BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > I remember the 2001 F1 Spanish GP

05-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Arrow I remember the 2001 F1 Spanish GP

i remember like yesterday of '01 Spanish GP that Hakkinen lost the race 2km away from the finish line after dominating the race.. Mika lost his engine and so do i lost 5 years of my life at that moment still not recovered... )
and it was the race that caused Hakkinen to quit F1 afterwards..

was an easy bonus win for Schumi back in that time..

this year though.. for me it feels more like that season starts in Europe full power with upgrades and older tracks.. Ferrari just announced that they ll use new power unit for Spanish GP on the weekend.. hoping to see some fair racing this weekend..

Last edited by yco; 05-07-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
NickyC17344.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      05-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Good grief I hate these old videos, listen to those engines. F1 like many other things is just far worse than it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Murray Walker
Poiseuille5362.00
      05-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
If it’s a Mercedes 1, 2— I’m switching to Competitive Darts ��

American Motorsport ownership generally isn’t good for a sport.
      05-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

F1 TV at least didnt pretend to be dead this time by this act..

"As you may know, we experienced some issues with the F1 TV service during our coverage of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

We want to apologise for the inconvenience caused and we’re working as quickly as we can to get these issues resolved for you.

Because of the problems you’ve been experiencing, we will be giving you a refund for 3.33 EUR to apologise. This will happen this week and it will be paid onto the card you subscribed with so there’s nothing you need to do.

Thanks for your patience and support.

The team at F1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Good grief I hate these old videos, listen to those engines. F1 like many other things is just far worse than it used to be.
yeah i hear you.. i guess there wont be any other car that hurts peoples ears in future again..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
F1 TV at least didnt pretend to be dead this time by this act..

"As you may know, we experienced some issues with the F1 TV service during our coverage of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

We want to apologise for the inconvenience caused and we’re working as quickly as we can to get these issues resolved for you.

Because of the problems you’ve been experiencing, we will be giving you a refund for 3.33 EUR to apologise. This will happen this week and it will be paid onto the card you subscribed with so there’s nothing you need to do.

Thanks for your patience and support.

The team at F1"

yeah i hear you.. i guess there wont be any other car that hurts peoples ears in future again..

Lol, I sent f1 TV an angry email saying I want a refund for that shitty service.
They refunded me $5......
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

WELL SAiD....

Quote:
There was nothing like a 3 liter V-10 @ 19,000 RPM....NOTHING; remember how decimated the audibles were when the new V-6 turbo hybrid iteratrion was released?? It was HORRIBLE....to the extent that F1 allowed modifying the exhaust to make it sound like a race car instead of an Uber.
      05-07-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
There was nothing like a 3 liter V-10 @ 19,000 RPM....NOTHING; remember how decimated the audibles were when the new V-6 turbo hybrid iteratrion was released?? It was HORRIBLE....to the extent that F1 allowed modifying the exhaust to make it sound like a race car instead of an Uber.
Tell me about it, it's so sad. Want to know how dumb I am? The first time I ever watched an F1 race live was in Monaco in the late 90s. I was in the city itself and being in my early 20s and knowing everything, I sat there with no ear protection on. When the cars came by for the first time, the sound was so incredibly loud it almost made me vomit. I had vertigo for the next 10-15 minutes and thought I had lost my hearing. I had never heard anything that loud prior, nor have I heard anything that loud since. The only thing close was near the end of turn 1 at the start of the race when they used to run F1 at Indy, but by then I was smart enough to have heavy duty ear protection on. It's almost impossible to relate to somebody the sound unless you experience it live, I didn't think anything could be that damned loud.

Nothing will ever sound like the V10s again, and that makes me very sad.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well said NickyC....

Quote:
Tell me about it, it's so sad. Want to know how dumb I am? The first time I ever watched an F1 race live was in Monaco in the late 90s. I was in the city itself and being in my early 20s and knowing everything, I sat there with no ear protection on. When the cars came by for the first time, the sound was so incredibly loud it almost made me vomit. I had vertigo for the next 10-15 minutes and thought I had lost my hearing. I had never heard anything that loud prior, nor have I heard anything that loud since. The only thing close was near the end of turn 1 at the start of the race when they used to run F1 at Indy, but by then I was smart enough to have heavy duty ear protection on. It's almost impossible to relate to somebody the sound unless you experience it live, I didn't think anything could be that damned loud.

