BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

04-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #2619
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
"Heyyyyyy Boo Boo!!!"
Well played.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70865.50
      04-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #2620
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
And that's the rub my friend. If this happened in the private sector do you think it would be international news? This is yet another example of the hate the MSM has for LEO. And the outrage by members of the public who are also looking for reasons to be outraged, triggered or just generally mad at the cops. I'm not mentioning any names though.
Hard to argue wit dat; I would just nudge it in a milder direction!
But a big difference might be that a private firm would take care of the situation... Stat!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #2621
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Heyyyyyy Boo Boo!!!"
Yo Swee'Pea!!!!

PS: Thanks Clan! Boo Boo was the smarter bear, with Yogi being the big buffoon, who always thought he was the Ranger.

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-28-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #2622
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well played.
Who lowered the net so far??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #2623
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Hard to argue wit dat; I would just nudge it in a milder direction!
But a big difference might be that a private firm would take care of the situation... Stat!
Not necessarily the way you think. Many would terminate or discipline the employees who released company video or even posted their own phone recordings, on company property, to social media.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #2624
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Quote:
That type of behavior basically falls under vandalism. Because lane splitting is allowed in California, it's basically an unwritten practice to give motorcyclists space. With that said, we have callous drivers here and sometimes they pull into the path of the motorcycle on purpose. This leads to the incident(s) you mentioned in your inquiry.
Thank you for clarifiying this, so in conclusion I have to make way for bikers from behind at any situation (under safe conditions) into Cali and into other states are not.
So if my car got damaged then by the biker if he maybe underestimates the available space...is that my fault by leaving too less space or must he wait behind until its safe to pass? Just asking as a tourist into your country...
Most motorcyclists know how much space they have. If you didn't move at all the motorcyclist would still be fine. It's the people who move to the right, effectively restricting the path of movement, that initiates the road rage. My advice is to either not move at all or move very slightly to the left. The motorcyclist will thank you for it (...and sometimes they/we will stretch our left arm out at you at an angle....and with an open hand or "peace" sign....as a visual gesture of appreciation; it's a positive thing, so don't interpret it as though the rider was being rude.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3
Quote:
A lot of people want to tell us how we should do it, but are unwilling to actually get out here and do it themselves and have their perspectives challenged. I liken it to the people who watch UFC fights and say what the person should've done or how they would've done it, but they've never been in a fight in their lives.
They have never fought we a person who is in a state of "Excited Delirium" We fought with a HMA, who we ended up tazing with no effect, fight is still on, got him on the ground face down, it took five of us to get him on hand-cuffs. I always request CDF/AMR to stage close by and why the public must ask is because while we had him laying on the ground, I then heck for pulse, no pulse not breathing. I rolled him over to his side, took the hand-cuffs off and had CDF roll in. CDF arrived and administered CPR and got his heart going and transported to the local hospital. It felt like eternity but actually it took about 10 -15 minutes. I spoke to the family after and they thank us for saving his life. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...
I sure do. I'll probably be dealing with that same situation multiple times today.
This is well said.

To answer for a motorcyclist currently living in NY, lane splitting/ filtering is illegal, so technically the motorcycle should wait to pass, merge, yeild in the same manner a car driver should.

I always wave or thumbs up any car that moved a bit to allow a motorcycle to pass by splitting/ filtering, because there are many drivers who purposely attempt to block a bike, most likely aggression due to envy of being restricted to traffic conditions while the bike has more"freedom" to maneuver.

This aggressive behavior from drivers prompts bikers to smash car mirrors in passing... but that is still considered vandalism, no matter the catalyst to this otherwise immature reaction.
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #2625
Murf993
Major
Rep

5300 Cops left NYPD in 2020 and the exodus is continuing in 2021.....like I said, be careful what you ask for.

https://policetribune.com/more-than-...FomiYmy7STLd0c
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #2626
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
And that's the rub my friend. If this happened in the private sector do you think it would be international news? This is yet another example of the hate the MSM has for LEO. And the outrage by members of the public who are also looking for reasons to be outraged, triggered or just generally mad at the cops. I'm not mentioning any names though.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021...-deputy-crash/

This happened recently, and unfortunately there will be those who will see it as "two black lives saved" et. al. While police sense of humor may not be agreeable with "normal" society's, the idea that human suffering is seen as "comedy" is still rather abnormal. But I will say this, as has been said often before, blame begins at home. Sad that your guys' profession is being battered, but until "people" (not because of what you do for a living, or not) accept responsibility, things will never change. So yes, we are pissing in the wind.

