BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > RLS sensor

08-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
ghumra
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D SE

RLS sensor

hi all

few weeks ago i posted that i had purchased a new to me f20 120d. one week following purchase i notified synter of a problem with the autowipers/autoheadlights and wash/wipe system

problem was auto wipers did not work at all, they just worked in an intermittant fasion every 5ish seconds

auto lights on all the time even with the bright sun shining down

wipers did not activate when using front washers, they had to me manually activated by pulling down on the stalk

so from notyfing sytner, they agreed to see the problem under warranty, but not till the end of september, now i got bored and starting to read the forums.

today i thought i would have a poke around at the sensor. i took off the cowling around the sensor and to my suprise, there was a orangish/brown plug playing free willy which clearly fit the sensor. i plugged this in and started the car.

majic - autowipers working, autoheadlights did not turn on as it is sunny and 3pm and best of all, my washer problem solved, the sensor "sensed" the water on the screen as soon as washers sprayed and wiped the screen.

my question is, why on earth would this be disconnected? my simpletons guess is only that the car has had a new screen and you can tell the screen was in great condition so must be new and the fitter forgot to plug the sensor back in. could it be as simple as that? or should i sharpishly disconnect it as there may be a significant electrical problem to follow and leave it to BMW? i have kept my appointment and will cancle after a weeks worth of rigorous testing.

just wanted you guys opinion.
Appreciate 0