Nothing will ever sound like the V10s again, and that makes me very sad.
Off-topic for this thread's Spanish GP talk, but on-topic regarding race car noise....I posted this in the "facts about top fuel dragsters" thread in this Professional Motorsports section....I know it's long, but this is my account of a life-long dream to stand at the start line of an NHRA Top Fuel Dragster launch....

Top Fuel Dragsters....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Alas, Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey has closed the drag strip. Each year I loved packing up as many as my friend's kids I could get for the Night of Thrills. I brought plenty of headsets and earplugs. The first time someone sees a funny car or top fueler launch, is something to behold. You tell them it's gonna be LOUD (even with the protection) and the ground will shake. And when it happens, it's still a surprise. And if there was a jet car or Robosourus that was icing on the cake.

Nothing like a drag strip pit for kids to get close to the cars and we always went home full of food that was bad for us and t-shirts that the kids were never allowed to wear again. Sure, the World of Outlaws is good but there is nothing like the launch of a funny car except maybe a Shuttle or Falcon Heavy liftoff.

///Rich

PS-Even the Thunderbirds over the beach don't compare and that too is a great show. And Leo (RIP) at the Sussex Airshow gone too. Just composing this post makes me sad.

Well said -
I've followed professional level drag racing for 50+ yrs; I've always dreamed of what it would be like to actually stand at the start line when the fastest accelerating vehicles on earth....LAUNCH; i was given this opportunity at the 2018 Pacific Northwest Nationals when the NHRA CRAZIES came to town....when I was allowed to be a guest on one of the Top Fuel Dragster teams for the entire weekend....as the dragster completed it's burnout to warm the tires and lay down a fresh patch of rubber (they back up and place the car in the tracks they just laid)....and the competitor's car did the same, my eyes were burning from the massive amounts of unburned nitromethane billowing out of the zoomie headers....I was wearing full-blown hearing protection...I was standing directly behind the beast and about 20 feet back....looking at the two packed parachutes and a rear wing that creates over 4,000 lbs of downforce when they achieve terminial velocity of appx 330 MPH....when the burnout to warm the tires occurred, i was hit by large amounts of micro-small rubber pellets that were being thrown off of the tires....and then, both beasts slowly rolled forward until the front bicycle-type wheels touched a light beam that brings on one blue light on the starting light "tree"....this is a pre-staged condition....and then the driver slowly rolls forward again (about 12 inches) until a second blue light is lit on the tree....at this point, the beast is perfectly staged....at this point, the NHRA Chief Starter pushes a button and the the appx 5 yellow lights on the tree turn on all at one time and it is exaclty 4/10's of a second until the green "go" light turns on....when the driver releases the hand brake lever and smashes the throttle and the beast moves, this breaks the light beam at the front wheels and the elapsed time count begins on how long it takes for the beast to break the light beam at the finish line, which provides the total Elapsed Time to cover the 1,000 ft; if the driver leaves before the green light turns on, a red light turns on on the tree which states you moved the car before the green light turned on and you are disqualified....back to my story of standing behind these beasts....I knew the sound and visceral excitement would be unbelievable, but I was not prepared for the massive NOISE and the massive CONCUSSION that occurred when both beasts launched....it was one of those nano-second moments in life when an explosion has occurred and your mlnd says you should run for your life in the opposite direction from where you are standing....the noise concussion and the massive amount of air concussion coming from the beast; it's impossible to explain how unreal it is to see a vehicle move that quickly from a starting line....it doesn't seem possible; the story gets more adrenalin-insane when the car I was with that weekend got to the finish line at appx 320 MPH AND BOTH PARACHUTES DID NOT OPEN....you really can't see the deceleration area and wasn't sure if the driver got the beast slowed down before running off into the last-chance sand trap....the carbon/carbon rear brakes (no brakes on the front wheels) got the beast stopped before disaster at the deceleration end of the track....I'll never forget this experience.
NickyC17344.50
      05-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The sound would be much better if they removed the fuel flow limits and let them turn a lot more revs.

I hate this idea that motorsports, F1 in particular needs to be green. The CO2 load from the cars PALES in comparison to all the shipping around the world for all the races by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE.

It's so stupid.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17344.50
      05-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The sound would be much better if they removed the fuel flow limits and let them turn a lot more revs.

I hate this idea that motorsports, F1 in particular needs to be green. The CO2 load from the cars PALES in comparison to all the shipping around the world for all the races by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE.

It's so stupid.
end of this month they ll decide on 2021 regulations.. and 99% it ll be no fuel flow limit + in race refueling ll be free again.. it ll boost things up for sure..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
end of this month they ll decide on 2021 regulations.. and 99% it ll be no fuel flow limit + in race refueling ll be free again.. it ll boost things up for sure..
What makes you think they are bringing back refueling?

