BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > California Bars/Restaurants (Moderator: Non-political discussion only)

11-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #155
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I don't understand why people and the media are shocked by the "surge" in recent cases. Everything is playing out just as the experts warned us back in the spring.

- The initial surge was centered in major US cities. Then it would go into mid-major cities and then finally small cities/towns and rural areas. Older populations would be affected first and then surge across younger populations. This is exactly what's happened.

- As colder weather sets in, cases were expected to surge dramatically. This isn't news.

- The current surge is largely the result of COVID finally reaching the expansiveness of our numerous small cities/towns and rural areas plus the steady on-going cases in more populated areas and increased cases among the sub 50 y/o crowd. This was expected.

- Cases have been going up steadily for weeks and weeks yet deaths are not really increasing and in many areas, they're going down. Medical staff are far better at managing the symptoms now and you're likelihood of dying from COVID has been cut nearly in half now. That is a fact.

- In my county of over 630,000, we have 10 COVID patients in the hospital. Since the start of this thing, we've had a total of 611 COVID hospitalizations. The hospitalization rate has not varied much as all for the past 5 months.

- Kids have been back in the public schools (7th thru 12th = hybrid, K through 6th full-time) since early October and cases haven't exploded or have there been outbreaks in the schools.

- Our county has been under a mask mandate since late June. Everyone wears masks inside all public spaces. I'm even required to wear a mask outside when watching my daughter play soccer. Mask usage and the mandates have not improved case or death wise in the county. Cases have been increasing for months. Color me not surprised.

- Europe's recent restrictions and lock-downs aren't going to help them in the long run other than wreck their economy and cause more grief, frustration, and depression. Restrict and lock-down and cases will go down, open back up and it all goes back up. They can point fingers and laugh at the US, but they are right where we are with surging cases amongst the sub 50 y/o crowd and introduction of COVID into rural areas and little in terms of increased death.

- Why no more talk of Sweden? Their cases have been going up and up since mid-September yet daily deaths have been hovering in the 2 to 4 range since early August.
I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few days restrictions start to lax....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #156
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I am in MA, if you disobey the orders, they will hang you. We have/had 1 guy who kept his gym open, not sure what happened. Obviously got ton of fines, was in top stores in all media, and last I heard they wanted to cut his electricity and water
Upon speaking with a few restaurant owners, it sounds like most of the restaurants in the area are working together with the same legal representation to fight this. Much harder to take a stand as a lone wolf. Certainly something to be said about strength in numbers.
Appreciate 1
TboneS54989.50
      11-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #157
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
There is, however, a diabetes epidemic, and an auto-immune epidemic, an obesity epidemic, & a pollution epidemic if you'd like to discuss those...
I've tried to discuss the "pollution epidemic" since the '70s.
Good luck to you.

Murf
Appreciate 2
TboneS54989.50
      11-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #158
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I am still reading on page 1 but before I forget - there are too many people complaining about how expensive CA is. I thought we were on a BMW board not a Honda or Kia board.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #159
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I will say, in my hospital our lowest Covid count was 10 patients just a handful of weeks ago. At the height of Covid we were at like 70+ cases. As of today we are around 40 again.

Cases and hospitalizations are definitely increasing. Mortality rates, reasons for the surge, etc. are all a separate discussion. But increased demand on the healthcare system are definitely returning.

I will say it is not an automatic death sentence. One of my patients has end stage renal disease, uncontrolled BP, etc. during her hospital course and is doing just fine, ready to go home soon. But of course I've had patients with such comorbidities do poorly. Some colleagues have had multiple people pass away on their service.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
wdb4673.00
      11-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #160
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I will say, in my hospital our lowest Covid count was 10 patients just a handful of weeks ago. At the height of Covid we were at like 70+ cases. As of today we are around 40 again.

Cases and hospitalizations are definitely increasing. Mortality rates, reasons for the surge, etc. are all a separate discussion. But increased demand on the healthcare system are definitely returning.

I will say it is not an automatic death sentence. One of my patients has end stage renal disease, uncontrolled BP, etc. during her hospital course and is doing just fine, ready to go home soon. But of course I've had patients with such comorbidities do poorly. Some colleagues have had multiple people pass away on their service.
Thank you for the work that you do. I can’t imagine it being easy.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17872.50
wdb4673.00
      11-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #161
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

It was a given from day 1. Viruses are more active during this season

I didn't even know that as of yesterday everyone must wear a mask outside in our state. But yet restaurants are open, nursing home visits are allowed (the one place where most died and state failed to protect the people), and state is finally pushing for in-person learning (before it was hybrid). So it makes about zero sense. Oh you also don't have to wear any mask if you have a face shield

I still fail to understand why CDC or anyone else refuses to advise N95 masks for high risk people
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #162
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Was reading local FB group....People are afraid to walk outside because if there is an unmasked person on the sidewalk they can't cross the road safely. This is beyond ridiculous. Another friend on FB posted how she was sitting outside alone in park or whatever, and people walked by saying that its because of people like that Covid is spreading.

