BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > BMW 116i F20 Software Update

11-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
rice_hug
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

BMW 116i F20 Software Update

I have just bought a 2011 BMW 116i F20. My first ever BMW. The iDrive system is saying the software on it is

Multimedia: ME-007.003.000
Telephone: TE:007.003.000

It looks to me like it has never been updated. I went onto the BMW website with my VIN number to get the update file that you put on a USB stick but it doesn't work, I spoke to them and they said the car is too old to get updates now and the only way to do it is by going to a BMW dealer.

Speaking to a dealer, they can't squeeze me in for weeks and it will take them a day to do it at a £££ cost.

My questions: Does anyone on here have an update file that will work and, if not, would you recommend paying BMW to get the update done in a garage?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Expect no magic updating your multimedia software. Say, what do you think you have: a (driver's ) car or a smartphone on wheels? If the former, get yourself a new phone and enjoy (them both). If the latter, the news is not too encouraging: your car might be too old to retrofit the new/modern shit you might long for. Here's a thread for your reference, to start (but I wouldn't ): https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1813127.

If it's the whole car software update ("it will take them a day to do" - exactly, non-stop) you would get from a BMW service, I had mine updated to introduce a new steering rack to the car. Some minor "user interface" updates I discovered aren't welcome at all. I can't say anything about multimedia as I don't have any: I have a "business" radio (you couldn't get it in UK) featuring no stand-up screen (just a two-line display on the radio control panel) and a "reduced" iDrive. My car seems to feel quite more powerful than before , but I wouldn't relate that to (engine) software update (that is possible though). Better fuel (why would they?) or I might just drive it better now.
Appreciate 0