BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Chip turning

02-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
vvasilis
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i LCI

Chip turning

Gd day,

I am interested in buying a chip for my 118i LCI. Before I do that, I have a question. I know that the chip as well has driving modes. So, I am in my car and have selected eco pro mode. In the same time the chip is let's say in sport mode. What is going to happen? Which one is telling the car how to respond? The car which is in eco pro mode or the chip that is in sport mode? I am confused...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The chip does not have it's own driving modes, but software tuning of a car can remap the differerent driving modes the car has. You still select it from the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
vvasilis
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i LCI

I see, thanks. I was under the impression that it would have to be both the car and the chip in the same "page" in order to work smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

As far as i know the driving modes do not affect the power output of the car,they do affect the sharpness of the acceleration pedal and thus it might appear that the car is slower of faster depending on what mode you are in
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
As far as i know the driving modes do not affect the power output of the car,they do affect the sharpness of the acceleration pedal and thus it might appear that the car is slower of faster depending on what mode you are in
There is no power difference between Comfort and Sport, but Eco Pro seems to be down on power. Sometimes the software tuning leaves Eco Pro stock, and increases the power only in the other modes.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There is no power difference between Comfort and Sport, but Eco Pro seems to be down on power.
Why would the manufacturer conceal that? They do appear to issue a "Full performance not available." warning appropriately.

Quote:
Sometimes the software tuning leaves Eco Pro stock, and increases the power only in the other modes.
Do you really mean it works that way or is it a guess? Inconsistent power can cost you a lot. Like an incorrect gear selected. Inconsiderate tuning is just another mistake to make.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Why would the manufacturer conceal that? They do appear to issue a "Full performance not available." warning appropriately.
Because you select Eco Pro yourself. It is optimised for economy, not power. The warning about reduced power is an error message to notify the driver that the car is not working properly.

Quote:
Do you really mean it works that way or is it a guess? Inconsistent power can cost you a lot. Like an incorrect gear selected. Inconsiderate tuning is just another mistake to make.
It varies between the different tuners. I know there are tunes that uses the drive modes to select different power levels, but others tune all.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because you select Eco Pro yourself. It is optimised for economy, not power.
They claim certain power unconditionally. They don't mention power change in the manual describing the driving modes. They can't set you up: you have the right to know what you get selecting a mode and they do provide certain details. It's not a lottery where you "select it yourself". Optimization by cutting power can give plenty of saving. Eco Pro's benefit is negligible, as we know. Simply put: why do you think Eco Pro lacks the power? Is it only an impression (I didn't notice much difference, I recall) or any objective data?

Quote:
I will try to do some runs to measure power in the different modes later this summer.
Did you?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
They claim certain power unconditionally. They don't mention power change in the manual describing the driving modes. They can't set you up: you have the right to know what you get selecting a mode and they do provide certain details. It's not a lottery where you "select it yourself". Optimization by cutting power can give plenty of saving. Eco Pro's benefit is negligible, as we know. Simply put: why do you think Eco Pro lacks the power? Is it only an impression (I didn't notice much difference, I recall) or any objective data?

Did you?
I think I only did some testing between Comfort and Sport, to confirm they have the same power. In the 118i LCI, I don't think I have even tried the Eco Pro mode yet! :-)

Back in the 116i-days, I sometimes used Eco Pro, and there were times where I needed power going uphill, and changed back to Comfort to get it. I do not have any objective measurements to back up these memories.

The motivation to actually test this has come back to me now.

Regarding unconditional power, that is not the case. The power depends on the weather and what type of fuel you filled it up with.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Regarding unconditional power, that is not the case. The power depends on the weather and what type of fuel you filled it up with.
I meant the driving modes. They do (did) reference the 98 fuel in the technical data on their site. But not the weather. Dirty cheaters!
Appreciate 0