BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > The Running Thread

06-09-2021, 06:35 AM   #221
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I am not a coach, but I'm familiar with training cycles and periodization (more so as a race cyclist) though and have decent experience with running.
I will say this is an awesome attitude to have, but also dangerous when it comes to over training and fatigue/injury as you noted. I'm sure others can provide better targeted advice like Dlpfcb , but I'd say be weary of over training so that you don't lose quality in your workouts and plateau.
Completely understand, I know my body fairly well. I will definitely ensure that I get a full rest day in while moving forward, I'm not new to training in any sense, just new to establishing a goal pertaining to running. I always trained for speed and power throughout my athletic career, and I am now close to the lightest I have ever been, hence why I am establishing a different goal just to mix things up. Follwing Dlpfcb workout right now and so far it has been solid (only two days in haha). One thing I noticed that I was doing wrong just based on the outline he provided is that I was only training for the distance pertaining to my goal. Meaning just trying to hit that 5k mark as fast as I could, and when I say I was training, it was more so in a casual sense. The goal wasn't firm at that time - where as now I am pretty motivated. I failed to train cardio further then the 5k distance I was shooting for, most likely why I didn't see too much progression. Feeling good so far and the honeymoon weight is falling off so I can't complain one bit! Today was a nice easy 4mile run (as well as my usual 35-40min lift)!
Appreciate 1
dc503131.00
      06-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #222
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Completely understand, I know my body fairly well. I will definitely ensure that I get a full rest day in while moving forward, I'm not new to training in any sense, just new to establishing a goal pertaining to running. I always trained for speed and power throughout my athletic career, and I am now close to the lightest I have ever been, hence why I am establishing a different goal just to mix things up. Follwing Dlpfcb workout right now and so far it has been solid (only two days in haha). One thing I noticed that I was doing wrong just based on the outline he provided is that I was only training for the distance pertaining to my goal. Meaning just trying to hit that 5k mark as fast as I could, and when I say I was training, it was more so in a casual sense. The goal wasn't firm at that time - where as now I am pretty motivated. I failed to train cardio further then the 5k distance I was shooting for, most likely why I didn't see too much progression. Feeling good so far and the honeymoon weight is falling off so I can't complain one bit! Today was a nice easy 4mile run (as well as my usual 35-40min lift)!
I hear ya, I was definitely a 'fast twitch' athlete for the majority of my life and this kind of training was such uncharted territory for me too. Sounds like you got a great start going!
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      06-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #223
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
In the past, I have been able to make gains in running pace by doing some type of HIIT at least twice a week. I only say "in the past" because I am at the age now where I am focused primarily on minimizing loss rather than making gains. I also find that varying the type of cardio workouts I do helps dramatically with recovery time. Maybe do spin class once a week, or jump on the rowing machine at the gym.

Furthermore, intensity tends to be higher when in a group setting because there is natural competition and because you are getting constant feedback about how you measure up against others whose performance capabilities are a known entity to you. So find people with similar goals - whether it is a local running club or an exercise facility with group coached workouts of some type.

Finally, pick a race / competition to enter, and decide on a level of achievement that is realistic. This helps put meaning behind your goals other than "just because it would be great to go faster / longer".
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #224
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

I, too, have a rather unhealthy obsession that dates back to when I was a heavyset kid who couldn't muster anything faster than a 13 minute mile in PE that was followed by taunting and shame by other kids (grade school is just great!)

I've ran steadily since I was 22 but the progress has been slow. 8:30 miles used to be fast for me and I've slowly chipped away at it. Unfortunately I've seem to hit the limit of what my body is willing to do. On a good well rested day I can maybe get under a 22 min 5K out, and I think my fastest was a sustained 7:01/mile 5K. I just seem to have trouble sustaining quicker paces. I think the fastest I've tried running on a mile was 6:30?

I try to run almost 3-4 miles everyday during the work week, mostly as a way to destress from my job. Weekends are rest/cheat days. I think this continuous running and few rest periods is working to my detriment in terms of pace and improvement. My ankles sometimes are my weakest point and have been an issue on and off the last 4-5 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #225
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
I, too, have a rather unhealthy obsession that dates back to when I was a heavyset kid who couldn't muster anything faster than a 13 minute mile in PE that was followed by taunting and shame by other kids (grade school is just great!)

I've ran steadily since I was 22 but the progress has been slow. 8:30 miles used to be fast for me and I've slowly chipped away at it. Unfortunately I've seem to hit the limit of what my body is willing to do. On a good well rested day I can maybe get under a 22 min 5K out, and I think my fastest was a sustained 7:01/mile 5K. I just seem to have trouble sustaining quicker paces. I think the fastest I've tried running on a mile was 6:30?

