BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > E 82 vs F20/F22

07-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

E 82 vs F20/F22

I was wondering if anyone has direct experience comaparing these two.
I drive a 135 and love it to bits[ interior seems outdated though].. I just wish I had bought it than lease it.I like it for what its made for.... an awesome daily driver with enough oomph to bring a smile to you every day.
I have heard troubling details about the [electronic]steering on the F22.
I wanted to know if BMW has lost its moola .

Is this new 1/2 er the "ultimate driving machine" or is it "JOY"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have driven some cars of the previous 1-series (not the E82/135i though), and I prefer the new one. It has a wider track and better balance. I have the regular steering in mine (no variable stuff), and think it feels very precise. It is maybe slightly lighter in feel compared to the older models, but that is easy to get used to. I can still feel the grip through the steering.

The suspension (M Sport) is softer in the new one, but there is not enough body movement to bring the car out of balance, even when driven hard on a track. The interior in the car is also one step up from the previous generation.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

With the same engine, I am pretty sure I could drive faster around a track or slalom course with the new one. The old one had more understeer in some situations, and was more unsettled over bumps. The virtual limited slip differential with DSC off is also a very important step forward. I can go very early on the throttle now.

The first impression is more sporty with the old one, since it has firmer steering and suspension. If you push both cars to the limit, the new one feels more capable.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
With the same engine, I am pretty sure I could drive faster around a track or slalom course with the new one. The old one had more understeer in some situations, and was more unsettled over bumps. The virtual limited slip differential with DSC off is also a very important step forward. I can go very early on the throttle now.

The first impression is more sporty with the old one, since it has firmer steering and suspension. If you push both cars to the limit, the new one feels more capable.
Quote:
I have driven some cars of the previous 1-series (not the E82/135i though), and I prefer the new one. It has a wider track and better balance. I have the regular steering in mine (no variable stuff), and think it feels very precise. It is maybe slightly lighter in feel compared to the older models, but that is easy to get used to. I can still feel the grip through the steering.

The suspension (M Sport) is softer in the new one, but there is not enough body movement to bring the car out of balance, even when driven hard on a track. The interior in the car is also one step up from the previous generation.
Does the suspension get firmer in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The suspension gets firmer in Sport mode if you have adaptive suspension. I selected the regular M Sport suspension, since I don't want the suspension to be softer in other drive modes. Without adaptive suspension and steering, the car feels rather sporty to drive even in Eco Pro mode (except for the throttle response, of course).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Only my opinion here

I have driven a friends 130i and had a new 125i M sport for the weekend to trial it.

I have now driven both cars up the twisty roads to Mt Glorious and around the lakes.

Whilst on paper the 125i has not got the power of the 130i, it feels quicker and a lot more planted to the road, probably because of the better weight distribution.

For me the 125i M Sport was the better car on winding roads.

I would like to see both go round a track and see the difference there.

I do know that the 125i M is a far better place to be in than the 130i or my current 120i.
Can't wait to get my 125i M Sport.

If you want the extra horses to race off everything at the lights get the new F21 M135i.
Appreciate 0