BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Z5, Z1 and Z3

08-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #45
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Drive a car with an S65 and report back with your pleasure
Oh, I agree, it's an incredible engine. It just seems like some people want BMW to cram it in everything.

Personally, with the move to CFRP and other lightweight technologies, a small Z car would probably be better off with a lighter drivetrain than the e9x. I'm thinking a new lightweight, high rev, straight 6?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It seems like they currently have a love affair with N54 and it's variants/spinoffs, so that'd be my guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4xtreme View Post
It might sound exciting from the cooperation line, but..... A BMW Z-Series with crappy-cheap Japanese parts it's a sad drop into oblivion.

Reliability? Give me a break!!!!
E85/86 and e89, might not be perfect, but I will rather visit the dealer more often than drive a Japanese rice piece of crap!

Don't even dare to mention junk wannabes like the Z06, ZR1 or the GTR. Unless you consider a carton shoebox a refined sports car.

I hope they release this as a sub-brand and not as a BMW, otherwise we all might as well flush our car keys into toilets and start migrating to Porsche and Benz.

This post reeks of ignorance and arrogance like no other

"Japanese rice piece of crap" Racist much?

You do know Mercedes and Nissan work together too, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #47
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Oh, I agree, it's an incredible engine. It just seems like some people want BMW to cram it in everything.
Ironically, with the N74 notwithstanding, it's probably the least used BMW engine by model distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Personally, with the move to CFRP and other lightweight technologies, a small Z car would probably be better off with a lighter drivetrain than the e9x. I'm thinking a new lightweight, high rev, straight 6?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It seems like they currently have a love affair with N54 and it's variants/spinoffs, so that'd be my guess.
I agree that an S65 would be overkill for a CF-based Z3, but I think Scott26 alluded to the Z5 being the only new Z car to get a lot of carbon fiber, and I think that will be more of a mid-size sports car, making it perfect for an S65 (or better yet, an S65B44). That said, I'm no fool -- I think it'll be a very, very long time before we see a new NA engine from BMW for any car, sports car or otherwise.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 09-02-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #48
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

The 3 cylinder engine in the i8 uses BMW's 500cc/cyclinder architecture right?

So make it a 3 litre i6 and you have over 450 hp right there.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #49
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
It might sound exciting from the cooperation line, but..... A BMW Z-Series with crappy-cheap Japanese parts it's a sad drop into oblivion.

E85/86 and e89, might not be perfect, but I will rather visit the dealer more often than drive a Japanese rice piece of crap!

Don't even dare to mention junk wannabes like the Z06, ZR1 or the GTR. Unless you consider a carton shoebox a refined sports car.

I hope they release this as a sub-brand and not as a BMW, otherwise we all might as well flush our car keys into toilets and start migrating to Porsche and Benz.
If anybody was curious why manufacturers don't seem to listen to guys on car forums, look no further than this guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #50
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
My take on this is that a Z5 roadster/coupe will move upmarket from the current Z4 and compete with the likes of the Jaguar F-type, Mercedes SL, and Porsche 911 cabriolets. A Z3 roadster/coupe would then hopefully be a little more "back-to-basics" than the current Z4 and compete with the new C7 Corvette and Porsche Boxster/Cayman.
      08-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #51
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Wow, elitist much? Why do you assume all Japanese parts are 'crappy' and 'cheap'? Japanese cars are some of the most reliable on the road. The fact that you consider the Z06, ZR1, and GTR to be 'junk wannabes' proves you are not a true enthusiast.
      08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #52
The Shoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M COUPE

just to point out the s65 v8 does weigh less than the s54 I6 in the e86 m coupes. for a true focused roadster N/A is the only way to go. intercoolers and turbos are great but they still add weight. lets see 8400rpm. with thru lightweight chassis 25mpg should be no problem for a z5 with an s65 motor....I would buy it in a heartbeat as long as they stay true to the shooting brake. look at the ferrari f12 or ff amazing shooting brake style.

just bring back the ultimate driving machine a 2 seater NA beast that weighs 2900-3200 lbs. We know u can do it BMW.
      08-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #53
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shoe View Post
just to point out the s65 v8 does weigh less than the s54 I6 in the e86 m coupes. for a true focused roadster N/A is the only way to go. intercoolers and turbos are great but they still add weight. lets see 8400rpm. with thru lightweight chassis 25mpg should be no problem for a z5 with an s65 motor....I would buy it in a heartbeat as long as they stay true to the shooting brake. look at the ferrari f12 or ff amazing shooting brake style.

just bring back the ultimate driving machine a 2 seater NA beast that weighs 2900-3200 lbs. We know u can do it BMW.
As much as I would love to see the v8 as well, I remember reading that the S65 goes away with the e92 m3. Apparently high revs, while fun, fly in the face of the company's efficiency goals.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
My take on this is that a Z5 roadster/coupe will move upmarket from the current Z4 and compete with the likes of the Jaguar F-type, Mercedes SL, and Porsche 911 cabriolets. A Z3 roadster/coupe would then hopefully be a little more "back-to-basics" than the current Z4 and compete with the new C7 Corvette and Porsche Boxster/Cayman.
C7 will likely be out of even the Z5's league, let alone the Z3. A recent test showed the c7 pulling something like 1.06g, less than 100 ft to brake from 60, and the qtr in the low 12's.