I try to run almost 3-4 miles everyday during the work week, mostly as a way to destress from my job. Weekends are rest/cheat days. I think this continuous running and few rest periods is working to my detriment in terms of pace and improvement. My ankles sometimes are my weakest point and have been an issue on and off the last 4-5 years.

I think your pace is actually good. Running the same/similar mileage five-days straight and if your doing the same route, I think your a good runner.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #226
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Runkeeper. Boston Announcer

"Where you going, the aquarium? Slow down kid"

Should I be offended :
      07-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #227
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Runs are getting better, feeling lighter on my feet. Consistently running my 5miles under 40mins, quickest is 38:30. This morning I ran it in 40mins flat and barely felt like I was pushing so I was pretty happy with that, could've kept running.

Was 16seconds off my 5k goal of 21mins the other day - in my defense it was pouring down rain and I was completely soaked even into my shoes for the entire 3.1miles. Next time I push for it I'm sure I can get it. Plan to take the goal down to sub 20min for the 5k. Would also like to get a sub 45min 10k.

I bet my numbers would really improve if my damn wife would stop being a bad influence on my diet haha. Think I've gained a few lbs since starting to progress in my runs - legs are getting beefier and more toned. Sitting right around 185lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #228
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I admit that I actually need for 5km exact 34'55".
My goal is between 25' and 30', on my way to go, the pulse line is dropping and its time to increase speed the next time.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #229
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Today I had beaten all my previous times and achieved 5km in exact 33':00"
The pulse line crossed the speed line around the middle of the track and Im curious to get some tips from you, how and when you are increasing speed and step frequence.
Until now the distance is the fix and the time the variable part.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane68912.00
      08-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #230
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
The pulse line crossed the speed line around the middle of the track and Im curious to get some tips from you, how and when you are increasing speed and step frequence.
That's good for your age group. I did my Half yesterday in 84 minutes. I came first in my age group ( 30-35) and third female overall.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      08-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #231
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
That's good for your age group. I did my Half yesterday in 84 minutes. I came first in my age group ( 30-35) and third female overall.
Sounds nice, how far was your said half?
Maybe I start at the next official Airport run when the pandemic let it through. Until this is possible, Im improving my time but actually I got no idea where my best time within my age group lies. For the official German sports medal I have to beat 3km at max 17 minutes, that shouldnt be a too big problem.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #232
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Sounds nice, how far was your said half?
Half marathon or 22 kilometers.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      08-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #233
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Half marathon or 22 kilometers.
My little runaway

Appreciate 1
Lady Jane68912.00
      08-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #234
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I've only been running for about 1.5 years, and my first event training was for a 5km race. In the very beginning, I was running about same time as you, and during the race, I ran a 24:09 5km race.

I highly recommend finding a training plan which includes different exercises. When I was starting off in the beginning, I was running about 3KM before work 5 to 6 days a week. With the training, I was doing 4 days spread through the week. This is just me, but I run at a comfortable pace for 3KM, then really pick up the pace the last 2KM. Works fine for me, but now, I try to be more consistent through the whole distance.

Hope this helps!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      08-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #235
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Very nice!! 84 is very strong I the women's division! Congratulations, I would be proud of that as well. I love the half, my favorite race. All out crazy fast and long enough to be strategic.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane68912.00
      08-31-2021, 06:17 AM   #236
Ddutton
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

Beginner thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #237
Ddutton
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

Getting motivated
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #238
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

For the beginners take it easy! Please listen to this advice if your new. Over 90% of runners get injured there first year by making running mistakes. Few tips if your starting out.

- 80% is diet and only 20% is working out. Just because you ran 3 miles doesn't mean you can eat everything. You will still not lose weight. Remember it's only burning about 100 calories a mile. 300 calories can be erased by a candy bar.
- Running doesn't feel great at the beginning. Take it 1 - 2 miles a day and add some body strength exercises.
- Day 1-2 days a rest at the beginning. And only increase weekly mileage by no more that 10% per week. So if you run 20 miles in a week only run 22 the next and so on.
- Most running injuries are because runners skip on strength training. Do 1 - 2 days a week of some light weights for 30 minutes.
- I run 70+ miles a week now and I will tell you beginner or not mile 1 always sucks and feels horrible. It's not just you. Take it easy always on mile 1 let the body wake up.
- Avoid static stretching. Science has finally come out that it's not good. Think about your "warm up" is to pull on cold muscles!! Always stretch after a run. Before keep it to a moving warm up.
- Last rule, if it's 85 and below you don't need a gallon of water. You will be fine! If the weather is nice and not crazy hot you can go for almost 90 minutes without anything. Don't think you need water for a 30 minute workout. Focus on the run.

