BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 3 Door F20 has limited markets?

09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hello everyone! I really hope you guys can help me with this. I was talking to my dealer and they said that the 3 door M135i isn't for this market (Saudi Arabia), has anyone else had this problem while ordering the 3 door M135i?

Edit: even for custom orders?

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

It seems the star BMW model for the Middle East is the 7 Series.
I wonder why...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi HasanK
If the F21 135i is not going to be available in KSA, you may want to look at buying it in the UAE.
I saw a F21 3 door 135i at the BMW dealer in Dubai when I was there recently, not sure if it was an order or a demo brought in to guage interest.

If it is available there, buy it and drive it back home.

The only issue you would have is if you get panel damage (highly likely in KSA from my experiences there), however your F21 would be a stand out.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
donaldt
Private
Rep

yup, same here in Hong Kong, we wont get the F21 at least for now
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks a lot guys! AusF20, I checked with my dealer here, I was about to pay the downpayment for the car but I just wanted to double check that the car was the F21 and not the F20 version, I get a reply from the dealer saying "This car is not available for our market" ..... which got me dumbstruck since the car was launched as a 3 door.

As far as I've been told by my dealer, I'm the first person to request this car in Jeddah, which is awesome, I'm just waiting confirmation that we can order the 3 door version. The fact that it's available in the UAE means that it should be available here. Do you know how much it cost in UAE AusF20??

Brenyaman: the star model car here is more of the Alpina B7 and B6. The 7 series is just too mainstream :P
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi HasanK
If the F21 135i is not going to be available in KSA, you may want to look at buying it in the UAE.
I saw a F21 3 door 135i at the BMW dealer in Dubai when I was there recently, not sure if it was an order or a demo brought in to guage interest.

The only issue you would have is if you get panel damage (highly likely in KSA from my experiences there), however your F21 would be a stand out.
Hey AusF20. I have been wanting to order a M135i in Dubai but the salesman has told me that they don't have this car. To begin with he didn't even know what the car was and kept talking about the 1M. He then claimed to realise which car I meant and said they are not selling it yet and don't know when they will get any. I asked to order and one and he said I cant,

This is the same for 3 Abu Dhabi Dealerships and the Dubai one.

Do you have any idea on the price or availability or anyone in particular I should speak to?

Seems strange that you have seen one in the showroom and they have no idea what the car is!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

zj: I had the same problem with the salesman I started with. According to him, you still can't order the car even though i'm one step away from completing the process! I suggest you talk to the showroom manager like I did, or at least someone more knowledgable than the typical salesman.

If you can order it in Saudi, I'm 100% sure you can order it in Dubai. Not so sure about the 3 door though. Gonna ring up my dealer to get a final confirmation today.

Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
UAEBMW
Rep

Im looking at the 5- door so that helps a bit. Seems like the 3 doors are in high demand and production dates for the UK have been slipping about 2 weeks. Whats the price like in Saudi? I hope its like the other cars i the UAE which are about 20 - 30 % cheaper than the UK!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj View Post
Im looking at the 5- door so that helps a bit. Seems like the 3 doors are in high demand and production dates for the UK have been slipping about 2 weeks. Whats the price like in Saudi? I hope its like the other cars i the UAE which are about 20 - 30 % cheaper than the UK!
Yeah, it's cheaper in the UK and more spot on with the european price (makes sense since they're purchasing it from the factory in Germany). A decent specced M135i is around SAR170k-190k, it'll be just a bit cheaper in UAE. A fully specced one around SAR230k-240k

They have the 5-door one in UAE? If I can't get the 3 door, I think I'm going to be content for the 5 door one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanK View Post
Yeah, it's cheaper in the UK and more spot on with the european price (makes sense since they're purchasing it from the factory in Germany). A decent specced M135i is around SAR170k-190k, it'll be just a bit cheaper in UAE. A fully specced one around SAR230k-240k

They have the 5-door one in UAE? If I can't get the 3 door, I think I'm going to be content for the 5 door one.
Im not sure about the UAE, I was just saying I wanted a 5-door and thought it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you mentioned they are not brining the 3 door to KSA which would probably apply to the UAE as well.

Well the car is £30k in the UK inc 20% VAT which is not applicable to the middle east so I was hoping for it to be a bit cheaper. That said Id be looking at a pretty high spec on mine as long as its around 175 - 190k AED.

Ill be heading to Dubai next week so will speak to the dealer and let you know what they say and if they have any coming in.

What kind of a delivery date are the expecting for yours? 2013?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj View Post
Im not sure about the UAE, I was just saying I wanted a 5-door and thought it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you mentioned they are not brining the 3 door to KSA which would probably apply to the UAE as well.

Well the car is £30k in the UK inc 20% VAT which is not applicable to the middle east so I was hoping for it to be a bit cheaper. That said Id be looking at a pretty high spec on mine as long as its around 175 - 190k AED.

Ill be heading to Dubai next week so will speak to the dealer and let you know what they say and if they have any coming in.

What kind of a delivery date are the expecting for yours? 2013?
Still haven't ordered it

I'm waiting on the dealers final decision about 3 door Vs. 5 door. I'm arguing that the car was launched in F21 guise and that AusF20 has seen one in Dubai, hopefully they can pull a cat outta the hat with that!

But when I place the order, I'm looking at end of 2012 early 2013 delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Still haven't ordered it

I'm waiting on the dealers final decision about 3 door Vs. 5 door. I'm arguing that the car was launched in F21 guise and that AusF20 has seen one in Dubai, hopefully they can pull a cat outta the hat with that!

