BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Harrassed because I drive a BMW?

06-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #89
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

It's not only car drivers. A motorcyclist cut in front of me on the bridge this morning; his rear wheel was probably not more than five feet in front of my bumper. He didn't signal, either. If I'd been accelerating when he suddenly whipped in front of me, I might have hit him. I gave him a long blast on the horn, and he turned in his saddle, looked at me (probably wondering "WTF?"), refrained from making a rude gesture, and accelerated away.

I saw him using his turn signal a moment later. so maybe he'd had a momentary lapse. But damn, to have one of those little vehicles appear in your headlights without warning --!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #90
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Frankfurt area.
I was told that this is a particularly rich/rude area.

I have had better luck when I venture out of here, like in the cologne area for example.
One thing that factors in is that Germans absolutely hate loud cars.
I have an AA midpipe and non catted downpipes with the stock rear end.
I generally don't drive in residential areas with the valves open because they just can't take it.
Interesting.
Did you know that it is illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday? Because of the noise. That amused us no end when we visited Germany and learned that.

It would be a good rule here too.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #91
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
It is! Coming from San Diego to here in OH most cars are domestics. They really do frown upon anything imports or European. They really support Ford, Chevy, Dodge, ect.
I've found this sentiment is way less in Ohio than Michigan because several prominent "import" cars are assembled in Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #92
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
When you meet an asshole who is a terrible driver, then congrats, you met an asshole today. When everyone you meet is an asshole and terrible then perhaps it's time to start looking in a mirror?
Common denominator is....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #93
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Interesting.
Did you know that it is illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday? Because of the noise. That amused us no end when we visited Germany and learned that.

It would be a good rule here too.
omg yes.
They are obsessed with rules.
Yeah I went to vacuum my car at a gas station with a vac and they refused to give me change to use the machine because they said it was illegal to use on sunday.
It's also illegal to throw glass bottles away on sunday because it makes noise.
It's illegal to make noise in general after 8 or 9 pm ish i think.
They are taxed to death as well. 19% sales tax, with another 40-50% income tax. They pay taxes on their TV's and Radios.
They pay tax on their refrigerators, they pay tax on how much rain water their roof blocks from hitting the ground.
I downloaded a couple of movies online and I was sent an 800 euro bill for each one from a law firm. Very very oppressed society here.

Place isn't as great as people think it is. in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #94
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
omg yes.
They are obsessed with rules.
Yeah I went to vacuum my car at a gas station with a vac and they refused to give me change to use the machine because they said it was illegal to use on sunday.
It's also illegal to throw glass bottles away on sunday because it makes noise.
It's illegal to make noise in general after 8 or 9 pm ish i think.
They are taxed to death as well. 19% sales tax, with another 40-50% income tax. They pay taxes on their TV's and Radios.
They pay tax on their refrigerators, they pay tax on how much rain water their roof blocks from hitting the ground.
I downloaded a couple of movies online and I was sent an 800 euro bill for each one from a law firm. Very very oppressed society here.

Place isn't as great as people think it is. in my opinion.

I agree. I was only there for two weeks visiting my daughter, but I was SO surprised at how different everything was. I thought that being another wealthy western country it would be much like the US. Boy was I wrong.

My daughter lived in Germany for two separate years, and is heading back there with her husband for both to attend graduate school. They will be in Munich. The university is free.

It is very different than US!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #95
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

I agree. I was only there for two weeks visiting my daughter, but I was SO surprised at how different everything was. I thought that being another wealthy western country it would be much like the US. Boy was I wrong.

My daughter lived in Germany for two separate years, and is heading back there with her husband for both to attend graduate school. They will be in Munich. The university is free.

yup, grass isn't always greener.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #96
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

The university is free.

That aspect sounds pretty darn green to me. Just look at what college prices have done to poor old Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman . Tsk tsk. Its not so bad in Canada I think, but one still needs to stick away some serious coin for college tuition for the kids up here.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #97
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
That aspect sounds pretty darn green to me. Just look at what college prices have done to poor old Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman . Tsk tsk. Its not so bad in Canada I think, but one still needs to stick away some serious coin for college tuition for the kids up here.
Yes, free college/university is huge. Right now, in the US, we are doing nothing but impoverishing our college kids and loading them up with staggering debt.

Those kids would otherwise be able to buy homes and cars, and contribute substantially to the economy. Instead they are living at home with parents and spending most of their meager income on their debt.

As it is right now, only banks benefit from the college farce.
I seriously hate banks.
Appreciate 2