BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i - electrics issue - Help needed

03-09-2023, 02:57 AM   #1
BMWB58ZF8
Rep
Drives: Bmw M140i

M140i - electrics issue - Help needed

Hi All,

I recently fitted an aftermarket LED steering wheel by tapping into the clockspring 12v wire. the steering wheel came with an OBD module which sends data signals to the steering wheel display.

Steering wheel works perfectly fine and no errors on dash etc.

However, upon driving the car, i noticed that under certain load (around 2000 rpm) - car would jerk/stutter upon acceleration. Barely noticeable in comfort but definitely can tell it's there in sport+. It definitely started after the steering wheel retrofit. Again, there have been no Errors on dash. Just the noticeable stutter upon acceleration/Deceleration. Car is also BM3 Stage 2+ and got a Xhp3 gearbox map. Car is also lowered by 25mm and on Bilstein b8 Shocks.

So far, i have done the following:
Disconnected the aftermarket LED steering wheel wiring and the OBD module
Disconnected battery terminals and left overnight, then reconnected
reflashed the car to stock map and back to Stage2+
Ran an ISTA/D Diagnosis and got the attached errors.

It seems like the steering wheel caused an issue with the electronics supply voltage/signals. Could anyone know what could be causing this? I've checked the fuse for the DSC and that seems to be intact. Could another blown fuse be causing this issue?

Link to image: https://ibb.co/4Z9vMbb

EDIT: so i've disconnected the steering wheel and all wiring/OBD harness. Then deleted all codes using ISTA/D. Car runs fine now and the codes haven't returned Thankfully.

Lesson learnt not to plug in chinese electronics again!

Last edited by BMWB58ZF8; 03-10-2023 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Solution
Appreciate 0