BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does anyone NOT believe in aliens?

05-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #23
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
What evidence do I have? None. Could there be? Sure, I suppose. But I don't believe there are because I don't have any evidence of them. And I don't see any reason to have a faith based approach to them. Like I said (probably won't be in my lifetime anyways), if somewhere down the road we discover there are aliens, then fine. Not going to impact me too much I don't think either way. But you ask which side I'm on - right now it is that they don't exist because of the lack of evidence for them.

Well...that makes zero sense - what's the correlation there? On one hand, we have fossils which would form sort of "evidence" wouldn't it? On the other hand, we have no evidence. You are going to have to help me with this giant leap you've made to correlate the two.
Do you believe in God or Gods? Theres no evidence there either. I feel the same about God as you do about aliens. Maybe there is a God or Gods, maybe not.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #24
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I believe that there has to be aliens somewhere, the universe is too large to statically not have one or more life sustaining planets out there. Now, that we have ever had any contact with them, hell no. They are millions of light-years away, and we will be snuffed out long before we ever get in contact with them.

The closest we will ever get is a possible "did I hear that" via something like SETI, but it will be a signal millennia old and, thanks to the inverse square will be like a fart in the wind.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #25
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Do you believe in God or Gods? Theres no evidence there either. I feel the same about God as you do about aliens. Maybe there is a God or Gods, maybe not.
Yup, I believe in God. Which if you recall, I said I didn't a reason to have a faith based approach to aliens. What does it matter to me if they exist? I don't think they do, but truly, what does it matter?

Whereas God is a different story, at least in my mind. I look around this earth and I cannot come to the conclusion that it wasn't created. That this was all a happy coincidence, that continues to occur. And if it was created, then there is a Creator. And I worship that Creator and seek to bring glory to him. To me, I believe the Bible is true. Others have the same religious belief that I do (to a degree, we do differ) but would hold that the Quran is true. Or something else - depends on what you believe.

But I don't look around this earth and see evidence of aliens.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Absolute hard core athiest here, so on paper should be open to the idea of life on other planets etc. Firstly, addressing the whole UFO, little grey men thing, I think the cell phone cameras have put an end tot hat possibility. Back in the day it was shitty grainy film or 99% of the time "I didn't have a camera!!!!!!" so no excuse now and nuffin. So that's out the window.

Open tot he idea of life in other galaxies etc but wouldn't surprise me if we were a fluke.

People over think this shit sometimes, maybe we are a bazillion to one shot this little planet, this is all ther eis folks, you die and you're forgotten in a generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:48 AM   #27
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

So who is flying all those fast flying crafts the pentagon is finally openly admitting to and congress is having sessions about and those foo fighters in WW2 everyone thought was from the other side? Watch any UFO documentary and look at the testimonies and pictures. There are literally over tens maybe hundreds of thousands of incidences throughout history across the globe and probably more. Many of them could be hoaxes and pranks but all it takes is one of those to be true. Just one. I like those odds.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
So who is flying all those fast flying crafts the pentagon is finally openly admitting to and congress is having sessions about and those foo fighters in WW2 everyone thought was from the other side? Watch any UFO documentary and look at the testimonies and pictures. There are literally over tens maybe hundreds of thousands of incidences throughout history across the globe and probably more. Many of them could be hoaxes and pranks but all it takes is one of those to be true. Just one. I like those odds.
How the flying fuck do we not have a clear photo yet, LIKE COME ON! EVERYONE has a camera.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #29
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Nearly all of the tens of thousands of sightings are proven hoaxes or have valid reasons. there are some that are generally unexplainable, and they will likely remain that way... but there are a lot of natural phenomenon that can cause some of that. The majority of the ones that look like real objects doing odd things are in all likelihood human made... (sticking with facts, probability and science) there are cutting edge experiments that can't be disclosed that all of these point to. US, China are likely the two the majority of these come from. I have no doubts that both US & China have begun to crack some of the possibilities of anti-gravity and optical & atmospherically distortion and such. the things that would make these sightings occur.