Last edited by rwheels; 04-28-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #2627
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Caution to anyone who encounters something weird/unusual in the road during their travels. Some civilians traveling on a local highway encountered a bunch of rocks placed in the road. They stopped to move the rocks and were fired upon by a male with a shotgun. Our SEB/SWAT team were dispatched and ultimately killed the perpetrator during a gunfight.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      04-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #2628
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Just a curiosity, but do police get free psychiatric therapy, or is mental depression/anxiety frowned upon, like in the military? As I understand this happens after a shooting, but just wondering if it is always available.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #2629
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Just a curiosity, but do police get free psychiatric therapy, or is mental depression/anxiety frowned upon, like in the military? As I understand this happens after a shooting, but just wondering if it is always available.
I suspect it's department dependant. That is to say different departments have different policies and different healthcare benefits. I also suspect that it's pretty standard with the bigger departments. I can say that here in Canada PTSD has become a very open topic, and we have EFAP which is funded through the benefits and available to all members and their family and it's mental health centric. I can say from personal experience that after a shooting critical incident, I was required to speak with a psychiatrist and that was in the late 80's.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      04-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #2630
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
The answer is Yes referring to counseling/therapy and it is available for us to use if needed. If your involved in a OIS then you automatically have 2 weeks off.
      04-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #2631
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
They have good coverage but other than required therapy like post shootings, members of service may be reluctant to utilize their insurance for fear of it being on the record even with privacy laws.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      04-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #2632
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
They have good coverage but other than required therapy like post shootings, members of service may be reluctant to utilize their insurance for fear of it being on the record even with privacy laws.
It's a good point. My clinic specializes in women care exclusively. We see female LEOs on a regular basis. We do not offer psychological services but we have referrals provided on premises. On the House and off the books.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      04-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #2633
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
It's a good point. My clinic specializes in women care exclusively. We see female LEOs on a regular basis. We do not offer psychological services but we have referrals provided on premises. On the House and off the books.
I know of situations where LEO have paid out of pocket and even used an alias so there is no record.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      04-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #2634
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
I know of situations where LEO have paid out of pocket and even used an alias so there is no record.
Not surprised...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:55 PM   #2635
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I suspect it's department dependant. That is to say different departments have different policies and different healthcare benefits. I also suspect that it's pretty standard with the bigger departments. I can say that here in Canada PTSD has become a very open topic, and we have EFAP which is funded through the benefits and available to all members and their family and it's mental health centric. I can say from personal experience that after a shooting critical incident, I was required to speak with a psychiatrist and that was in the late 80's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
The answer is Yes referring to counseling/therapy and it is available for us to use if needed. If your involved in a OIS then you automatically have 2 weeks off.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All of these!!!

We have a psychological services bureau on my department and they encourage us to reach out and utilize them.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #2636
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Caution to anyone who encounters something weird/unusual in the road during their travels. Some civilians traveling on a local highway encountered a bunch of rocks placed in the road. They stopped to move the rocks and were fired upon by a male with a shotgun. Our SEB/SWAT team were dispatched and ultimately killed the perpetrator during a gunfight.
A shotgun? Amateur.

I hope those good civilians returned accurate fire.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #2637
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
I'm not a cop, just a pilot. In my profession, any sort of mental "disorder" is a disqualifier for our required medical certificate.

There is absolutely no way I would willingly or openly use a mental health care provider.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #2638
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

It's kind of the same for a medical providers. Although that rule may have changed now due to Covid. For example, when I renew my medical license I have to disclose whether I ever received treatment for a mental disorder.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      04-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #2639
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
A shotgun? Amateur.

I hope those good civilians returned accurate fire.

We did! ....the civilians, however, were unarmed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #2640
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
I'm not a cop, just a pilot. In my profession, any sort of mental "disorder" is a disqualifier for our required medical certificate.

There is absolutely no way I would willingly or openly use a mental health care provider.
Our treatment is off the record, so to speak.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
rwheels7066.50
mahalom3163.00