Just a guess at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the turbo 3-cyl in the z1, n20 in the z3, and some n55 variant in the z5.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #55
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

LOL

I will take this "Japanese rice piece of crap!" over your Z4 any day of the week.

I am a former owner of an 1992 and 2002 modified Acura NSX. These cars are way ahead of the basic 3.0 Z4.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Like a concept says a lot!! Very beautiful!!

Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #57
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

I love my Z4. It is one of the better looking hardtop roadsters currently available. I hope that when they do come up with a replacement that a hardtop be made available.

And this rumor of an optional hybrid is very interesting, I wouldn't mind a roadster that has the I6 engine with 300+ hp while giving good mpg(us), something like 21 city 30 highway. Maybe an improve version of the active hybrid 3 series engine, that have a lighter battery to accommodate what will be a small place to put the battery in a roadster or coupe.

I'm looking more for a GT roadster than an all out sports car that is stiff as hell. Adaptive suspensions and dampers might help for those people that are looking for sportscar. Just giving my 2 cents on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #58
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
C7 will likely be out of even the Z5's league, let alone the Z3. A recent test showed the c7 pulling something like 1.06g, less than 100 ft to brake from 60, and the qtr in the low 12's.

Just a guess at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the turbo 3-cyl in the z1, n20 in the z3, and some n55 variant in the z5.
Yeah, performance wise, these proposed Z cars probably won't reach the level of the C7 which is an absolute best bang for the buck performance bargain. I was thinking merely in terms of price point for other coupes and roadsters.
      08-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #59
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I would be a shame if the next Z model isn't competitive with the c7 etc.

I personally believe the reason they did not sell too well in the US is insufficient performance for the sticker price.

The only reason I have a z435 instead of 135/335 is the high residual and huge discounting resulting in z4 lease payment that is the similar. No way I would have gone for z if it was full price there just isn't enough go for e89 to be a mid $60k car, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #60
theART
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Varies with season.

Z5 sounds bigger and more expensive then Z4, and Z4 was just right in seize but still expensive, if Z5 tips over 3400lbs then do not want.

Z3 sounds great but only if it looks like a BMW not a Toyota/Lexus.

Z1 FWD, do not want.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theART View Post
Z5 sounds bigger and more expensive then Z4, and Z4 was just right in seize but still expensive, if Z5 tips over 3400lbs then do not want.

Z3 sounds great but only if it looks like a BMW not a Toyota/Lexus.

Z1 FWD, do not want.
Let me get one thing clear which I must say pisses me off.

Is that the BMW/Toyota collaboration extends to technology and architecture.
Engines will be from BMW for the BMW as will design and chassis engineering , each brand have their own character and this will be evident.
The interior and the exterior will be from BMW. Toyota will design their own exterior and interior. The BMW will be a BMW and the Toyota will be a Toyota.

Both Toyota and BMW share the same unique vision when it comes to new products and that creativity is done through innovation , but in amongst this they still exist to satisfy its market and customers with what they require.

There is far too much jingoistic views when it comes to this agreement which is purely about two manufacturers that share a unique vision into progressing the automobile to an ever changing world.

The collaboration could extend to mid sized replacement for the Z4 as the next Z4 will be the Z5. Hypothetically this could be developed with the successor for the GT86 or other sports cars Toyota have planned for.

With the aspect of Hybrid technology both companies are also investigating options for a BMWi and Prius type sports Coupe.

The Z1 makes sense from a product point of view as MINI will replace the Coupe/Roadster with a single sports car which will break away and not simply be an existing MINI but an all new concept but available with Coupe and Roadster.
The Z1 fits in here because again it can share architecture and provide several benefits from the MINI including less weight, a small BMW Roadster Coupe could provide an interesting platform for new customers.

Illustration to show how the BMW Z1 can align itself with the new MINI sports car Coupe and Roadster.
Attached Images

08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #62
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I think Z3 will compete with SLK and TT
and Z5 will compete with F type and Cayman/Boxster

We don't have jack shit to compete with SL, 911, or R8. The best we'll have to offer will be i8 which I must say I'm pretty excited about; something different.

But if BMW doesn't have a proper midengine proper sports super car by 2020, I might leave the brand. It's not a threat but just getting sick of Audi, an inferior brand than a BMW, having a proper midengine super car.

I'm relatively young at age 25 and if you ask people my age or younger which brand is your favorite of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi, 90% of them say Audi. Either because of clean and simple design that's easy on eyes and/or the R8.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #63
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'll take whatever BMW 2 seater that's RWD in coupe or roadster and in the "real" M variant please. Oh and please at least try to keep it lighter.
      08-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #64
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:

HOLY BATMAN! Quit embarrassing yourself. Crappy cheap Japanese parts, Japanese rice piece of crap, and GTR a carton shoebox... You have no clue do you?
      08-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #65
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

My question to Scott is does BMW have any answer to the Corvette Stingray.

There is nothing in that price range or above that BMW makes that can even compete or be called a pure sports car.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #66
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Scott - thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0