you gotta test it somewhere! and with so many boats, plans and people it's hard to keep it completely hidden.

to others point... not a SINGLE photo or video that is able to be seen or validated that makes you say "yup, that's legit alien"
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #30
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
Nearly all of the tens of thousands of sightings are proven hoaxes or have valid reasons. there are some that are generally unexplainable, and they will likely remain that way... but there are a lot of natural phenomenon that can cause some of that. The majority of the ones that look like real objects doing odd things are in all likelihood human made... (sticking with facts, probability and science) there are cutting edge experiments that can't be disclosed that all of these point to. US, China are likely the two the majority of these come from. I have no doubts that both US & China have begun to crack some of the possibilities of anti-gravity and optical & atmospherically distortion and such. the things that would make these sightings occur.

you gotta test it somewhere! and with so many boats, plans and people it's hard to keep it completely hidden.

to others point... not a SINGLE photo or video that is able to be seen or validated that makes you say "yup, that's legit alien"
How do we explain intelligent design?... DNA, bodily systems / functions / digestion / respiration / reproduction? Photosynthesis, pollenation? Why no feathered mammals? Where are the short-necked giraffe fossils?

Maybe we are just a big science fair and everyone brought their experiments / specimen and let them cut loose for a few millennia to see what happens?
      05-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #31
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
My philosophical take on this subject is that Earth had a great "do-over" 66 million years ago, when the dinosaurs and many cold-blooded lifeforms went extinct. If there were cold-blooded lifeforms on other planets on a similar evolutionary schedule, they would be millions of years more advanced than humanity right now. They may even be looking at us as an evolutionary freak show, being warm-blooded when everyone else in the universe is cold-blooded.....
      05-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #32
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
How do we explain intelligent design?... DNA, bodily systems / functions / digestion / respiration / reproduction? Photosynthesis, pollenation? Why no feathered mammals? Where are the short-necked giraffe fossils?

Maybe we are just a big science fair and everyone brought their experiments / specimen and let them cut loose for a few millennia to see what happens?
Actually, all of that is very simply and easily explainable and well proven out with methodical science and then proven valid hundreds of thousands of times over again. None of that just showed up... it all changed over the course of many millions of millions of years of evolution, very very well proven out and it continues to occur today, it's just at a slow space that's hard to see as a human that lives only a few years.

Evolution occurs slowly, but it is also established that evolution takes happy accidental leaps from time to time. all simple science and is provable and part of mathematics, biology, physics and can be validated over and over again.

Life wants to survive and will fight against all odds to do so... it adapts and overcomes... this is how all these species came about.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #33
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Dark forest theory-
All life desires to stay alive.
There is no way to know if other lifeforms can or will destroy you if given a chance.
Lacking assurances, the safest option for any species is to annihilate other life forms before they have a chance to do the same.

Since all other lifeforms are risk-averse and willing to do anything to save themselves, contact of any kind is dangerous, as it almost assuredly would lead to the contacted race wiping out whoever was foolish enough to give away their location. This leads to all civilizations attempting to hide in radio silence.
      05-19-2022, 09:20 AM   #34
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Dark forest theory-
This leads to all civilizations attempting to hide in radio silence.
Except us. We're blasting RF crapoloa into space non-stop.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #35
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
Except us. We're blasting RF crapoloa into space non-stop.
We went through the age of enlightenment, on to the scientific revolution, then to industrial revolution, and now we are entering the new age of sheer stupidity zero accountability and entitlement which leads to the age of self-annihilation.

This is where all prior intelligent civilizations have yet to make it past.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615143.50
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #36
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:

Uhh, just because you dont know it doesnt mean its "god:"
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ree-180967059/

Youre a "god of the gaps" kind of guy I guess, problem is every time those gaps get closed by science the gullible arent capable of going "hmm, all of these things we once thought was god turned out to be easily explained, maybe my concept of god is off." Nope, its "well, then what about THIS?!?!?!"
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #37
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually, all of that is very simply and easily explainable and well proven out with methodical science and then proven valid hundreds of thousands of times over again. None of that just showed up... it all changed over the course of many millions of millions of years of evolution, very very well proven out and it continues to occur today, it's just at a slow space that's hard to see as a human that lives only a few years.

