BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 eats oil and coolant, what to do?

10-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #1
deathmonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series (F20)

F20 eats oil and coolant, what to do?

Hi 1addicts,

Since a while I have this problem, where my 1-series uses oil (put one liter in last week, was empty again after a week). Lately it started using coolant too(1L in 3-4 months). I have brought it to the garage for inspection. They adviced the following:
  • Coolant piping leaks, needs to be replaced. (€400)
  • Multi-belt needs to be replaced (€200)
  • valve cover replacement (€600)
  • valve seals needs to be replaced (€1700)

This combined would be around €2900 including VAT and labor.

About the car:
  • BMW 1 series f20 2011
  • N13 116i N13 engine
  • Automatic transmission
  • KM 250.000

My first question is: Do you guys agree with these repairs and secondly, are these costs normal?

Another option would be to do a whole engine revision. According to the mechanic this would cost €5000-6000. This would include the cost for repairing the oil problem. Coolant problem will add €400 to this. This way you are pretty sure the engine will go without problems for the coming years. Reason to choose this now is because if I would do this later, the price for this would stay the same, making the total higher.

What would you guys do?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi,

Oil consumption is measured in mileage, not time. Mine currently eats it's litre per about 3000 km. The engine works perfectly (feels better than before ), no signs of degradation (smoking, loss of power, anything unusual). When having the car serviced a few months ago, I spoke to a BMW official mechanic and he told me my oil consumption was absolutely fine. If I remember correctly , he said when it fell below 1000 km. per litre it would be time to start worrying (here's my quick find to prove it: https://thecarinvestor.com/do-bmws-burn-oil/).

Regarding coolant leaks, it's a typical issue. It's fine they found something, but you might need to be aware of a not so obvious leak there can be: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=363.

Regarding repair suggestions. They should show/prove valve cover/seals leak, I guess. I don't think multi-belt has anything to do with oil consumption but it can be bad. Regarding pricing. It's country-specific.

Regarding what I'd do. I'd act according to how much money I could spend: if I could afford the total revision (being quite sure it won't be a waste) I wouldn't put if off. Or I'd consider a new car. It's just the garage might want to "milk" you: I would find it suspicious they offer diagnostics and repair included (repair cost can vary a lot, depending).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:55 AM   #3
deathmonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series (F20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hi,

Oil consumption is measured in mileage, not time. Mine currently eats it's litre per about 3000 km. The engine works perfectly (feels better than before ), no signs of degradation (smoking, loss of power, anything unusual). When having the car serviced a few months ago, I spoke to a BMW official mechanic and he told me my oil consumption was absolutely fine. If I remember correctly , he said when it fell below 1000 km. per litre it would be time to start worrying (here's my quick find to prove it: https://thecarinvestor.com/do-bmws-burn-oil/).

Regarding coolant leaks, it's a typical issue. It's fine they found something, but you might need to be aware of a not so obvious leak there can be: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=363.

Regarding repair suggestions. They should show/prove valve cover/seals leak, I guess. I don't think multi-belt has anything to do with oil consumption but it can be bad. Regarding pricing. It's country-specific.

Regarding what I'd do. I'd act according to how much money I could spend: if I could afford the total revision (being quite sure it won't be a waste) I wouldn't put if off. Or I'd consider a new car. It's just the garage might want to "milk" you: I would find it suspicious they offer diagnostics and repair included (repair cost can vary a lot, depending).
Thanks for your answer! I've driven maybe 150KM in this week, so that seems far from acceptable, even for BMW's. Valve seals is hard to proof without opening up the engine I guess. Valve cover would help a bit, but the seals are the real fix according to him.

Regarding the coolant leak, thanks for the tip! Will point this out when I'm getting it repaired.
Appreciate 0