BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Headaches
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2022, 04:27 AM   #1
Kick 6
Private First Class
Kick 6's Avatar
245
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Headaches

Anyone on here have frequent headaches? Do you want to discuss what is causing your headaches? I'll throw some knowledge on you if you want to talk about them. We are all different and each of us can have different reasons for having them. I've had some success treating them in the past and I'm in that talking mood.

Things that help determine the cause of your headache are:

What time of the day you have them
Where on the head do you hurt
What kind of pain do they cause
Frequency or how often you have them
Are there Environmental triggers
How long do they last
What helps your headache get better
__________________
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Caravaggio
Major General
2745
Rep
5,462
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

For me driving a car during daylight - almost always - gives me a migraine style headache. Every long ride Iím driving almost always induces one. Could it be sunlight and my physical eyes. Is it stress - because I often am happy just cruising in the right lane not worried about time. Conversely riding a motorcycle similar long distance never gives me a headache ( one exception- it was a long day and I was overheated and riding in a slow group )

Sometimes i obsess over business and that seems to induce a headache occasionally.

One last item that gives me headaches seems to be large servings of sweet processed foods with ingredients like sugar-water or other low quality sugar gives me a problem.

But when I go for a run on a bright sunny day and work from home I never get a headache.

I probably have obsessive compulsive and ADHD type character. And driving is certainly a primary factor.

So those are my triggers.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
Kick 6
Private First Class
Kick 6's Avatar
245
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
For me driving a car during daylight - almost always - gives me a migraine style headache. Every long ride Iím driving almost always induces one. Could it be sunlight and my physical eyes. Is it stress - because I often am happy just cruising in the right lane not worried about time. Conversely riding a motorcycle similar long distance never gives me a headache ( one exception- it was a long day and I was overheated and riding in a slow group )

Sometimes i obsess over business and that seems to induce a headache occasionally.

One last item that gives me headaches seems to be large servings of sweet processed foods with ingredients like sugar-water or other low quality sugar gives me a problem.

But when I go for a run on a bright sunny day and work from home I never get a headache.

I probably have obsessive compulsive and ADHD type character. And driving is certainly a primary factor.

So those are my triggers.
Light sensitivity is something I've seen in people before that triggered headaches. It's often corrected with limiting light to the eyes. Sun glasses or blue light blocking glasses for some may be needed, but sometimes it's as simple as not turning on the fluorescent light over the sink while washing dishes. That worked for one patient I know. I've used True Dark Sunglasses with success in the past. They're good for anyone who looks a lot of computer screens all day.

When light sensitivity is an issue, melatonin levels often come into play. Our oxidative stress levels are so high that melatonin is utilized as an anti-oxidant and our levels are diminished. Melatonin, IMO, is one of the most important supplements we can take, especially if we are dealing with viral issues.
__________________
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
Caravaggio2745.00
      10-13-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
wtwo3
Brigadier General
wtwo3's Avatar
10714
Rep
4,313
Posts

Drives: 2023 X7 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW m340i  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7 40i  [10.00]
I get headaches quite often and many times they're debilitating.


What time of the day you have them: I wake up with them. I RARELY ever develop a headache throughout the day.. it's almost always something I wake up with.
Where on the head do you hurt: usually just the entire head
What kind of pain do they cause: constant pain.. no throbbing or sharp pains... just constant pain
Frequency or how often you have them: seasonal frequencies... during summer and winter maybe once every couple weeks. During fall and spring at least once a week.
Are there Environmental triggers: often seems like increased chance with changes in temperature or rain
How long do they last: depends on how much ibuprofen I take. I'll start with 2 pills of advil in the morning, then take 2 more every 3-4 hours until the headache eventually subsides, usually by the evening. If I don't take any medicine, it will progressively get worse throughout the day. I rarely ever have a headache that lasts more than a day.
What helps your headache get better: lots of ibuprofen... a full night's sleep
__________________
2023 BMW M3 6MT (On Order)
2023 BMW X7 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

'20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #5
DocL
Captain
DocL's Avatar
United_States
1520
Rep
696
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I get headaches quite often and many times they're debilitating.


What time of the day you have them: I wake up with them. I RARELY ever develop a headache throughout the day.. it's almost always something I wake up with.
Where on the head do you hurt: usually just the entire head
What kind of pain do they cause: constant pain.. no throbbing or sharp pains... just constant pain
Frequency or how often you have them: seasonal frequencies... during summer and winter maybe once every couple weeks. During fall and spring at least once a week.d
Are there Environmental triggers: often seems like increased chance with changes in temperature or rain
How long do they last: depends on how much ibuprofen I take. I'll start with 2 pills of advil in the morning, then take 2 more every 3-4 hours until the headache eventually subsides, usually by the evening. If I don't take any medicine, it will progressively get worse throughout the day. I rarely ever have a headache that lasts more than a day.
What helps your headache get better: lots of ibuprofen... a full night's sleep
How is your sleep? Are you overweight?
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 1
Kick 6245.00
      10-14-2022, 06:09 AM   #6
wtwo3
Brigadier General
wtwo3's Avatar
10714
Rep
4,313
Posts

Drives: 2023 X7 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW m340i  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7 40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
How is your sleep? Are you overweight?
Well I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. So sleep is terrible

I've never been overweight but I did gain about 20 lbs over the past 4 years since having kids that I'd love to lose. I'm 5'10" and about 190.