Evolution occurs slowly, but it is also established that evolution takes happy accidental leaps from time to time. all simple science and is provable and part of mathematics, biology, physics and can be validated over and over again.

Life wants to survive and will fight against all odds to do so... it adapts and overcomes... this is how all these species came about.
NONE of this is simply or easily explained or proven, unless you simply buy in to what you were taught on faith in elementary school.

But where are the feathered mammal and short neck giraffe fossils?
      05-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #38
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
We went through the age of enlightenment, on to the scientific revolution, then to industrial revolution, and now we are entering the new age of sheer stupidity zero accountability and entitlement which leads to the age of self-annihilation.

This is where all prior intelligent civilizations have yet to make it past.
Really bummed about this. I was involved in the very early phases of the internet when it was just universities, govt and a few enterprise level businesses and saw all of this potential. I totally didn't think "This is going to be where the dumbest 3rd of society tricks the second dumbest 3rd into believing some abject BS. Oh and weirdos are going to be able to find each other for their really gross sex stuff."

Sorry guys, had I known I would have taken out Al Gore /s.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615143.50
minn1914018.00
UncleWede17962.50
      05-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #39
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
NONE of this is simply or easily explained or proven, unless you simply buy in to what you were taught on faith in elementary school.

Unlike you some of us continued learning AFTER elementary school.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 09:47 AM   #40
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Uhh, just because you dont know it doesnt mean its "god:"
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ree-180967059/

Youre a "god of the gaps" kind of guy I guess, problem is every time those gaps get closed by science the gullible arent capable of going "hmm, all of these things we once thought was god turned out to be easily explained, maybe my concept of god is off." Nope, its "well, then what about THIS?!?!?!"
Giraffe relatives in Spain? Interesting for sure. I didn't see that before. Still no such beasts in Africa. And dinosaurs are thought by many to be the predecessors of modern birds, so I'm not sure I can draw any conclusions on African short neck giraffes from that article. That said, I am using "short necked giraffes" as a just one symbolic logical anomaly.

Oh, and I believe there are zero gods. Maybe life on earth was or wasn't a cosmic accident, but it didn't just "happen".
      05-19-2022, 09:49 AM   #41
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Unlike you some of us continued learning AFTER elementary school.
You know me so well. You're such a clever boy. What is your need to dive right into insults? Evolution!
      05-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #42
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
But I don't look around this earth and see evidence of aliens.
For all we know WE are the evidence of aliens. Maybe the Earths "Gods" are aliens from other places that dropped us off one day and said "Here you go. Here is an entire planet for you. Don't fuck it up."

We fucked it up.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 09:55 AM   #43
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is your need to dive right into insults?
It's kind of his thing. He is an asshole and we all love him for it.

Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      05-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #44
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

First off - I love cars & guitars... I'm a strat guy and I got my daughter a PRS and it's extremely impressive... Gibsons, Tele's and larger bodies just are not comfortable. you?

but I digress; not to make a long topic here or get far off. but it is very very simply provable with science. it starts with things like bacteria and how they morph, then you can trace lineage of animals (sure there are some gap periods) but you can see in that lineage both visually and through DNA the traceability of evolution. you can see the forking in specie tree's based on environmental conditions.. all FACT and easily reproducible science without using any assumptions or guesses.

a mammal isn't a real thing, it's a classification made by humans. a whale doesn't know it's a mammal and it's not a mammal by any standard other than human language & thought.

Short-neck giraffes are zebra, horses or other life forms... all short-neck giraffes died as part of evolution because they couldn't reach the food that was high in the tree... that's evolution.. those that can't eat, die, those that can, live on. those that learn to climb a tree live longer than those that can't. it really is super-simple and fully explainable.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00