It was originally done away with because the TEAMS didn't want inrace refueling because of the extra logistics, cost, and potential for mishaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
What makes you think they are bringing back refueling?

It was originally done away with because the TEAMS didn't want inrace refueling because of the extra logistics, cost, and potential for mishaps.
well for me at least fuel save is not a thing that any motorsports fan is happy about.. and when they put higher fuel flow rate it ll mean engines will consume more.. and with this regulations right now cars probably will need 40-50kg of additional fuel which ll bring them to limits an almost 1000kg of race start weight.. it ll be too much..

and another point is highly possible that MGU-H will be gone in 2021.. and the last big thing for me at least.. its F1 refueling was there for decades.. i dont want to see races with fuel saving or too heavy for not putting some good laps in race.. this one is more subjective though..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
well for me at least fuel save is not a thing that any motorsports fan is happy about.. and when they put higher fuel flow rate it ll mean engines will consume more.. and with this regulations right now cars probably will need 40-50kg of additional fuel which ll bring them to limits an almost 1000kg of race start weight.. it ll be too much..

and another point is highly possible that MGU-H will be gone in 2021.. and the last big thing for me at least.. its F1 refueling was there for decades.. i dont want to see races with fuel saving or too heavy for not putting some good laps in race.. this one is more subjective though..
So, what you're saying is, you haven't read anything suggesting these changes are going to happen......you're merely expressing the changes you'd like to see.

(Trust me I'd like to see refueling and no fuel flow limit, but I doubt it's going to happen.)

Remember there were times in F1 where they could refuel, but had to run the race on one set of tires. Now they can change tires, have to run at least two sets of tires that are different compounds (unless a wet race) but can't refuel.

The regs in F1 are always changing.

Personally I'd like to see a hard spending cap and the tech regs opened up. But that's not going to happen either.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
So, what you're saying is, you haven't read anything suggesting these changes are going to happen......you're merely expressing the changes you'd like to see.

(Trust me I'd like to see refueling and no fuel flow limit, but I doubt it's going to happen.)

Remember there were times in F1 where they could refuel, but had to run the race on one set of tires. Now they can change tires, have to run at least two sets of tires that are different compounds (unless a wet race) but can't refuel.

The regs in F1 are always changing.

Personally I'd like to see a hard spending cap and the tech regs opened up. But that's not going to happen either.
no its not like that.. there are some news about it.. Brawn wants to make things more fun also..

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...4EmuSQkMe.html ..

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/f1...ig-scarborough ..

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...for-end-of-may ..

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-ground-effect ..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #16
Racerx11
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
I am putting my money on LeClerc this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #17
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

was an easy win for Lewis.. but Ferrari's were way too slow here.. i guess there is not much smiles back in Maranello at the moment and at the track..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
BORING!!! Smartest person in F1? Bernie. Dumbest? Liberty Media or perhaps me for watching. I’m definitely not buying any F1 tickets this year. First in decades....
      05-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
was an easy win for Lewis.. but Ferrari's were way too slow here.. i guess there is not much smiles back in Maranello at the moment and at the track..
Yeah . While Ferrari got an engine upgrade , they looked slow today .
Max looked really fast today , he showed he was faster than Ferrari. That's why I'm sure that Red Bull made a big step forward with the Honda power source , but also with their Aerodynamics . Max was today pretty close to the Mercs as well !

So...Here is the man of the race , because he finished with his 3th. place on the podium .
Good job Max !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
EdM53854.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      05-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Max became a real racing driver in recent 10-15 races.. he passed 2 Ferrari's super neat and smart.. well done to him really.. he deserves Vettel's seat already starting from end of the last season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
BORING!!! Smartest person in F1? Bernie. Dumbest? Liberty Media or perhaps me for watching. I’m definitely not buying any F1 tickets this year. First in decades....
was pretty fun for LH guys..
i guess you really should blame Ferrari..
Appreciate 3
EdM53854.50
VeloF1318.00
      05-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Max became a real racing driver in recent 10-15 races.. he passed 2 Ferrari's super neat and smart.. well done to him really.. he deserves Vettel's seat already starting from end of the last season..
Indeed !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:

was pretty fun for LH guys..
i guess you really should blame Ferrari..
Max has really impressed me this year. He has matured into a thinking racing driver, a far cry from his early days.

Ferrari should get rid of Vettel asap and put Verstappen in his place.
Appreciate 2
EdM53854.50