw thing", aka "vent screw", is replaceable and has a replaceable sealing ring: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0636. Do they mean the screw-thread is damaged, or why the tank itself?

There can be other leaks, but if the one in question really exists it should be fixed, of course. If you mean to ask whether the leak can be from excessive pressure actually, whatever reason can be for that it should cause overheating, I would guess. Does the car overheat (before the level drops below the minimum)?
Yep was definitely leaking from the vent screw. Upon further inspection the tank was cracked underneath so got it replaced. Thanks for your reply!
Appreciate 0