Hope that helps and always reach out if you all need any advice.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
W///7435.50
      08-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #239
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
- Avoid static stretching. Science has finally come out that it's not good. Think about your "warm up" is to pull on cold muscles!! Always stretch after a run. Before keep it to a moving warm up.
- Last rule, if it's 85 and below you don't need a gallon of water. You will be fine! If the weather is nice and not crazy hot you can go for almost 90 minutes without anything. Don't think you need water for a 30 minute workout. Focus on the run.
I never did do stretches at the beginning, and people always looked at me funny. I need some blood in those muscles before I can stretch them, so let's just take off easy and try to get the metronome in the head working the feet first. OR get a song (Mary had a little lamb) stuck in my brain, so I forget that I'm doing something most other modern humans don't.

5km does not need water stations

LAst night was bad. I'm type 1 diabetic. I was at 300 when I got home from work. Took a small shot, and went for my 5km (to lower sugar) When I got home I was 60. Wife already had chicken ready, and quickly made a whole pot of mashed potatoes. I think I had 4 helpings of that, along with an actual orange soda, chicken, and some salad. I was over-compensating. That was at ~6. I waite duntil after eating, so I could guage just how many cards I had, to take my meal bolus. I went up 3 units due to 4 helpings of potato.

By 9, I was at 50. I had a root beer. At 10 I was jolted out of initial sleep sweating like a pig. Now I'm at LO (<40) Another orange soda, 20g of glucose, and a small gatorade.
At 2, I wake up to pee (too many sodas). Check, I'm 129, that is just crazy normal considering.
5:30, and I'm 209

So, all that work I did to run the 5km, burned maybe 300 cal? To counteract that I added back 1000+
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #240
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
For the beginners take it easy! Please listen to this advice if your new. Over 90% of runners get injured there first year by making running mistakes. Few tips if your starting out.

- 80% is diet and only 20% is working out. Just because you ran 3 miles doesn't mean you can eat everything. You will still not lose weight. Remember it's only burning about 100 calories a mile. 300 calories can be erased by a candy bar.
- Running doesn't feel great at the beginning. Take it 1 - 2 miles a day and add some body strength exercises.
- Day 1-2 days a rest at the beginning. And only increase weekly mileage by no more that 10% per week. So if you run 20 miles in a week only run 22 the next and so on.
- Most running injuries are because runners skip on strength training. Do 1 - 2 days a week of some light weights for 30 minutes.
- I run 70+ miles a week now and I will tell you beginner or not mile 1 always sucks and feels horrible. It's not just you. Take it easy always on mile 1 let the body wake up.

Hope that helps and always reach out if you all need any advice.
This is wonderful advice and more or less what I've been following since I stated running back in May 2020. I'm currently at about 20 miles per week, but I'm in the best shape of my life.

The one thing I'd add to this excellent list is that nutrition really does matter before and after your run IMHO. If it's just a 5k jog, maybe not so much, but I found out as I increased my distance, this was really holding me back. My workouts just weren't as good as they could be. I was always good about hydrating before, but now I really look at my carbs and protein intake before and after what runs. I live in SC, so it was critical for me to bring water along (I just bring those hand held flasks), even if it's just a 45 mins run. Once I started those doing those 2 things, my training has gotten much better and I'm back to losing weight again after being on a plateau (lost 20+ lbs since I started running).

Also a good nights sleep. What I found interesting is that once I really started taking running more seriously, it doesn't feel like a chore and everything else like nutrition and rest followed afterwards. Now there's many more good habits, although I still enjoy a nice (unhealthy) meal every now and again.

May I ask what a moving warm up entails?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #241
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Today running went very well compared to Monday, (first pic) beat the clock to 1s down to overall 30'41" on 5km but this time I found the rythm, stepfrequency and pulseline stays below speed.
I'll try again on Friday to enable this before increasing more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Lady Jane68912.00
      09-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #242
stevehollx
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xdrive30i

I had a goal of breaking 20m on a 5k for the first time in my life. I was seconds off in high school (was ever only an average LD runner), ran 20:06 but it may not have been a full 5k distance as some courses were allowed to be 3.0mi.

Had a goal to break it in 2015, never hit it. Tried again this year and hit 20:48 on the track. Then I got distracted by cycling as the weather got nice, and haven’t run at all since due to the recovery cost of running impacting cycling training.

On track to hit 5k miles on the bike this year, in about 380-400 hours of effort or so. Satisfied to be back in consistent shape for the first time in 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0