BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Acupuncture for hip pain

08-20-2022, 06:41 AM   #1
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Acupuncture for hip pain

I'm older and have developed bursitis (inflammation of the bursa in my hips.) Steroid injections in the hips have only provided temp relief but I am scheduled to get ultrasound-guided inections in ten days or so -- the more accurate placement of the steroid should provide longer-lasting relief. I'm also doing physical therapy, which is strengthening my legs and hips and helping gradually reduce the pain level. Progress is slow but sure.

Two days ago I had an initial appointment with an acupuncture clinic in town. The doc has studied in China and has 20 years of experience, so seems well-qualified.

Anyway, the first session (of scheduled weekly ten) was interesting. I'd not had acupuncture before. The needles are ultra fine (think diameter of a hair) and do not hurt. The routine is for the doc to place the needles (in my case, in my hips and back) and then leave me alone for 20 minutes, then return and remove the needles. No immediate relief noted, though the doc says this should help with the ongoing physical therapy. I'm hopeful I will see relief over the medium/long term.

Unfortunately, not covered by insurance (Medicare) in my case.