These headaches however have been a problem since childhood. I know my mom also gets frequent headaches so not sure if it's genetic.
__________________
2023 BMW M3 6MT (On Order)
2023 BMW X7 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

'20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Kick 6
Private First Class
Kick 6's Avatar
245
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. So sleep is terrible

I've never been overweight but I did gain about 20 lbs over the past 4 years since having kids that I'd love to lose. I'm 5'10" and about 190.

These headaches however have been a problem since childhood. I know my mom also gets frequent headaches so not sure if it's genetic.
The genes that are most associated with headaches (and seizures) run on the female side.

Waking up with headaches could be one of several things. It could be related to the diurnal cortisol spike we get early in the mornings but I haven't seen that to be the case most times. More than likely, it's due to a reduction in oxygen levels ultimately caused by dehydration. Some of us are very sodium dependent. That's just a term I use, it just means our sodium levels fluctuate more than other people. We also often see it is bipolar and seizure patients.

Bowel habits can be a great tool for information for sodium related issues. Fluctuations of sodium can cause bouts of constipation or dry stools. I tell people to monitor their sodium intake. Too much is bad, but not enough can cause issues too. For people who have nighttime or early morning headaches, I tell them to make sure they have adequate sodium at supper. Reducing sodium is a good thing for most Americans because they eat too much, but they must maintain adequate sodium levels. Monitor how much sodium you eat each day for a week. Also track what you eat. Get a small log book and write it all in it. If you have a headache, write that down on that day as well. Go back a couple days and look at sodium and food selection. Sometimes, there will be a trigger food that is causing the headache and it will show itself after a few incidences. Other times it's a lack of sodium intake, especially if you have done some physical activity that day or the day before.

As for weather causing problems, that is a pressure and pathogen issue. As the pressure from and oncoming front changes, our blood flow to extremities and cutaneous areas increases. Our immune system is able to find and kill pathogens that normally get a pass. Situations like this, it really helps to exercise regularly or stretch often. That increases blood flow similarly to an oncoming weather system. Or you could take immediate release Niacin which causes flushing of the skin but most people don't like the way it makes them feel. I take the immediate release Niacin.
__________________
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
wtwo310714.00
      10-14-2022, 09:49 PM   #8
wtwo3
Brigadier General
wtwo3's Avatar
10714
Rep
4,313
Posts

Drives: 2023 X7 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW m340i  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7 40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
The genes that are most associated with headaches (and seizures) run on the female side.

Waking up with headaches could be one of several things. It could be related to the diurnal cortisol spike we get early in the mornings but I haven't seen that to be the case most times. More than likely, it's due to a reduction in oxygen levels ultimately caused by dehydration. Some of us are very sodium dependent. That's just a term I use, it just means our sodium levels fluctuate more than other people. We also often see it is bipolar and seizure patients.

Bowel habits can be a great tool for information for sodium related issues. Fluctuations of sodium can cause bouts of constipation or dry stools. I tell people to monitor their sodium intake. Too much is bad, but not enough can cause issues too. For people who have nighttime or early morning headaches, I tell them to make sure they have adequate sodium at supper. Reducing sodium is a good thing for most Americans because they eat too much, but they must maintain adequate sodium levels. Monitor how much sodium you eat each day for a week. Also track what you eat. Get a small log book and write it all in it. If you have a headache, write that down on that day as well. Go back a couple days and look at sodium and food selection. Sometimes, there will be a trigger food that is causing the headache and it will show itself after a few incidences. Other times it's a lack of sodium intake, especially if you have done some physical activity that day or the day before.

As for weather causing problems, that is a pressure and pathogen issue. As the pressure from and oncoming front changes, our blood flow to extremities and cutaneous areas increases. Our immune system is able to find and kill pathogens that normally get a pass. Situations like this, it really helps to exercise regularly or stretch often. That increases blood flow similarly to an oncoming weather system. Or you could take immediate release Niacin which causes flushing of the skin but most people don't like the way it makes them feel. I take the immediate release Niacin.
Thanks for the info. Immediate release niacin in the morning when I wake up? I've never tried it but it's worth a try.
__________________
2023 BMW M3 6MT (On Order)
2023 BMW X7 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

'20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 03:54 AM   #9
Kick 6
Private First Class
Kick 6's Avatar
245
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Thanks for the info. Immediate release niacin in the morning when I wake up? I've never tried it but it's worth a try.
Start with a low dose and work your way up on dosage. It can drop the hammer on some people. It's like taking one step back and two steps forward.

FYI, most of us older Americans are deficient on multiple B Vitamins. Our microbiome isn't where it needs to be because of our "American" diet.
__________________
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 2
wtwo310714.00
DocL1519.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST