BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > How to install a license plate light reverse camera

05-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

How to install a license plate light reverse camera

I did this a while back and remember not finding any guides back then so I thought I'd show you how I did it.

Parts needed:
reverse camera and license plate. You can find these for cheap on aliexpress by searching for "rear view camera license Plate f20"

I recommend getting a 4 pin one. You will also need a 4 pin extension cable.

Steps:

Remove license plate light and replace it with the one that includes the camera.
Open the boot and remove the lower part of the rubber seal.
Either use a thin plastic trim tool to route the wire as far as you could to the right or do what I did and pull the wire through the gap and then pull all of it through(took a bit of time). You then reinsert it at the rightmost part of the gap.

After you drop the wire in, feed the rest of it in, it should hit the ground or at least get close to it.
Now get under the car and feel for the black part in the picture below. If you reach it from below you should feel the ventilation? flaps.

Feed the wire through one of the flaps.
Now that the wire is inside the vehicle the rest is easy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Algon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Did you connect the camera to the original iDrive system, or an aftermarket Android or Android Auto/CarPlay system?
Good tutorial btw, but would prefer a camera between the license plate lights myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algon View Post
Did you connect the camera to the original iDrive system, or an aftermarket Android or Android Auto/CarPlay system?
Good tutorial btw, but would prefer a camera between the license plate lights myself.
Thank you.

The camera is only 8cm away from the midpoint between the two lights, may sound like a lot but because the camera has a fish eye lens, you can't see the difference.

I actually have it connected to my dashcam. That way it can record the rear view even at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Algon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

On my previous car I had a license plate light camera which was indeed perfect.
I would just do a seperate camera for a more OEM look.
Appreciate 0