For some reason many believe that cure for covid is face coverings and if everyone has it than it will go away.
Appreciate 3
TboneS54989.50
sirdaft12193.50
      11-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #163
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Thank you for the work that you do. I can’t imagine it being easy.
I appreciate it. It's too bad many don't feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #164
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
For some reason many believe that cure for covid is face coverings and if everyone has it than it will go away.
I like maximum distancing.
Please, stay away from me.

Murf
Appreciate 1
TboneS54989.50
      11-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #165
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I went INSIDE to the gym yesterday. First time, and I didn't know the routine. They have a wrist temp checker that talks out loud. IF you get a go, then you can scan your membership card and move about your business. Things are more spread out than usual. I rarely go on a Sunday morning, so don't know what tonight might look like in terms of quantity.

I went to the movies last night. Since cases are trending upwards in my county, that may go back to Netflix/chill again. There were groups of four seat, separated by groups of two, when buying the tickets. No cash was accepted inside, and all the candy was pre-filled into $5 bags.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #166
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So what has been happening in Texas lately? Are there new restrictions now?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11-25-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #167
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
So what has been happening in Texas lately? Are there new restrictions now?
Nope. Not at all.

In fact, both businesses and customer across the board and caring less, especially with the holidays around.

(Mask hanging just on ear, not social distancing, handshakes are back, exc)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #168
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It’s kind of like that in Germany too. People have major COVID fatigue. Everyone still wears a mask, but no social distancing anymore. The government changes its mind about size of gatherings, but I don’t think people care anymore.

But right now restaurants are take out only. No hotel stays, Christmas markets got canceled and in general there is nothing do do outside of drinking.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #169
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

An EMT on another forum I frequent just posted up that all of the hospitals in her county (I'm in Pennsylvania, the county is suburban Philadelphia) are diverting ambulances to other locations. In other words they are all declaring themselves full. I'm not savvy enough about all of that to quite understand what it means but if I were to hazard a guess it is to let some of the hospital staff get a little holiday break if possible. This has to be really really tough on those folks.

She also said they're decontaminating the rigs at an unprecedented rate.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #170
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
An EMT on another forum I frequent just posted up that all of the hospitals in her county (I'm in Pennsylvania, the county is suburban Philadelphia) are diverting ambulances to other locations. In other words they are all declaring themselves full. I'm not savvy enough about all of that to quite understand what it means but if I were to hazard a guess it is to let some of the hospital staff get a little holiday break if possible. This has to be really really tough on those folks.

She also said they're decontaminating the rigs at an unprecedented rate.
As a former EMT, that is not a good sign. It does not mean they are giving their staff a break for the holiday. It means they are at capacity and can't handle any more incoming patients.

When I was doing my time as volunteer, our primary hospital in my first due coverage area had shut down their ER for any further incoming patients because they were overrun and couldn't handle any more. We had to fall back on our secondary options which meant a longer transport time. Later that day they reopened and when we had a patient transport there, the ER still had tons of patients scattered all over. Some were on beds in hallways waiting for admission into the hospital.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #171
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
Moderator: A reminder that this is for non-political discussions only. You may continue to discuss the economic, societal, and personal aspects of the subject but this is not a springboard for political discussion and politically charged posts will be removed.

Being in Texas, bars and restaurants are more of less opened back up, but I just went through San Francisco last week, and literally most of the wine bars, vineyards, exc were all closed, and social distancing was in full enforcement.

This is quite the opposite of Texas, where its 90% back to normal.

Those of you from California, are you ready to move to Texas of Florida!??

Nope. And I'm not from California - I've lived here my entire life, except for my 2 years and 8 months in the US Army, and I have no plans of moving. Heh!

Meanwhile, we're seeing some serious surges in virus infections. Considering the behavior of folks in general, this is of little surprise.

As to our local restaurants, we've had on-again, off-again indoor seating. Currently, indoor seating is off. So what happens. In some areas, the "outdoor" seating is a joke. I'm seeing tent-like coverings, plastic windows, screens, etc. Even though these arrangements are on sidewalks and in car parking spaces, I don't these as authentic "outdoor" seating arrangements.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      11-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #172
_X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Red Int. M3

Great information presented very clearly by First Trust. Click the second link to go directly to the data sheet or go to first link and click Covid tracker.

https://www.ftportfolios.com/Blogs/E...acker-11192020

https://www.ftportfolios.com/Common/...2-926b6a13704a
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      12-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #173
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I hadn't considered that as we head into "winter" and the temps are dropping into the 50s at night, that many LA county restaurants had just got done buying heaters and enclosures for outside dining, and then - CLOSED
Appreciate 1
TboneS54989.50