Does'nt really make sense since your ordering it custom anyway! Unless the production line is set up so that oly 5 doors get middle east spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj
Quote:
Still haven't ordered it

Does'nt really make sense since your ordering it custom anyway! Unless the production line is set up so that oly 5 doors get middle east spec.
Thats what I said. Their wording was as follows "currently, the 3 door spec is not for our market"
      09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
donaldt
Private
Rep

same here in Hong Kong, 3 door isnt even available for special order...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi HasanK

For all.
As I said, It is possible that the one I saw was a BMW factory car for the local dealers to guage interest in the model.
I know that many car manufacturers use Dubai as a test city to guage interest on a car not yet released.
As a keen watcher of new cars, I have seen many new car models getting around Dubai on test before they are released.
I saw the new Merc A Class in AMG guise at the Merc dealer there some time ago.
I called in there on my last trip to look at again, only to be told it was not there anymore as it was a Mercedes Germany car.

I would suggest contacting the dealer that it was parked in front of.
It was outside AGMC BMW, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Zi
As mentioned by some of the others.

You need to make sure that if you intend to buy the car in UAE and take it back to the UK, the car is the same spec as the UK car.

I am informed that cars sold in the Middle East have a different spec (+30C) Hot climate, when cars sold in the UK car are (-25C) Cold climate.

They have different heating and cooling systems and options
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
UAEBMW
Rep

Thanks Aus for the heads up. Im actually planning on keeping it in the UAE.

Went into the dealer and they are selling the car just not advertising it.

Only 1 has been ordered so far and I will hopefully be number 2.

Base price quoted here is AED 205,000 with no sat nav or adaptive suspension.

The salesman kind of made up that price whilst he was on the phone to another staff member so I think its more in the region of AED 185k - 190k. If ordered now delivery late Jan.

Also the salesman said it has 2 year warranty! Im pretty sure all BMW come with a 3 year international warranty?

Does anyone know where I can get some documentation to prove this to them to make sure i get the 3 years?

Also I asked for a full price list only to see the old shape 1 series coupe (135i) is priced higher than the M135i and they still have stock! explains the lack of advertising for the M135 in the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Good to hear that it is available in UAE.
For best price, you could also talk to the BMW dealer in Abu Dhabi
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

zj, have you managed to get a price quote from the Dubai dealer? Because they've given up on trying to get the 3 door for me here. I'm just going to compare the price, if they are around the same, I think I'm going to go for the 5 door here since it'll be cheaper since shipping and registration are included.
      09-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
zj, have you managed to get a price quote from the Dubai dealer? Because they've given up on trying to get the 3 door for me here. I'm just going to compare the price, if they are around the same, I think I'm going to go for the 5 door here since it'll be cheaper since shipping and registration are included.
They quoted me AED 205k for a 5 door with the following options:

Leather
Sport auto gearbox
sunroof
PDC front and rear
reversing camera
xenon
rain sensor
dynamic cruise control
comfort access
electri seats with memory
automatic air con
extended bluetooth and usb connectivity

delivery end of january. Still waiting to hear back from Abu Dhabi
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj

They quoted me AED 205k for a 5 door with the following options:

Leather
Sport auto gearbox
sunroof
PDC front and rear
reversing camera
xenon
rain sensor
dynamic cruise control
comfort access
electri seats with memory
automatic air con
extended bluetooth and usb connectivity

delivery end of january. Still waiting to hear back from Abu Dhabi
Interesting. What about the 3 doors?

I got the following quote from my dealer here for the 5 doors:

226,140 SR

Estoril blue
Leather
Sports auto
Adaptive M running gear
Variable sport steering
Comfort access
Rear view camera
Glass roof
Interior and exterior mirror with anti dazzling
Smokers package
Seat adjustment with memory
Lumbar support
Black gloss trim
Aluminum hexagon
Headlight washer
PDC front and rear
Rain sensor
Xenon lights
Adaptive headlights
Dynamic cruise control
Lights package
High beam assistance
Lane departure warning
Navi pro
Harmon kardon
Connectivity with Bluetooth and USB devices
Instrument cluster with extended contents
Gulf version
Hot climate version
Shipping

Compared to yours, I think I've got a sweet deal there.
      09-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. What about the 3 doors?

I got the following quote from my dealer here for the 5 doors:

226,140 SR

Estoril blue
Leather
Sports auto
Adaptive M running gear
Variable sport steering
Comfort access
Rear view camera
Glass roof
Interior and exterior mirror with anti dazzling
Smokers package
Seat adjustment with memory
Lumbar support
Black gloss trim
Aluminum hexagon
Headlight washer
PDC front and rear
Rain sensor
Xenon lights
Adaptive headlights
Dynamic cruise control
Lights package
High beam assistance
Lane departure warning
Navi pro
Harmon kardon
Connectivity with Bluetooth and USB devices
Instrument cluster with extended contents
Gulf version
Hot climate version
Shipping

Compared to yours, I think I've got a sweet deal there.
Thats just the price he said, he kind of made it up on the spot as I said earlier. I think AED 190,000 is realistic for that spec. Added options to match yours works out to about the same price.

He said you can order the 3 door and costs a bit less but didn't get into detail as I want the 5 door anyway. Im going in tomorrow ill ask about the 3 door for you.
Appreciate 0